PDA

View Full Version : More Duty free Booze taken at BNE screening Point

Bravohotel
2nd Aug 2008, 04:45
Heard yesterday of a PX flight (Air Nuigini) on a direct SYD-POM flight diverting into Brisbane (BNE) all pax asked to leave aircraft with all there cabin baggage including duty free....at the screening point proir to going upstairs to the transit & boarding area the screening staff had a field day collecting every passengers duty free booze....must have been quite a haul.....having had the same done to me...brought my bottle in Auckland and forgot about those booze collectors at that stupid screening point....still can't understand why its there.....having boarded an international flight and been through all the checks proir to boarding we have to encounter these uniformed contractors just to go upstairs and connect to another international flight.....I was lucky I got a refund from the Duty free shop in Auckland as they should have asked me if I was transiting in Brisbane....but these poor pax lost the lot!!!! bravohotel

Globaliser
4th Aug 2008, 16:04
Heard yesterday of a PX flight (Air Nuigini) on a direct SYD-POM flight diverting into Brisbane (BNE) all pax asked to leave aircraft with all there cabin baggage including duty free....at the screening point proir to going upstairs to the transit & boarding area the screening staff had a field day collecting every passengers duty free booze....must have been quite a haulIt's barmy when the aircraft has unexpectedy diverted somewhere, and doubly barmy when the sector just flown is SYD-BNE, so all pax would already have been screened to Australian standards anyway.

But it's different from when a passenger's own itinerary would always have required passing through a screening point that does not permit liquids.

beamender99
4th Aug 2008, 19:36
My daughter also got an Aussie welcome.

all pax asked to leave aircraft with all there cabin baggage including duty free....at the screening point proir to going upstairs to the transit & boarding area the screening staff had a field day collecting every passengers duty free booze...

.....having boarded an international flight and been through all the checks proir to boarding we have to encounter these uniformed contractors just to go upstairs and connect to another international flight

She was on a SIN CNS flight that called in as scheduled at Darwin en route so no change of A/C.

Especially miffed as the booze was not sold in Aus and was a present.

Rwy in Sight
4th Aug 2008, 20:39
Last Easter I did find a vodka on an Aluminum (sp?) bottle and I decided to buy it. I was asked where I was flying (it was a very short domestic sector) but I did insist on doing a full packaging. I told them we might diverting and I did not want to argue with the security staff. Talk about being pessimistic.

They did comply no problem and as a matter of fact when I buy a liquid I always request a sealed bag.

Rwy in Sight

Bravohotel
6th Aug 2008, 05:49
I don't think a duty free sealed bag will save you from loosing your grog at these check points.....I would rather tip it down the drain in the toilets or give it away to someone clearing customs....proir to entering these airside screening points

Mr Quite Happy
6th Aug 2008, 16:13
I’m flying regularly between AMS and ZRH and both airports issue seal-able plastic bags but from a security point of view they SHOULD not be possible to count at the other airport. Frankly, the security around the bags (e.g. they are kept at the tills) is a joke, all you need is your 1L of liquid explosive in an old Johnny Walker bottle and to nick (shoplift) a bag.. Alternate of course is to buy one and slit open the bag before re-sealing it with clear tape..

The whole thing has more holes in it than the Bismarck…

The nicking stuff off passengers who are already airside is nuts. I recently came from HKG to LHR to ZRH and had to go through a re-check.
“But I just got off a plane?” I complained
“yes, but we have to re-screen you” she said as if that explained it.
“but why” I pressed
“remember Lockerbie?” she asked, as if that was all there was to the argument

Unfortunately, I am quite well versed in the Lockerbie case

“So a bomb in a radio on a timer checked on a Pan Am flight 20 years ago means that you are checking my hand baggage?”

I got that look that told me to move on…

Its not that I’m against security, in fact, in my line of business, I can’t sell you enough, but please… make it worthwhile.

Globaliser
6th Aug 2008, 16:45
The nicking stuff off passengers who are already airside is nuts.Irrespective of where they've come from? After all, there are some airports (even some first world airports) where individual airlines aren't satisfied with the main screening and have secondary screening at the gate. You'd be happy with everyone going straight on to their next flight without further screening, regardless of how good (or not) the first one was?

fyrefli
6th Aug 2008, 20:51
I’m flying regularly between AMS and ZRH and both airports issue seal-able plastic bags but from a security point of view they SHOULD not be possible to count at the other airport. Frankly, the security around the bags (e.g. they are kept at the tills) is a joke, all you need is your 1L of liquid explosive in an old Johnny Walker bottle and to nick (shoplift) a bag.. Alternate of course is to buy one and slit open the bag before re-sealing it with clear tape..

The whole thing has more holes in it than the Bismarck…

Yes, I wrote to them about this and didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply. I have never seen the security people take anything more than a cursory glance at one of the duty free bags and usually they are completely ignored.

In fairness, it's not AMS's fault that everyone else decided to raise their pointless paranoia rating just after Schiphol had successfully (and sensibly, for so many reasons) got to the end of the process of moving security immediately pre-gate.