PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? Or are all Observers Frustrated Pilots?

doubledolphins
1st Aug 2008, 19:24
Never had a problem in the aviation world with non pilot types but now my Naval Career has moved away from flying I seem to be being continually shafted by ex observers and, just recently, an air engineer officer. Is it me or are they just sad jealous twisted individuals? :sad: Does the light blue have similar issues?

cazatou
1st Aug 2008, 19:56
The language you use makes it difficult to phrase a reply - one does not know whether you are a consenting participant.

Dunhovrin
1st Aug 2008, 20:54
Yes. But not just the one-winged-wonders*. Every blunt in the RAF has a chip on their shoulder. At least in the RN the submariners can look you in the eye.

Light Blue touch paper and retire.(Tha see what I did there?)

* - excepting loadies...

asiaseen
1st Aug 2008, 21:11
As an ex-navigator and Vixen/F4 looker (and, as far as I know, the only RAF nav with captain time on the F4) I can't say I ever had any penis-envy for the XX wing-wearers.

Piggies
1st Aug 2008, 21:57
I was the world's worst pilot.

But I like to think that I'm a pretty good NAVIGATOR.

I think that anyone who has a chip on his / her shoulder about his / her branch needs to take a long, hard look at himself / herself.

Clearly, anyone who flies in the RN does so because he / she couldn't crack it in the Royal Air Force....

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd Aug 2008, 00:30
All non aircrew are frustrated aircrew and all Nav's are failed pilots.................end of :rolleyes:

tarbaby
2nd Aug 2008, 04:39
Must admit I had a big problem trying to convince zoom screech pilots that I had not been chopped that I actually joined as a Nav.
Really did enjoy telling pilots where to go.

goudie
2nd Aug 2008, 18:48
All non aircrew are frustrated aircrew and all Nav's are failed pilots.................

How on earth can 'non-aircrew' be 'frustrated aircrew' when in fact they're not aircrew in the first place and therefore cannot possibly be frustrated aircrew?
Most ridiculous post I've read for some time!

fatobs
2nd Aug 2008, 18:55
doubledolphins

I was an Observer for 16 years and spent that time also being shafted by other Observers, especially GL types, who didn't want to or were too scared to leave the navy.

Now I fly for an airline I always wanted and life is good oh and yes I was a chopped RN pilot although I was in the minority I must confess.

Double Zero
2nd Aug 2008, 21:46
I would take a fair guess that in this computer ( inc. games ) age, a lot of people would like to be the tactician rather than driver.

Fairly soon they will both be on the ground directing a UCAV, or possibly one person doing both - works on the Harrier ( much more difficult just to fly ) right now.

I'd have been happy to be an observer - it's all a matter of trust & bond with the pilot - though still don't fancy the Sea Vixen Coal-Hole !

asiaseen
2nd Aug 2008, 22:15
though still don't fancy the Sea Vixen Coal-Hole !

Not the most fun place to be, I agree. Mind you, the back of a Canberra T4 was not much better

A2QFI
3rd Aug 2008, 06:14
Nor is the navigator location of a PR9! Could be wrong but I think it may be the only 2 seat aircraft where the nav sits in front of the pilot!

rogerk
3rd Aug 2008, 14:15
But us "brown job" observers - of course we wanted to be pilots and many did.
But it was always great when you had more hours in the second seat than the "newby" pilot and the OC flight sent you off with him "just because you knew the local LFA in great detail"
- and on your return you were taken on oneside and asked your opinion of his capabilities !!
:ok::ok:

doubledolphins
15th Aug 2008, 13:58
Guys (and gals?) thanks for your replies. Cheered me up a bit. As for goudie, sorry, every one else seemed to know what that meant. I take it you are not aircrew and never ever wanted to be. So what are you doing here? :ugh:

blue monday
15th Aug 2008, 14:16
I wanted to be a pilot (still do secretly), so ended up joining the RAF as a groind trade, have to say a fair number of ground tradesman are fustrated wannabe sky gods (inc me), who kind of figure well i can't fly 'em so i may aswell work in close proximity to 'em.one or two have gone on to make it as a pilot some mil some civ. I just got as far as solo X country.

The Helpful Stacker
15th Aug 2008, 22:38
I always wanted to be a pilot but bad hayfever as a child pretty much ruined those aspirations. I managed to find my way onto TSW eventually which arguably is as 'teeth arms' as you get in the RAF without being aircrew or a wannabe infantryman.
Luckily my brother didn't have a note from Mum and managed to join the two-winged master race although the Kipper Fleet variety.

Pontius Navigator
16th Aug 2008, 07:19
It can be true that many light-blue navs were chopped pilots but I know of several who were frustrated at failing pilot training and subsequently failed as navs.

Also some navs have cross-trained later to become pilots (it is likely that they were straight-through navs). It is also true that navs make the switch to civilian pilot.

goudie
16th Aug 2008, 08:53
Doubledolphins
My dear chap, do please accept my most humble and sincere apologies for having the temerity to intrude on your (exclusive?) thread with some banter.
I do hope the continual shafting of your good self doesn't last too much longer.
Kind Regards
G.

exscribbler
16th Aug 2008, 10:17
The other way round, surely? :E

Airborne Aircrew
16th Aug 2008, 11:24
Most ridiculous post I've read for some time

Consider the source... :E

... and for all those pilots with superiority complexes, just remember:-

RAF Regiment, The RAF's only All-weather fighters. :}

doubledolphins
16th Aug 2008, 15:30
G, you are clearly a top bloke and thank you for your kind words. You should be a pilot! :ok:

The Helpful Stacker
16th Aug 2008, 16:53
Aye, you can find the RAF Regiment fighting in all-weather outside the NAAFI, usually fighting poorly though.

Airborne Aircrew
16th Aug 2008, 18:13
Aye, you can find the RAF Regiment fighting in all-weather outside the NAAFI, usually fighting poorly though.

Uh Oh... the "frustrated aircrew" are here... :p

EOSM37
16th Aug 2008, 20:06
I managed to find my way onto TSW eventually which arguably is as 'teeth arms' as you get in the RAF without being aircrew or a wannabe infantryman.

A petrol pump attendant with a gun?http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gif

Airborne Aircrew
16th Aug 2008, 21:18
A petrol pump attendant with a gun?See... There's banter and there's banter... and that was just plain vicious. Utterly outstanding Sir.

[Doffs cap...]

The Helpful Stacker
17th Aug 2008, 17:52
Uh Oh... the "frustrated aircrew" are here...

Read a few posts back Aimless Aircrew and you'll note I hardly hide the fact that I always wanted to be aircrew. 'Frustrated aircrew' isn't how I'd describe myself though, perhaps 'other than aircrew'.

BTW, those that use them know TSW are more than 'petrol pump attendants with guns'. Unlike many other blue jobs playing soldiers TSW don't often have the luxury of operating out of nice big, well-protected MOB's.

Of course the thanks of those that count count more than the criticism of those that pile scorn from the safety of an internet connection.

jordanpolonijo
17th Aug 2008, 17:58
Clearly?

What type of statement is that?

Take your blinkers off red rum!

Airborne Aircrew
17th Aug 2008, 19:12
Helpful old chap:

The little :p at the end of my jibe is there to indicate just that - it was a jibe. It wasn't meant as a personal slight at you - in fact it was actually a slight aimed at the person that "coined the phrase" in this thread.

Having been on the Rock side and the SH side as a customer of TSW I have a great deal of respect for them. However, in their defense the ones I knew personally understood a :p when they saw one... :p