PDA

View Full Version : Zambia - Overview Please?

Agaricus bisporus
1st Aug 2008, 14:40
Not found much on the search function

Need info on all aspects of life as an expat and flying in Zambia - mining support.

Thanks.

rudder hard over
1st Aug 2008, 16:49
My first Com job was in Zambia in 2004, flying 9J-CGC a van. Good job, lots of flying. Was based in Lusaka flying to bush strips in Lower Zambezi, Livingstone, Ndola and Mfue etc. Flew for Airwaves Airlink.
I don't think they are still going but best to try get hold of Keith Downing. He was chief pilot for the company and has contacts with operators who always need pilots (C210, C208B etc). Lost contact with Keith but if you do some research, I'm sure you can track him down. Had to get a Zambian Com, but flew on a validation first. Had to pass Airlaw, flight test and a 9J C208B type rating. Hope this helps.

Rudder Hard Over

Agaricus bisporus
1st Aug 2008, 19:15
Thanks for that, but company/job stuff is not what I need. Living conditions, security, lifestyle, flying conditions, weather, infrastructure - all the realities of living and working there are what I would like to find out.

rudder hard over
3rd Aug 2008, 14:40
The flying scene is very seasonal. Most flying happens during the winter to the game parks and lower Zambezi etc. as in summer, it rains and rains. Living conditions are allright, good shopping centres in Lusake and Livingstone. Prices of food stuffs etc. can be pricy. The local beer is Mozi. Zambeef is the best meat on the planet (my opinion) and the steakes are huge. The local Zambians are very friendly and polite and they are helpfull. Generally its OK in Zambia. Watch out for Malaria though. Ndola is the main mining town in the copper belt. Infrastructure is basic. Dont drink water from the tap, rather buy bottled water.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Aug 2008, 15:23
Bottled Mosi has been known to have furry unidentifiable stuff floating in it. Either stick to the tinned stuff canned in Mauritius or learn the African salute where any bottle of consumable liquid is held up to a light source and inspected before imbibing. Never had much problem with Rhino and others from Northern Breweries and quite frankly found they make better beer than the bloody awful Mosi.

As in most African countries, corruption is endemic among anyone connected with government. Most folks are friendly and helpful apart from obstructionist (un)civil serpents. This was under Chiluba so not certain if things have changed, but wouldn't hold my breath.

The beef is good (though the Zim beef was better, unfortunately no longer obtainable) and if you're in rural areas you'll get fillet at a really good price as it's not much in demand, being considered tasteless and not chewy enough by the locals. Pretty much lived on the stuff in my time there.

The GM of the Lusaka Holiday Inn is a skydiver and knows aviation. He's a good bloke and can pass on up to date advice once you're there. Name of Adrian if you chance to drop by.

diegrootwitbeen
3rd Aug 2008, 16:13
i lived in Lusaka and Ndola for about 3 years, flew round 2000 hrs.

Unlike most African countries Zambians allmost all speak Engrish...BONUS

Better practice that NDB and GPS approach, all other nav-aids very tempramental especially when needed most....allways make sure you have a valid clearance, international and domestic, no matter where your aircraft is registered, or get arrested, and part with $$$$:}

ATC unreadable and terminology takes some getting used to, no problem, if you speak slowly and ask them to help the attitude changes quickly and everybody becomes very helpfull indeed.....avgas can be a problem between May and October (Safari season)

Pours when it rains, no single engine flying at night or I.F. even single turbines revoked when I was last there...

The furry unidentifiable stuff in mosi is there to help with malaria and stop you pooping your pant, better than castle.....quinine shot and Arinate or similar malaria meds around $20 a pop :ok:fix you in no time.

Like the other said, good meat, tad expensive, but very possible to live there for a long time, petty crime, one of the safest and stable countries in the world.:E

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Aug 2008, 17:41
In my experience the furry stuff has usually been found to be dismembered mice, cockroaches or cigarette butts. The only reason it's good for the Calcutta Splutter is that anything you've eaten quickly evacuates via the topside exit before it has a chance to fester in your guts.

copernicus
4th Aug 2008, 16:24
Pretty much one of the bast places to fly in africa. They've revamped the Lusaka ILS and Ndola VOR, not sure on the rest but all round pretty well controlled airspace.
Two major swamp areas to avoid if you flying piston/SE turbine.
Life style outside of Lusaka is pretty much what it would have been in a small town grwoing up in SA about 15 years ago; you can get everything you need however you will go to about 3 shops to find it. Lusaka is modernized so no hassels there.
It rains pracitcally non stop for Jan and Feb, about 1.4m - 1.5m of rain falls over the country per year. Trust me that's a lot of rain.
Power has been and probably will continue ot be a huge issue for a while, Make sure you cost in a heavy duty well maintained Generator for when the power goes out, it happens daily.
Fuel prices are shocking, they are close to $2 a litre so be prepared, it's even more than SA.
Aircons are a must, super hot up here...
A couple of tips on Malaria, they say if you alkalize your diet the parasite can't survive so your chances of falling prey to malaria drops, I haven't tried it yet but when you get Malaria you'll wish you had. It's remedied as above by either Arinate, Co-Arinate, Coartem, Halfan. If you suspect you have malaria then it's best to pop the meds, depending on the strain you could be a goner in a few days to a few weeks, always be on the safe side. Something no-one ever tells you, if you get malaria follow up the course of meds with an anitbiotic, **** stuff for sure but it kills the parasites/eggs in the liver that the malaria meds don't get. This will stop you form having serious and repetative attacks. NB!!!

People are great, cops can be difficult especially with expats. Ps, don't run anyone over, you go to jail even if it's not your fault so I hear...they drive like tomorrow is another day, around 40km/hr in the provincial cities.

If you are setting up an aircraft, it pays to go see the director of DCA, mr Kabalika and get all the gen you can. The Zambian License is 2 exams, 1 you have to pass with 75%, the other 100%. At least that's how it was a few years ago. They were also in the process on getting their house in order to be fully ICAO compliant to date, not sure on the progress.
Zam Beef is one of the best around, great porterhouse steaks as well.

Anyway, if the cash is good, the lifestyle here will be great. Enjoy the new surroundings. Happy landings.
P.S, SAA and airlink fly in twice a day to Lusaka and Ndola, if you got buddies flying there you'll be able to get the odd luxuary you won't find in Zambia.

BushCaptain
4th Aug 2008, 19:02
I hear Sefofane Air Charters are looking for a C208/C210 operator in Zambia to be based in Lusaka, minimum 100hrs on the C208!
Probably best to contact the chief pilot or manager.

Jumbo744
5th Aug 2008, 13:07
Hello there,

thanks all for sharing the information, it is very helpful. I plan to try to get a job over there when I finish my training.

As for malaria, after living 20 years in Africa, I think there is not much you can do to avoid it. I used to get malaria 1-2 times a year and I've tried all the precautions.

But it's not a big deal for those of us who have enough money (10-20$) to buy the medications, you will heal in 2-3 days, but you will lose some weight. It's a shame that too many local people don't have enough money and die from it.