PDA

View Full Version : What is Ryanair's busiest route?

smith
1st Aug 2008, 10:07
Any ideas on the busiest and/or most profitable route for FR?

I presume it would be London-Dublin for the busiest and probably most profitable.

I think London-Paris is one of the busiest routes in the world so has always surprised me there is no Stansted-Beauvais. Probably the distances involved from the city make even eurostar a quicker alternative.

You know what they say fly Ryanair and see the world ................. by train!!!

RYRnick
1st Aug 2008, 15:54
I remember the Stansted-Charloei (which I don't know why it stopped?) was always packed, pretty much a full house every time I did that flight! It used to be a 737-200 but then the flight was only 1 hour so it was okay. Good opportunity to finish a presentation I thought!

Today, it must be Stansted-Dublin, Stansted-Girona, Stansted-Ciampino, and maybe Stansted-Berlin? Probably to the capital cities.

Nick

JulietNovemberPapa
1st Aug 2008, 16:31
In terms of available seats, the busiest route by far is STN-DUB-STN, with a combined weekly total (based on 13th Aug-20th Aug) of 23,814 seats. That equates to a combined 126 weekly flights.

Michael SWS
1st Aug 2008, 17:34
I think London-Paris is one of the busiest routes in the world so has always surprised me there is no Stansted-Beauvais. Probably the distances involved from the city make even eurostar a quicker alternative.You can get from St. Pancras to Gare du Nord in just over 2 hours. If two travellers started from the centre of London at the same time, one would be in Paris while the other was still waiting to board the aircraft at Stansted.

And you can't begin to compare the comfort of a 2-hour train journey with the nightmare that flying short-haul has become.

Alex 009
2nd Aug 2008, 00:55
And you can't begin to compare the comfort of a 2-hour train journey with the nightmare that flying short-haul has become.

Well said. Look as a pilot I love aircraft and love flying, but if one had to get from the centre of London to the centre of Paris, I would take the train any day of the week. On a recent trip to Europe, me and my family took the train, and found it fantastic, and a whole lot more comfortable than the Easyjet flight we had from Edinburgh to Nice.

Slight thread drift I know...sorry

OFSO
2nd Aug 2008, 17:16
Whilst I agree the TGV is ALWAYS more comfortable than flying (and I take the TGV if I have a choice), 2 hrs London to Paris is not possible. The train time is 2hrs 20mns and you have to be at the London station 40 minutes before the train leaves, so the journey time is three hours.

I regularly travel on the TGV between Perpignan and Paris and leaving at 07:20 I'm eating lunch in Paris at 12:30 - and in France you don't have to be at the station until the actual departure time. First class (big leather reclining armchair) with a standard non-flexi ticket on the TGV costs 40 euros which is MUCH cheaper than Ryanair can offer.

RaF

ATNotts
3rd Aug 2008, 10:18
Sorry, total thread drift....

How on earth has the UK made international rail travel so difficult?? OK I know we insist on border controls, but in the old days on mainland Europe, these and customs checks used to be done by border and customs staff on board the train. Nowadays of course, with Schengen, it's all un-necessary.

What is the 40 minutes for? Eurotunnel only wants 30 minutes, although the antics of Kent Police' "Border Controls" make this exceedingly tight these days.

There must be some retail outlets that the station operator wants customers to use!

Michael SWS
3rd Aug 2008, 10:43
Whilst I agree the TGV is ALWAYS more comfortable than flying (and I take the TGV if I have a choice), 2 hrs London to Paris is not possible. The train time is 2hrs 20mns and you have to be at the London station 40 minutes before the train leaves, so the journey time is three hours.
Nowhere did I say that the journey time was two hours. (And, if you're going to be pedantic about it, the fastest jorney time is, in fact, 2h15; the minimum check-in time is 30 minutes for 2nd Class and as little as 10 minutes for Business Premier passengers).

But the point remains the same. Eurostar is now so fast and so competitively-priced that I can't see the London-Paris route being particularly attractive to any low-cost airline. There will always be some demand, from those who live near Stansted or Luton, but that must be limited.