PDA

View Full Version : Problems with UK military ATC radio comms

chris_tivver
1st Aug 2008, 08:35
A few months ago there was a thread with a few mentions of problems with military ATC radios somewhere in the UK
I have tried hard to find the thread via searches etc but obviously I'm incompetent at it because I can't find it.

What I was trying to discover was whether the problems were UHF or VHF related

BEagle
1st Aug 2008, 09:04
I think the main problem was with 'MASCOT MINCOM' equipped locations? Certainly military VHF at many such aerodromes sounds weak and muffled when compared with civil systems - I usually have to turn the volume down when changing fromn a military to a civil service.

I was once told that the 'MASCOT' was designed for a particular microphone system - but the RAF changed their microphones after the system spec had been frozen.....:hmm:

Molesworth Hold
1st Aug 2008, 09:13
I think you may be referring to this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/atc-issues/274629-benson-lyneham-atc.html

It's the widespread belief that the MASCOT system was designed for the Civil Police but rejected as unsuitable.

airborne_artist
1st Aug 2008, 10:16
A mate gave me a ride to WSM in his fling-wing last Sunday, and the air trafficker at Lyneham was quite hard to understand. It was quite busy even for a sunny summer Sunday, but the audio quality of his transmissions was mediocre at best.

chris_tivver
1st Aug 2008, 10:42
Thanks Molesworth, thats the chappy