PDA

View Full Version : Engine failure on a Jetstream?

1279shp
1st Aug 2008, 06:46
Surely not!;)

(This from late last night)

An Eagle Air flight with 14 passengers onboard safely landed at Auckland Airport tonight with the use of only one engine.

Pilots aboard Flight NZ-2088 shut down the engine after being alerted by an engine warning indicator in the cockpit.

The J-32 Jetstream aircraft was operated by Air National for Eagle Air and will be inspected by engineers overnight.

And another perspective - this one with a fire!

A Jetstream aircraft was forced to land at Auckland Airport after its pilot made a Mayday call reporting an engine fire last night.

The charter company Air National flight had 14 passengers on board and was over Kaitaia when a full emergency was declared at 6.26pm.

The aircraft turned back and landed safely in Auckland, apparently using only one engine in 30-knot wind at 7.20pm.

Firefighters found no sign of fire.

mattyj
1st Aug 2008, 07:39
Ah well, with only one engine running they've at last hit on a way to operate the sodastream with sufficent reserve fuel;)

The Hill
1st Aug 2008, 08:02
i beileve the same thing happened on a J-32 about 10 months ago near oamaru/timaru?

Capitaine72
1st Aug 2008, 22:05
Kaitaia to AKL is a long way to fly having had an engine fire warning over Kaitaia. There is a lot of faith in having a faulty fire-wire loop. :ooh:

Jet Man
1st Aug 2008, 23:29
I have a lot of respect for the pilots who landed that aircraft in those winds. I landed two after them in a B737 and that was difficult!

always inverted
3rd Aug 2008, 23:02
To true, the wind that day would have made KKE a tad dangerous I think and no RFS and only St Johns up there to deal with any problem, WRE would have been even worse and we know what WRE does not have at each end, therefore AKL was really the only safe option without undue risk of a bigger accident. Yes it is a shame that KAT is soo far away, were they on the way up there or on the way back when it happened ?

Good work to the crew:D

biggles61
18th Sep 2008, 01:33
Just like operating a caravan seifr

bushy
18th Sep 2008, 05:31
Turbine engines DO fail. Caravan engines DO fail. Jet engines DO fail.

There are those amongst us who pretend they do not.

SNS3Guppy
18th Sep 2008, 06:25
I had an engine on a single, taken from a jetstream, that came unglued on me two years ago. You bet they fail.

An interesting fact I got out of that whole evolution, which came from Garrett (Honeywell)...the TPE-331 can run a half hour without oil. No torque available because there's no oil to actuate the prop...but the gas generator will keep functioning. I found that out when I pushed up the power lever and got a normal engine response, but no torque out of the prop, and of course, no thrust.

flyboy2
18th Sep 2008, 07:25
Congratulations on a emergency well dealt with!
Not nice but obviously there had been some good training beforehand!

The JS31/2 handles quite well on 1, provided the procedures are followed.
Happy Landings.
:D

Flyingblind
18th Sep 2008, 07:30
Same Same, good job guys!

Capt Wally
18th Sep 2008, 07:51
here here 'bushy', you tell 'em mate:ok: that's why they have TWO engines for SAFETY:E Had it been a SE turbine then this thread might very well be different:)
I'm not a big fan of the Garret's, two complexe & dangerous:)
It is hard yakka ldg with one donk coming along just for thr ride but they did have two crew, I wonder if one crew just sits there in such events to make it even?:E

CW

the wizard of auz
18th Sep 2008, 09:31
That's why they don't put Garrets in the Caravan........ for safety reasons.
One PT6 is much safer than two Garrets. :E

enginair
18th Sep 2008, 17:20
I believe there is a 331-8 converson for the van because the PT6-114 was under powered for the float planes . We lost a 331 because the oil cooler split and we lost the oil . The prop went course lowering the speed . Fuel control adds more fuel