PDA

View Full Version : WASINC and Grand China Express Questions

Alchemy
1st Aug 2008, 02:38
Hello,

I am a EMB-145 captain in the U.S. I have about 4000 total time and 1100 command hours in this type. My company is having a difficult time financially and I fear they may not be around much longer, so I'm looking for better opportunities. No one is hiring in the US, and Emirates or Cathay don't seem to be interested in me.

Recently some recruiters from WASINC came to our hub to talk about opportunies with an airline called "grand china express" based out of Beijing and Tianjin. Supposedly they have a few dozen Dornier 328's, some E145's, and some E190's. The pay is almost double what I could make in the states.

My main questions are:

How challenging would the language barrier be for a pilot such as myself attempting to operate domestic chinese flights? Would ATC and the cabin crew speak english, or would I be relying heavily on a mandarin speaking crewmember to interpret everything? I would make a concerted effort to learn the language but any semblence of fluency would take years, I'm sure.

Are the safety and operating standards of airlines like his on par with their western counterparts? I don't nitpick airplanes, but I would hate to sign a two year contract only to find myself in a situation where I fear for my life when I go to work.

Thirdly, I am single, open to new cultural experiences, and have nothing holding me down in the states. With that said, I have never been to Asia, just europe and latin america. I have heard some good things about china, but also some very worrisome things (can't drink the water, horrible pollution, everything is dirty, etc etc). What are the odds that I could adapt succesfully?

Also, would I be placed on the senioriy list (do they even have these?) of the airline WASINC placed me with, or would I be considered some kind of outside contractor? Also, the WASINC recruiters seemed to dangle the possibilites of promotions to E190 or widebody aircraft at other airlines. How realistic is this, or were they blowing smoke (no offense, they seemed like nice people).

Many thanks.

captainl
2nd Aug 2008, 18:48
Im in the same situation except a possible furlough. Do you have that stupid circling approach in VMC restriction. I do. I here it might be a problem with some chinese airlines.

Alchemy
3rd Aug 2008, 00:30
Yeah, I have that restriction. I wonder if I could get my Examiner to remove it on my next Recurrent proficiency check?

Mr. Green
3rd Aug 2008, 01:11
Years back training in Long Beach, one particular big Chinese airline uses a translator between the instructor and the pilots in the sim sessions. Their checklist was entirely in Chinese.

Chinese ATC normally speaks "putonghau" to the Chinese carriers but will speak English if required or for foreign carriers. Keep in the mind the R/T is very relaxed in the great US of A so standard R/T would help out in the long run and avoid any confusion.

Nothing better when you hear stuff like "Ahh...control, #### twelve, Checking in...." and the controller's response is...."uh...say again!"

The Chinese ATC is generally quite good but still requires position reports even under radar control. They arent as flexible as getting directs is a hit and miss and will normally tell you to stay on flight plan route.

Have fun! Haikou and Sanya are China's Hawaii so lots of things to see and do in this part of the world!!

GoForIt
3rd Aug 2008, 05:29
Recently some recruiters from WASINC came to our hub to talk about opportunies with an airline called "grand china express" based out of Beijing and Tianjin. Supposedly they have a few dozen Dornier 328's, some E145's, and some E190's. The pay is almost double what I could make in the states.

Grand China Express is the name of the parent company that owns several airlines operating under different names. They say they are going to consolidate them into one, but they've been saying that for several years. This is one of the largest privately owned airlines in China, and has a good reputation. They now have some limited international routes, including PEK - SEA.

How challenging would the language barrier be for a pilot such as myself attempting to operate domestic chinese flights? Would ATC and the cabin crew speak english, or would I be relying heavily on a mandarin speaking crewmember to interpret everything? I would make a concerted effort to learn the language but any semblence of fluency would take years, I'm sure.

I was over there recently, and I can tell you the manuals I saw were in English. They do use interpreters in the Simulator. It appears to me that the younger pilots have better English skills. All the F/A's speak at least some English, and some are very fluent. Since China has really opened up to the rest of the world in recent years, younger people are generally highly motivated to learn English.

Are the safety and operating standards of airlines like his on par with their western counterparts? I don't nitpick airplanes, but I would hate to sign a two year contract only to find myself in a situation where I fear for my life when I go to work.

It appears to me that the safety standard are on par with USA or at least close. But I don't work for them.

Thirdly, I am single, open to new cultural experiences, and have nothing holding me down in the states. With that said, I have never been to Asia, just europe and latin america. I have heard some good things about china, but also some very worrisome things (can't drink the water, horrible pollution, everything is dirty, etc etc). What are the odds that I could adapt succesfully?

The air pollution is indeed terrible. Some days are better than others, but it gets down to visibilities of less than a mile in smog. Depressing. Don't even think about drinking the water, but in most of the world everyone is dependent on bottled water, so that is no big deal. You'll get used to it. The cities are clean and modern. The subways in Beijing are immaculate. They put NYC and Chicago public transit to shame. The country towns are a different matter. As you travel around China you will see quite a broad range of conditions. If you want a lifestyle anywhere near what you are used to in the USA, forget it. But if you are up for a few years of adventure and cross cultural experience, go for it.

Also, would I be placed on the senioriy list (do they even have these?) of the airline WASINC placed me with, or would I be considered some kind of outside contractor? Also, the WASINC recruiters seemed to dangle the possibilites of promotions to E190 or widebody aircraft at other airlines. How realistic is this, or were they blowing smoke (no offense, they seemed like nice people).

You'll be an outside contractor. Seniority? You'll get what is left of the schedules after the Chinese pilots take what they want. You can expect that at any overseas contract job. You'll get the days off your contract guarantees, but beyond that don't expect any special treatment. Contract jobs almost never include opportunities to train on another aircraft. In the contract world it is all about what you are current and qualified in NOW. WASINC was blowing smoke on that one.

Go to the interview. Ask lots of questions. Never hurts to take a look.

GoForIt

Alchemy
3rd Aug 2008, 06:47
Thanks so much for the helpful replies. I am going to wait and see how the displacement bid plays out at my current airline. If I am downgraded back to first officer, which is a real possibility (I will know next week), I will probably pursue the opportunity. Otherwise I don't think I can justify moving to china on the pay alone, I'd want to be getting some type of additonal type rating or aircraft experience that would further my career, not more of the same RJ flying. In any event it's nice to have the option.