PDA

View Full Version : A-BIT AV8 will not boot problem

Bern Oulli
31st Jul 2008, 17:24
Writing this on my laptop. My desktop computer was fine this morning. Now when switched on all I get is five beeps - one long and four short, and it shuts down. No POST screen even. Motherboard led shows 9.C on shutting down.

Motherboard is an A-BIT AV8, AMD 64 chip and 1G of RAM. Tried surfing for a list of error codes but couldn't find anything other than forums discussing particular errors (not mine). I suspect something is seriously shagged but what? Does anyone know what those codes mean?

Serious thunderstorm after I went out so I wonder if I got zapped.

edited to correct finger trouble with lappy keyboard.

Bern Oulli
31st Jul 2008, 18:32
Update. Problem seems to be solved. After some more surfing around ABIT forums, none of which answered my question, it seemed that swapping out the RAM sometimes did the trick. So I tried that and behold, the 'puter fired up. OK there was a "The system has recovered from a Serious Error" report, and those RAM chips are absolute bastards to clip back in, but everything seems to be hunky dory. Still don't know what the beeps and codes mean though.

Saab Dastard
31st Jul 2008, 22:49
Glad you are back up and running, and thanks for sharing the solution.

SD

Guest 112233
1st Aug 2008, 12:11
Please take a look at this site re the bleep codes - ABIT BIOS beep codes - Universal abit USA Forums (http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=98625)

The M/C may be working OK for now but when it gets hot - problems may re-occur - It may be the CPU Cooler FAN at fault and the CPU may overheat and Fail

If Saab dastard reads this, please respond - Thanks

I suggest that you back up your Data ASAP , if you have not already done so. Get someone with some hardware experence to look at the cooling fan connector leads - That Thunderstorm may have affected the M/C powersupply even if It was left connected to the mains and not switched on. ( Re locating the RAM may only have reduced the thermal load on the CPU for a short time).

better Safe than Sorry.

CATIII

Bern Oulli
1st Aug 2008, 20:41
Thanks for that. I did find that web-site but no clues there about 1 long and 4 short beeps, or indeed what 9.C means. However all still seems well. Back-up was the first thing I did once the 'puter was working again! All connections seem sound and all the fans are spinning OK as indeed they were when everything went t!ts up. So, net result - clueless, backed-up and working. 2 out of three ain't bad. Back to prooning.