PDA

View Full Version : Connecting computers

Ace McCool
3rd Nov 2000, 15:18
Any one know if I can connect my laptop to my desktop simply by using the USB ports or will I have to connect them using network cards?

WX Man
3rd Nov 2000, 16:00
I've heard of people using laplink. Try a web search for it.

bodger
3rd Nov 2000, 16:40
I don't think you can do it just with USB ports and no other kit.Use laplink and your serial ports.This is OK for file transfer.

Bluenose
3rd Nov 2000, 21:40
Hi,

I'm a wannabe who works in IT retail and we sell stuff like this. Belkin make a USB network kit that costs approx. £70. It links 2 machines thru the USB and lets your share files and printers (and play network games :-) ). Try jungle.com. From what I've heard it is excellent!

All the best,

Bluenose.

Tallbloke
3rd Nov 2000, 22:07
If you use laplink, then it is better to use your printer port rather than a serial port as it goes quicker. If you have the time and the money and the inlination, why not try to build a little network with some cheap ethernet bits?

bodger
4th Nov 2000, 04:32
Can you get cheap network bits for laptops??

ExSimGuy
4th Nov 2000, 09:42
I use a Xircom modem/Ethenet card. I settlerd for the cheaper 10MBit option and paid around 100 UKL for it. Very useful and the modem has reasonable performance too (although the Xircom Europe site never replied to a question I sent about driver updates)

I like the 3 little sockets on it for connections, as my previous modem-only card died due to the silly plug that hangs out the side of it.

For a 2-machine network, you can buy a cheapo Ethernet card for the "big machine" and a crossover Ethernet cable between that and the laptop to avoid the cost of a hub. (If you can find the cross-over cable where you are - here in the MidEast nobody seems to stock them and I'll have to wait for my nect trip to Blighty - anyone know of a good computer shop near the GatBash with a shop assistant who can speak Gibberish :)

bodger
4th Nov 2000, 15:28
Net work bits or laptops are expensive then .The N/W card for for my desktop pc's were only £10 each and a hub cost me £15.Made the cables myself for aout £2.

Ace McCool
4th Nov 2000, 17:54
Thanks for the ideas folks.

Benny
4th Nov 2000, 18:35
Have you tried Direct Cable Connection ?
You may have to install it from you Windows CD.
It uses either a parallel to parallel cable or serial to serial cable, about £10 from a computer store.

(To find it on Windows ME go to Start/Programs/Accesories/Communication)

bobster
5th Nov 2000, 12:08
Use a laplink cable from your parallel ports and set up comms. from your windows98SE disk. It works ok. I have just done it about 2 days ago. Do not forget to set up for cable connection in the network area and one problem is naming your laptop which I found to be LAPTOP in capitals. Enable files to transfer/view and you should be right in the middle of it. Bobster.

edgewing
7th Nov 2000, 06:10
Hi Ace,

What are you trying to do? Depending on your requirements there are probably several different solutions.

Ciao for now

Ace McCool
12th Nov 2000, 15:40
Yeah, just transfer files to/from the laptop. Looking to do it as cheaply as possible. Got some good ideas here, thanks to all.