PDA

View Full Version : Download drama.

Mango3
21st Oct 2001, 07:54
I decided recently to try out ICQ. Bad move! The program refuses to install. I keep getting a message telling me an 'illegal operation has been preformed...' The ICQ help page is of no assistance either. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the details of the message advise that "kernell 32" is invalid (whatever that means). I'm running 98 with Explorer 6. Any ideas out there? Norton's tell me I'm virus free. :confused:

What_does_this_button_do?
21st Oct 2001, 11:49
If you or your machine do not like ICQ then why don't you try MSN?

B

Mango3
21st Oct 2001, 12:48
Tried that. Same problem. I've adjusted all the appropriate settings but still miss out. MSN keeps advising to adjust security settings. This I did right down to the bare minimums: No joy. :confused:

Herc Jerk
21st Oct 2001, 20:20
Mango,

you may be able to install an old version of MSN by going to start-settings-control panel-add/remove programs-windows setup-communications and then installing MSN messenger from there. This will still work with Netmeeting if you use that, or it will still alow chat/typing in real time.

BUT!!! If you are having a similar problem to me, you will NOT be able to install the updated version 3.6. Your computer will hang on the install as it has done with trying to install this new Flash 5.0. - at least this is what is happening to me right now.

I'm just guessing as i also have the Norton System Works and have "deleted" some "recommended" things and really bl**dy wish i hadn't. I have vowed to never run Norton Win Doctor AGAIN.

Too little too late now though.

RW-1
23rd Oct 2001, 21:04
Try a simple operation, turn off Norton.

Install ICQ.

cossack
24th Oct 2001, 14:02
I too have W98 with IE6 and Norton System Works 2001 and had absololutely no problems installing and running ICQ.
I'm not technically minded so I'm afraid I can't help with any possible solutions, but the above set up and ICQ work just fine together on my PC, so there might be something else amiss in your system.

Sledge
24th Oct 2001, 18:12
you could try having your PC checked out at this site:http://www.pcpitstop.com/ Ihave been using it for some time now and found it does solve a lot of problems.To check your software try www.cnet.com (http://www.cnet.com) and the "catch up" section.A small download and CNET checks to see if you have the most up to date software on your machine.If it finds old stuff it give downloads to upgrade.Really usefull site !!

Mango3
25th Oct 2001, 16:15
Thanks for the replies. Still no joy though. I hunted through previous posts and discovered 'Diablo' asking a similar question in September, with the mystical Kernel 32.DLL being the prime suspect! Thanks also Sledge re CNET. I downloaded the program without any problems. One query though: Upon installing any program, a message pops up advising that all other programs should be closed down. My guess has always been to shut down/disable those items running in the Toolbar. Am I correct? :confused:

Sledge
25th Oct 2001, 20:53
Yes, and you can see which programs are running in the background by pressing CTRL, ALT, and DEL on your keyboard at the same time to reveal the "close program box".I usually shut down all progs apart from explorer and cnet.Hope that helps,also did Pc Pit stop not reveal any shortfalls with your system?