PDA

View Full Version : Formatting problems

four_two
31st Jul 2008, 08:53
I hope this will attract the notice of someone more knowledgeable than myself in posting techniques. In recent posts the formatting seems to go to pot when I submit a post. Because I seem to get timed out when composing my masterpieces I have developed the habit of writing the post in Wordpad or Open Office and entering it that way.For example take a look at some of my posts in "Who is your Internet Provider?" Can anyone please throw some light on why this is? Instructions posted elsewhere on this board or explanations welcomed. Thanks. PS. I've just previewed this post and although I wrote this in the reply box it's happened again.

Saab Dastard
31st Jul 2008, 12:02
Use Notepad - no formatting baggage at all!

What character is being replaced by "?

To quote in a message requires the HTML strings [ QUOTE ]Text[ /QUOTE ] - this can be achieved by highlighting the text and using the "quote" icon above the message pane.

Note that I have had to insert spaces beside the square brackets to actually show the HTML!

SD

four_two
31st Jul 2008, 21:28
Thanks for the response, SD. I'm using Ubuntu at the moment so I can't try Notepad but I will next time.

I think " replaces my attempt to start a new paragraph.

My query you answered was actually directly typed into the reply box and I used all the relevant sentences and paragraphs but when I previewed the message it stripped out all that!

I've just previewed my post and it seems ok now. Can It be something to do with Javascript? I usually browse with No Script enabled after a bad experience a couple of years ago with malware. I wonder if that is affecting my posts.

Saab Dastard
31st Jul 2008, 22:47
OK, Ubuntu! :ok: Good man.

Any plain text editor is what I meant (but assumed windows when you mentioned WordPad, mea culpa). Shoot, even VI would do!

I don't believe that JS is required for PPRuNe to render correctly - but it's not really my area of expertise. Perhaps someone will confirm who knows VBulletin?

SD