PDA

View Full Version : Wave

The late XV105
31st Jul 2008, 11:12
Open the Master Volume panel by double clicking the volume icon in the System Tray
Observe that this panel contains a Wave option
Observe that when varied, Wave influences sound volume exactly as if it were a volume control in its own rightThis is handy because I can use it when necessary to set the volume to a very low level (lower than 1 bar alone on the volume slider allows) but I wondered if my guess is correct as to what it is; I assume that sound being a longitudinal wave, the wave slider is controlling the amplitude of the wave whereas the volume slider controls the amount of amplification (gain) given to the resultant output signal. Correct, or wide of the mark?

rich_g85
31st Jul 2008, 11:47
I think the Wave volume just relates to any sounds generated by Windows (eg log on/off, 'ding' etc), ie not the audio CD Player, Line Input feeds etc

The slider is there so you can control those sounds independently of the 'Master Volume' which overrides all the individual sliders. ie, you can mute all Windows sounds, but still hear the audio CD in your CD-ROM drive (assuming it's connected directly to the soundcard!).

Does that help?

Parapunter
31st Jul 2008, 12:27
Yup, you wanna see the vista mixer; wave, sound, media centre, ctsysvol.exe, media player. There's bundles of the freakin things!

The late XV105
31st Jul 2008, 12:30
Thanks, RG85, but not so.

It appears that Wave operates as a baseline volume and then Volume operates on whatever it is fed by Wave. So, set Wave to, say, 5% and even on max volume the output is little more than a whisper. Set Wave to 100% and even on 50% volume the output is deafening. This is what makes me think that Wave is modulating the peaks and troughs, so to speak, and volume the amount of gain that is then applied by the amplifier.

This applies to any source (incl CD/DVD) that I play back though any media device such as WMP11, Nero Video Player, or whatever.

Saab Dastard
31st Jul 2008, 13:15
XV, Just read the Help associated with Windows Volume Control, you will see that rich_g85 is quite right.

Notes:

If your computer has more than one device (for example, a MIDI or Wave device), you can set the volume for each device.

This is how all my systems work - I can set the CD level differently to the Wave level differently to the Line level etc. and control the whole lot with the Volume Slider.

It is quite possible (probable) that you have a mis-configured sound system.

SD

The late XV105
31st Jul 2008, 14:22
Thanks for adding to the thread.
This is interesting.

Home PC running XP SP2 MCE 2005 and with a Sound Blaster Audigy SE 24 bit sound card
Work Lenovo T61 laptop running XP Pro SP2 with onbord SoundMaxAlthough Soundblaster changes the look and feel of the Master Volume panel and adds some tabs with things like surround sound, on both machines this panel contains Master volume and sources for Wave, MIDI, CD, line in, and Microphone. To this, Soundbaster adds What U Hear and S/PDIF-In but these are irrelevant here.

On both machines, sliding Wave or CD (or both) influences output volume of music played from CD, and this level is then used as the baseline for master volume. In other words, when playing a CD the maximum volume obtainable with the volume slider is influenced by both the CD and Wave sliders. Set either or both of CD and Wave "low", and output with the volume slider on "max" will be quiet. Slide the volume level down, and the output goes from quiet to whisper quiet. Set either or both of CD and Wave to a high level and output with the volume slider on max is very loud. Slide the volume level down and the final step from minimum level to silence is now large. I don't believe both sound cards are incorrectly configured, so I guess it all comes down to whatever a Wave device is (or MIDI for that matter). I have no idea. Time to Google.

Cheers,
XV105

Parapunter
31st Jul 2008, 15:39
WAV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV)

Waveform audio format is what it stands for. Just as MIDI is a format and so is c.d. audio - actually red book audio is the format for cd's. On this occasion xv, it appears you are seeking something that int there.:ok:

The late XV105
31st Jul 2008, 16:48
Thanks, P.

As Wave, MIDI, and CD Audio are all different formats I remain puzzled why both my machines behave as described. Oh well. There are more important things to worry about I guess!

Saab Dastard
31st Jul 2008, 17:22
Here's a thought - if you have the CD player playing through the CPU (via Windows Meeja player or some such, then it will be a Wave device. If you have the CD playing directly to the sound card (sane), then it is a CD device.

In the former case the Wave slider will control the CD volume (in reality the WM player).

I find that the CD player utility from Windows 2000 functions nicely in XP - if you have access to it!

SD

The late XV105
31st Jul 2008, 19:00
I think you have it, SD.
Ignoring editing tools my exhaustive list of CD playback devices:

Media Center
Nero showtime
Winamp
Windows Media Player 11It is rare that I play CDs (I usually RIP them to my library on HDD and play from there) so I won't bother installing the old W2000 player, but all of the above players will utilize the CPU to process data. If this means the sound is always treated as Wave, it seems I have my answer.

Cheers,
XV105