PDA

View Full Version : Prince William to join.. Special Forces.

Al R
31st Jul 2008, 10:14
I always thought selection at his level was usually via Celestial Intervention and the Divine Right of Kings, and not by going for a quick tab with 85lbs on your back?

BBC NEWS | UK | William to join UK special forces (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7534769.stm).

ZH875
31st Jul 2008, 10:34
Afterwards, he will learn about helicopter tactics and capabilities with the Army Air Corps, where he is expected to extend his experience as a pilot at the helm of various aircraft

So more parties to attend then, lets hope he pays for the fuel this time, seeing as prices have risen dramatically since he was given his wings.

Al R
31st Jul 2008, 10:44
Is it the AAC that does the proper Special Forces flying then?

Surely, he would have been better going to the SF Flight at Odiham if he already has Chinook experience. Or maybe we shouldn't get back into nocturnal imperceptible insertion gags again.

Zoom
31st Jul 2008, 10:49
In that photo, is the good Prince wearing one of those old CW flying jackets, and in grey? Please tell me that the RAF is not still using them (and in that colour). They were cr*p when they were introduced in the mid-60s, as even the smallest breeze went right through them, and I can't imagine that they are any less cr*p now. :confused:

noregrets
31st Jul 2008, 11:20
Have those flying gloves even been inside a cockpit?

Minty to the point of virginal, methinks :ok:

parabellum
31st Jul 2008, 11:20
Al R - Think it may be a case of seeing how the AAC work, plus a little flying and then moving on to see some SF stuff, but they aren't going to tell you, or me, or anyone that doesn't need to know! (All VVIPs go through a famil at Hereford anyway, how to deal with kidnap, hijack etc.).

228 OCU
31st Jul 2008, 12:55
"In that photo, is the good Prince wearing one of those old CW flying jackets, and in grey? Please tell me that the RAF is not still using them (and in that colour). They were cr*p when they were introduced in the mid-60s, as even the smallest breeze went right through them, and I can't imagine that they are any less cr*p now."

Yup..
SUIT AIRCREW
COLD WEATHER MK3 JACKET.

Not in grey though..I think your monitor may need calibrating.

If in doubt BANG OUT.

Union Jack
31st Jul 2008, 13:04
From the BBC link "He was awarded "wings" by his father, the Prince of Wales"

Well that finally clears that one up ......

Jack

Shack37
31st Jul 2008, 15:32
"Al R - Think it may be a case of seeing how the AAC work, plus a little flying and then moving on to see some SF stuff, but they aren't going to tell you, or me, or anyone that doesn't need to know! (All VVIPs go through a famil at Hereford anyway, how to deal with kidnap, hijack etc.)."

Thank you Parabellum, a plain English post amongst some that put more importance on Willy's dress code than his effort to give it a go. Jacket from the sixties, wow. Does anyone really care how new the flying gloves are? I suspect he wears what he's given like most of our lads and lasses out there.

s37

ianp
31st Jul 2008, 17:18
For goodness sake give the guy a break, he is on a jolly to look at stuff in all three services. It's the armies turn and he is off to mess around in black, not really a big deal?
As King (desig) his chance of a normal military career (still not sure what one of those is) is nigh on impossible so to me this monster famil seems like a really good idea.

:ok:

Al R
31st Jul 2008, 17:57
.. no one is having a go at him. :cool:

Pontius Navigator
31st Jul 2008, 18:36
They were cr*p when they were introduced in the mid-60s, as even the smallest breeze went right through them, and I can't imagine that they are any less cr*p now. :confused:

We trialled the original jackets in white, sexy with navy blue lining but they got too shabby too quickly. Went for a stroll down to Happy Valley with the plotter. 'but 3-4 miles IIRC and very warm. The temp was -20C.

Used most of a can of waterproofing on the jacket. Fixed it. Don't know what it did for flamability though.

NutLoose
31st Jul 2008, 19:03
Is this possibly all for the purpose of filling his wardrobe with different dress uniforms for his future commitments?

FRAG7
31st Jul 2008, 19:10
AI R Is it the AAC that does the proper Special Forces flying then?

Yes

Emerson Cahooners
31st Jul 2008, 20:47
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahhahahahahaha.

Oh please stop it FRAG7 no more please.

Rafair7643
31st Jul 2008, 23:54
Okay I have no Mil time other than RAF(VR)

However, (and perhaps I may be too strict) if HRH wants to see how the guys at Hereford work, then let him do selection. Otherwise jog off.

After all his Uncle didn't make it with those Bootnecks..................but at least he bloody tried.

Stew

ZH875
1st Aug 2008, 07:20
After all his Uncle didn't make it with those Bootnecks..................but at least he bloody tried.

Stew

Tried my :mad:, he attended.

Union Jack
1st Aug 2008, 11:17
Tried my :mad:

Repeat after me, I must try to be less ambiguous......:hmm:

Jack

parabellum
1st Aug 2008, 11:59
Union Jack - your profile suggests you may be lot closer to the truth than others but, at the time, I heard that Edward coped well with all the roughy toughy and fitness/endurance stuff in training but simply could not get his head around being a leader of men intent on aggressive attack and killing when required.
Is that all BS too?
In the Army he would have succeeded in a Corps perhaps but not the Parachute Regt or their like etc.

The Helpful Stacker
1st Aug 2008, 12:36
AI R Is it the AAC that does the proper Special Forces flying then?

Yes

How else do you think those hairy ar$ed uber dealers of death get their pizzas delivered?

Of course for anything more taxing than the delivery of fast food the special people in the special hanger they nicked from the winged ponies are the perfect people.

;)

Al R
1st Aug 2008, 14:52
Al R said: "Is it the AAC that does the proper Special Forces flying then?"

Frag7 said "Yes"

:ok: Ah, cheers. But hang on.. a thought has just struck me on this lazy and cunny Friday afternoon.

If the AAC has NCO's flying agile, fast, demanding modern SF attack helicopters, why does the RAF need officers to fly slow cargo helicopters? :confused:

Al R
1st Aug 2008, 15:10
lol I stand corrected.

It just struck me as strange thats all.. why RAF pilots who leave don't quietly rejoin as Air Troopers for retraining into something, well.. more worthwhile? Loadies at least must fancy the chance of crossing over and doing some real flying even if it means keeping the same rank - I mean, if you insist on being a plakky NCO you may as well be one where it counts.. up front and behind the wheel?

Just a thought mind, and I hope no loadies were harmed in the making of this post.

Double Zero
1st Aug 2008, 15:20
I'm sure he will be given a limited overview, and indeed I hope anti-hijack / attack training - as if he isn't surrounded by highly trained guys all the time - but doubt he will be regarded as nothing but a pain in the bum they could well do without by S.F.

Al R
1st Aug 2008, 15:21
Oooh, I so want to sneak a peak at AIDU's post. Its bound to be really witty and about the Regiment. :ok:

I must be strong, I must be strong, I must be strong,
I must be strong, I must be strong, I must be strong.

parabellum
2nd Aug 2008, 03:28
"but doubt he will be regarded as nothing but a pain in the bum they could well do without by S.F."

I doubt there will be too much there to see - some training staff and an IS team?;)

teeteringhead
2nd Aug 2008, 11:42
why does the RAF need officers to fly slow cargo helicopters?..... that'd be the big slow cargo (including walking and (often) bleeding cargo) helicopters that have to slow down so the fast, demanding modern SF attack helicopters can keep up .....

..... thought so ;)*

*banter indicator