PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Freezing Up When Online

Hungry Pilot
18th Jul 2000, 01:05
Hello all, me again!

I bought my laptop while I was living in the States and have since moved to the UK, therefore my warranty is no longer valid. When, and only when, I’m on the internet my laptop sometimes freezes up. I can’t move the mouse cursor and can’t access any button, even the ‘Start’ hot key to shut down. I end up having to crudely hit the off switch, start up again, and reconnect to the internet. This ONLY happens when I’m on the net (usually on PPRuNe!) and is bugging the hell out of me. This happens an average of once every time I’m online: sometimes twice, and sometimes never.

Does anyone have any ideas or similar problems? On another thread it was suggested to me that I should reinstall Windows 98 since I can’t seem to connect any faster (or even slower) than 28.8k no matter what ISP I use.

Cheers all!

------------------
"...and someone foam down that runway, we've got a jumbo coming in on her belly!"

Tallbloke
18th Jul 2000, 02:10
Do you have a PC card modem? I used to have similar problems, the machine would hang, the only thing that still worked was the power switch. What I found was that ejecting the card unlocked the system. From there, uninstall the card, reinstall, find the latest drivers, do a bit of research on the manufacturers web site etc.

Hungry Pilot
19th Jul 2000, 01:25
Yup, I do have a PCMCIA modem card, and I'll try that out.

Cheers!

------------------
"...and someone foam down that runway, we've got a jumbo coming in on her belly!"