PDA

View Full Version : Onetel ISP (OZ)

woftam
17th Jul 2000, 18:48
Anyone have any comments,good or bad,about Onetel?
I am thinking of changing over to them.
Cheers
woftam
:) :)

chips_with_everything
18th Jul 2000, 01:39
I tried their unlimited internet service for a while and dumped it.

While they tell you it's unlimited on the phone when getting you to sign up in fact it isn't.

They limit the number of megabytes, they throw you off after 20 mins of inactivity and they throw you off after 4 hours of connect, even if you are in the middle of a download.

Their billing practices are shonky also.

I'm still using them for phone, but I'm cross with them for not reversing charges for call waiting I didn't order, for 5 days of interrupted service due to a Telstra defect and for switching my billing to email without my permission. They ignore email.

Ethically challenged as far as I'm concerned.

OzmateBugsmasher
20th Jul 2000, 16:25
as much as I hate to endorse any one company, Im currently using the 'large puddle' and their big150 plan, Gives 150 hrs per month, Unlimited download and all the other normal stuff like 5 email address etc etc. Also one of the fastest connections around, great file xfer speeds, and I have never had a busy signal. all for around $35pm +gst

Ping times are also pretty decent which of course is the most important thing to consider when fragging your mates in Counterstrike :)

alice
21st Jul 2000, 03:17
Best ISP I've ever found is dingoblue. There are no download limits, no megabyte limits, 5 email addresses etc, etc....all the usual stuff. And all for 27 a month. I stay connected for days at a time usually. And the best bit is, if I refer someone to join, they get $40 off their bill and so do I. Quite an incentive. Their service is also usually fast and efficient..........and no, I don't work for them.

Pushback
23rd Jul 2000, 16:32
I agree with Chips & Ozmate.

Used to have 3 mobiles & internet with abovementioned company, and they are cheap and nasty.

Never looked back since joining the Bigpond Big 150. Always get on at 49333bps or better and tech support is very good.

Mice
23rd Jul 2000, 16:51
Woftam,
Joined them on the unlimited plan ($19.95/mth if you have the phone with them also, or 24.95 otherwise) this gives you 300Mb/Mth download. Both myself and wife on internet a lot (she major part of day for business) and have not got close to the limit yet.
Speed depends on whether server connection o/seas or local. Now 2230 local time and speed great (ave 3.5K/sec) .
Only have disconnect if idle after about 40mins no activity, and only if system busy. Other times have been on for 7 hrs without trouble.
Recently had a telecom phone on same line in house go off after some months with no trouble. Found disconnect phone, finally new one, and no further disconnects. This was a pain, and I initially blamed One Net, however not their fault in end.
Have never had trouble getting on, but do know my dial-in has spare capacity at the moment. Suspect this may depend on where you will connect to the system as to how busy the system is.
Basically, I am much happier than with my last provider. Please note, my e-mail address is Ozemail, who I have been with for 7 years (before the internet became a novelty for the masses), however, to keep my original e-mail address, I still use their POP server inbound. I use One Net for all outbound and internet use as they have a local call dial-in from where I am, not STD>
Cheers

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

woftam
24th Jul 2000, 13:22
Thanks for the replies.
:)

Skypig
28th Jul 2000, 16:56
I agree with alice, I have tried most of them and am using Dingoblue, only thing to get the cheap rate you have to swap your long distance calls to them, mind you they are cheap too!! Well worth a look and never had a problem with being disconected!!

OzmateBugsmasher
30th Jul 2000, 14:38
depends on what you're using the net for as to whether you'll come close to burning 300mb per month of throughput.

Personally, playing online games uses about 25 meg per hour, and if you want to be part of a 'music community' :) then also expect your thruput to go up, with each track taking approx 5 mb.

SixDemonBag
1st Aug 2000, 09:51
I downloaded over 1 gig last month...mostly music. Thank god i dont pay per megabyte!

Vortex Wake
2nd Aug 2000, 15:10
using their 1p/min deal for daytime use-it seems to be faster than BT's evening freecall so I'm happy :) In fact had less problems getting on/being unexpectadly cut off than BT
Still waiting for my first bill though :)

Buster Hyman
5th Aug 2000, 17:12
Watch for the following from unotel:
1. They change the billing date occasionally which, if you pay late, they charge AUD5.00
2. They stop mailing you printed bills without authority and e-mailing them. You need the required program to access them.
3. They changed the unlimited plan from AUD19.95 to AUD24.95 and expected moi to cop the increase, again without authority from me, or the option to change plans.
4. Yes, they drop you out constantly and, of course, it's YOUR modem.
5. They used to send rubbish constantly in the mail about signing up for their ISD/STD calls which, even if you ignore them, they sign you up anyway (not that you are obliged to use them)
6. If you pay by phone, they advised me, and I quote; "The computer receipt means nothing". ie: you can argue black & blue for 3 months, like I did, that I'd paid a bill and quoted the allegedly useless receipt before someone finally got off their proverbial & corrected the error!

Bitter & twisted? No. Wiser & elsewhere? "Yes"! :mad: :mad: :mad:

woftam
6th Aug 2000, 06:48
Thanks for the replies.
I think I'll stay with my current ISP.
:)