PDA

View Full Version : Your hourly rate??

preduk
30th Jul 2008, 22:48
I'm looking to find what everyone is paying around the country for PPL flight training per hour? I've recently been hit with a sharp increase from my flying club, so much that I'm considering moving flight school.

Mine = £132 per hour + £21 instructor per hour and £9 per landing

cirruscrystal
30th Jul 2008, 23:50
Thats sounds on the steep side to me?

Maybe my club is just very good value - I would definately have a search around by the sounds of it and see what better deals you can find, you can afford to haggle a better deal for PPl in current environment.

Nashers
31st Jul 2008, 00:33
what sort of aircraft are your training on?

a C152 would be alot cheaper than a worrior.

preduk
31st Jul 2008, 00:59
I'm flying a cherokee at the moment, I am really worried about this. I'm at University while doing this and paying for all the training using my university funds and wages, it's a large jump from the previous prices.

I've had a look at Tayside, and they are quoting £157 for C152 or £162 for a Warrior. Cumbernauld are saying £148, but I've flown at the school before and never liked it much so I'm not wanting to go near them.

I'm waiting on Leading Edge getting back to me with a price.

gfunc
31st Jul 2008, 01:26
I know I'm going to come off sounding like a pr!ck, but that has never stopped me in the past....

Over here in the good olde USA I'm paying $95 (48 quid) and hour for an Alarus and $125 (63 quid) for a 172N. Instructors run at $40 (20 quid) an hour on top of that. This is in Albany/Schenectady, NY.

I was thinking of doing some flying when I came to visit the folks at home in the UK, but I was absolutely shocked at the rates. Add on top of that the 'well used' appearance of most options and the ever increasing landing fees.The rental rates is one of the few things keeping me from leaving this bloody place.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Jumbo744
31st Jul 2008, 03:55
Hello,

here in Canada, I fly the Diamond Eclipse DA20, 122$ + 47$ for the instructor.

pipertommy
31st Jul 2008, 08:00
Have you tried joining the University Air Squadron in Glasgow Airport? Free flying. Heres a link I found for you UGSAS Website - A Bravenet.com Hosted Site (http://www.ugsas.net/)

Good Luck.

Graham Borland
31st Jul 2008, 08:15
Are you at Prestwick? Did the landing fee just go up from £8?

daria-ox
31st Jul 2008, 10:54
I'm at Tayside : )
£157.80 - including Instructor + Landing fees :ok:

Edit!

And hours building £95 per hours :)

DarkSoldier
31st Jul 2008, 10:56
I'm very lucky to be part of a private club where fees for Cherokee are around the £95/hr mark including landing fees. Instructors are around £120/hr all in.

preduk
31st Jul 2008, 12:03
gfunc,

Your not sounding like a pr!ck at all, I'm just back from a tour around the world and had the opportunity to visit a few Canadian FTOs who said it would be $7,000CAD for the PPL. Over here I'm going to be paying about £6,000.

I have this theory that I would like to be fully UK trained, but the costs are just becoming ridiculious.

pipertommy,

Yeh I was going to join them previously, because I flew with them a number of times when I was in the cadets (many years ago), the problem is I've just joined the Strathclyde police as a special so I'm not sure I can join the reserves.

Graham,

Sorry. I mean £8 and yes I'm at Prestwick. I love prestwick, it's got amazing instructor, amazing airport to fly but the costs are pretty much forcing me out! :uhoh:

I can't wait to see the CPL costs when I start that :ugh:

DaveOEO
31st Jul 2008, 17:42
Yeah, i did some training at Cumbernauld, and although the hourly rate is slightly cheaper than Tayside, the landing fees soon mount up.

After having a bit of a break (to save funds, get my class 1 medical etc). I'm now looking to move to Tayside, as they seem to be the best option for me aswell. Have only heard good things about them aswell.
:ok:

preduk
31st Jul 2008, 17:45
Yeh, I've been told the Leading Edge rates and they aren't any good either. My other option is to fly the Bolkow Bo208 at Prestwick. It's old, but apparently good fun to fly.

Irish_Stu
31st Jul 2008, 18:08
Ulster Flying Club in Northern Ireland, 147quid an hour for instruction on a 172SP, either steam powered or glass cockpit, same price for both.

daria-ox
31st Jul 2008, 19:10
Dave, moving to Tayside is a great idea. The instructors are very good so as the prices. Pretty good airport and aircrafts :)

preduk
31st Jul 2008, 19:39
Inverness is something I would be interested in, but the 3hr journey time to get there is a bit much. Unless I was to save up all year and blast the hours during the summer, but you know what the weather is like.

pipertommy
31st Jul 2008, 20:27
Would`nt the UAS be more beneficial than the police? If you want a career in aviation.

360 degree mason
31st Jul 2008, 20:37
Piper Warrior in the South West (ish) - £148 per hour take off to touch down including allowance for taxi.

Very rarely pay full whack though. Excellent school and instructors (mine is a retired B747 captain), just found out he is leaving in 4 weeks time. Gutted:{:{:{:{

:ugh:

preduk
31st Jul 2008, 20:46
Yes and No.

The police is my backup career, but then I could get more flying from it. If I decided I wanted to join the UAS the selection isn't until Sept which means if I failed I couldn't join the Police or the UAS.

If only things were easier! :confused:

[Edit] I've just realised that I know someone in the Specials whos also in the TA.

I'm the same, my instructor has informed me today that he plans on leaving at the end of the year hes ex-mil instructor. However there are plenty of other good instructors there, just the cost is the problem.

MIKECR
31st Jul 2008, 21:04
Preduk,

Assuming you want Scottish based training, have you considered the Moray Flying Club at Kinloss? Dual training is £98 per hour. You could qualify for associate membership if you were a cadet, or if you have any existing relatives etc who are serving/ex serving Forces. Theres always a way in if push comes to shove!

You could pitceh up there for a couple of weeks(time allowing) and get pretty much a full ppl done, assuming the weather plays ball, and the instructor is willing to work 2 weeks solid.

Stratus Fractus
31st Jul 2008, 21:15
The weather is probably better at Inverness than most of the places mentioned so far. It is on the east coast so not as wet as the west, but also quite far "in" from the north sea so doesnt get affected by the fog as readily as, for example Aberdeen and Dundee. This is all my opinion, I have no stats to back it up.

If I was you and couldnt get into the UAS or afford to fly powered, I would go gliding somewhere locally, ie Portmoak, which is MUCH cheaper, and teaches extemely good handling skills and Airmanship, Then go somewhere in the summer to do your PPL. Those prices sound crazy to me..

Good Luck!

preduk
31st Jul 2008, 21:53
Mike,

That is a cracking idea. Most of my family are all ex-serviceman so I doubt it would be a problem getting in. I could save up all year then take a month or two leave and get it done.

Stratus Fractus,

It's an idea, it's just Kinross is ages away from me. I would only really want to travel that far if it was for powered flying.

MIKECR
31st Jul 2008, 22:00
No probs, best of luck. As Stratus hints at, you'll be flying in the 'Moray Riviera'! It has a unique weather system all to itself, thanks to its Cairngorm/Highland/Black Isle borders. While the rest of Scotland is getting pi**ed upon, the Moray coast is basking in blue sky and sunshine.

Biggles_77
1st Aug 2008, 12:56
I was paying around £125 an hour down in south wales but it suddenly jumped to £150 for my last hour! - its becoming real real expensive now.. Still love it though..

GusHoneybun
1st Aug 2008, 13:14
While the rest of Scotland is getting pi**ed upon, the Moray coast is basking in blue sky and sunshine.

Ah, but when the rest of jockland is in sunshine, the moray coast is getting piddled on. Like today :{

Seriously though, Inverness and Kinloss do statistically have the best flying weather in the UK over a year. Nairn, funnily enough, is the sunniest place in whole of the UK.
The school at Inverness has a good reputation, and seems to be very busy at the moment. Which, in my humble opinion, shows that they must be doing something right. Suitably motivated students have been known to get their PPL in three weeks (in mid january). Only down side is that they don't provide commercial training.
There are mixed opinions about MFC, personally I found it a negative place. All the posters and rulebook are preceded by Don't do this and Don't do that. They only have one full time instructor, the CFI, who is a bit draconion to say the least. There are two ways of doing things apparently, his way or the wrong way. Availability of instructor maybe an issue. Also getting on to the base in a major ballache.

ariel
1st Aug 2008, 14:15
Welshpool Flying School, at Mid Wales Airport

Present costs for flight instruction -
C150/152s £110 per hour dual. Nothing else to pay. No added instructor fees, no base landing fees, and no annual subscription fees to join/stay in, the school.

Come get it while it's hot!;)

preduk
1st Aug 2008, 14:16
I was looking at Leuchars flying club as well as they are closer. Even then, Inverness is £107 an hour which you can't beat. I could go up at some point (maybe during the summer) and do loads of hours.

If I pay for 10hours upfront then it would be £97 per hour which is great.

DaveOEO
1st Aug 2008, 19:12
Yep, hopefully i'll pop up to Tayside in the next few weeks to have a look about. It's good to hear that the instructors are good too, thats an important factor.

Also, i'm looking to do my commercial training with them too, so it'll be interesting to see exactly what they have on offer in regards to that.

Just can't wait to get back flying more than anything else at the moment!
:)

preduk
1st Aug 2008, 20:59
Tayside is a nice school, my instructor is doing the MCC up there and says they are a good lot.

I've decided I'm going to get in contact with Inverness and see what I can get booked. :ok:

Speed bird 002
1st Aug 2008, 22:22
Last time I called Cabair in Denham, they quoted me £200 per hr which includes all fuel and landing charges for PA-28.

Day light robbery me thinks :eek:

WALSue
2nd Aug 2008, 07:51
I have to pay extra for landings and T&G. The price rises at the weekend so at the moment while I'm doing circuits its a wee bit expensive :ugh:

pohlcatt1
2nd Aug 2008, 09:24
Australia: C150, AUD$206 (about 97 GBP) p/h plus a flat $15 each time for terminal navigation charges. The $206 includes a $12 fuel levy.

SparksFlyHigh
4th Aug 2008, 14:19
After reading this i think i am paying too much for what i am getting.

It was £152 an hour + £10 landing fee which was a discounted rate for a large deposit. (PA-28)

Now its just gone up and the pay as you fly rate for the pa-28 for dual training is £175 p/h with the discounted rate at £165 p/h. + landing fees.

nevilinio
5th Aug 2008, 10:54
Im paying £122 per hour all in. Thats in a C152. However i have paid a membership fee which was £90 for the entire year. Its a good deal if you fly a lot... :):)

Nev.

JohnRayner
5th Aug 2008, 12:19
Now then, a bit off topic here, sorry...

Nevilinio, how goes the eco-town saga out your way?

JR

(on topic £200 pa membership, £125-135 per hour midweek vs. weekend. No landing fee but then the aeroclub run the field. That's for C-152)

nich-av
29th Aug 2008, 01:53
Use for comparison:

60$ (33£) an hour wet on Cessna 150
65$ (36£) an hour wet on Cessna 152
90$ (49£) an hour wet on Cessna 172

Add 6.5% Ohio sales tax.

Tuckerr
31st Aug 2008, 23:15
I am sorry for bringing this thread up once again but reading through some of the prices stated here I think I may be paying a rather large amount more compared to others. I am currently flying in the South of England and am paying £189 per hour in a PA38, although that does include landing fees etc.

Does anybody else feel I may be paying slightly more in comparison to others or is just because of the rising prices we are experiencing in the current days?

Mikehotel152
1st Sep 2008, 07:42
Tuckerr, that does sound excessive. The PA38 is the equivalent of a C152, for which you shouldn't be paying more than £150 inclusive of instruction and landing fees. IMHO even £150 is too much.

One other thing people sometimes forget to factor into their flying costs is the cost of getting to their lessons. With fuel prices remaining high, it costs me a depressing £15 just to get to each of my lessons.:(

Shunter
1st Sep 2008, 08:42
My local FTO's rate for instructor hire (ie. for pilots with their own aircraft) is now £45/hr+vat for PPL-level stuff.

CY333
1st Sep 2008, 17:15
i just paid 1100 euros for 4 hours solo and two dual but got a good price at 10800 euros for 80 hours with a PA-38

loods
2nd Sep 2008, 08:18
about 450 sa rand(35pounds) + 250 rand for instructor

XXPLOD
2nd Sep 2008, 17:35
Edit] I've just realised that I know someone in the Specials whos also in the TA

This could be a worry! Special Constable - fine. In the TA - fine. Both? Mmmmmh. Alarm bells ringing. What do they do for a day job?

I've interviewed such persons many a time. I always have that 6th sense feeling there is something slightly 'odd' about them. This curious desire to to don uniforms but on a part time basis. Gareth in The Office always springs to mind.

No offence to anyone intended - purely a personal observation. If there are those out there who have the time to support both with a genuine wish to give something back, I take my hat off to them.

preduk
2nd Sep 2008, 17:41
Yeh I sort of agree with you, the person in question is planning on leaving the TA soon because of the time required for both roles. I don't know what she does as a "real" job though to be honest :confused:

INNflight
2nd Sep 2008, 18:13
226 US Dollars for a twin (Piper Apache) (= approx. 130GBP / hr)

preduk
4th Sep 2008, 18:44
Kinloss looks good but I think I'm heading up to Highland Flying School next summer to finish it in 2-3 weeks.

cumulus
5th Sep 2008, 20:55
Sixty quid for fifteen minutes straight missionary, no kissing and nothing up the a***.:E

I flew during a visit to Capetown, and I paid about 75 quid an hour for an 172R.

vincegod
5th Sep 2008, 22:32
I'm going to upset you guys now ;)

My recent training cost me: £75 per hours tacho time which works out at about £65 per hours flying time on a PA28-161. £20 per hour to the Instructor but some don't charge :p A 24/7 airfield in class D with no landing fees.

Vince

M1ghtyDuck
8th Sep 2008, 01:00
Where is that?? Do you have to pay a joining fee or annual membership or any other hidden cost?

eikido
8th Sep 2008, 06:34
I thought all hourly rates were tacho time? Or is it really the time the plane is away from their hangar?:eek:

Eikido

vincegod
8th Sep 2008, 11:01
It's a RAF flying club so is a non profit outfit hence the prices. My yearly membership is £160 as I'm a civvy member. Civvy membership is open to RAF-employed civilians, former members of the RAF, dependants, others at the discretion of the OIC. It helps if you have a tallent they need :ok:

Have a look here: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafflyingclubs/

Re the Tacho time, this is the hours meter on the tacho which only seems to start counting after the engine has reached so many revs. So it does not time correctly taxi time, etc :confused: Now this is diferent from a Hobbs which starts timing once the master is on.

Vince

tim79
9th Sep 2008, 12:57
I started my PPL recently with Donair at East Midlands - currently £120/hr all in for a C152 or £140/hr all in for a Warrior. Stump the readies up front for 10hrs and it's £115/hr or £135/hr. Quite reasonable considering the landing fees at East Midlands aren't the cheapest?