PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer file INETCFG.DLL

Steve Bidwell
14th Jul 2000, 13:08
I'm left pulling out what little hair I have. I am trying to switch to another ISP provider but every time I try, my computer comes up with the error message "unable to load INETCFG.DLL"

I have tried deleting Internet Explorer but there are a number of files which the computer refuses to delete and I suspect others which I haven't found. A further complication is that some weeks ago, I downloaded Internet Explorer v5.5 from the Microsoft web site so don't have a disk. Every time I try to reload Ie5 from either my Win98 setup disk or any of the free ISP disks, I get a message "windows has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer installed on this system, setup cannot continue" alternatively, the message "setup has detected that you already have the latest version of Internet Explorer"

I have tried speaking to the technical support line people at Thefreeinternet who suggested that I try to copy over the missing file from my cd drive, but the problem is that I apparently need the same version of IE5 for this to work and I don't have the disk because it is a download.

Any ideas please ?

Narada
15th Jul 2000, 00:26
You can get IEradicator from www.98lite.net (http://www.98lite.net) for free - that should help solve your problem.

lame
15th Jul 2000, 02:54
I downloaded IE 5.5 during the week, have had terrible trouble with it, so just got rid of it.

If you go to control panel, then add/remove programs, you should be able to do what I have just done, that is revert to your previous version of IE.

Steve Bidwell
17th Jul 2000, 00:06
Thanks Narada, all is sort of well now, I get messages now and again asking me to load the odd file or two but that's no trouble now thanks. At last I am connected to thefreeinternet-well it's not really free, it costs 50 quid for the year to connect on an 0800 number but if it works it will save me that over the next couple of months !

Thanks again !

Flying Banana
17th Jul 2000, 03:45
If you need to reinstall IE5.5 look for a file on your hard drive called Widows Update Setup or something similar, this will contain the whole IE5.5 download.

If you have deleted it and want it drop me an email as I have saved it and could send it to you via ICQ file transfer.

Steve Bidwell
17th Jul 2000, 11:48
Thanks, I am running a customised version of IE 5.0 which came on one of these giveaway disks (I didn't customise it). It seems to look the same as the 5.5 and it seems to be running ok now.

Thanks again.