PDA

View Full Version : IP ??

Skytrucker87
2nd Nov 2000, 23:05
Is there any way in which us non-executive PPRuNe members can check the IP of other contributors?

I am concerned because I found a posting under my name which I most definitely did NOT make and neither can I delete it.

Seems petty to make a fuss about it as it wasn't really that bad but I was still annoyed!

Regards

Sky T (the genuine one!)

PPRuNe Dispatcher
2nd Nov 2000, 23:24
In many cases, and sometimes with the assistance of the users ISP it is possible to determine the real identity of a user given an IP address. As we allow users the privilige of remaining anonymous, we will not release IP addresses unless we are legally required to. I don't believe this has ever happened.

Send me email (my address is in my profile) detailing which post you want deleted and I will investigate it.

PPRuNe Dispatcher

mriya225
5th Nov 2000, 18:42
Hi Skytrucker87,
I saw this contribution from Crash Dive in the "Freebies worth having" thread, and thought of you:

NeoTrace - available at http://www.neotrace.com

"...allows you to determine just where a server or IP address exists, who owns it, and via what routing your connection is being made to it."

Good luck!

------------------
The diva with many talents.

CrashDive
5th Nov 2000, 19:36
Uhm, as PPRuNe Dispatcher said, here at PPRuNe HQ we would only reveal somebodies IP address under serious duress (i.e a court order, etc) - and as yet we've never had to do this.

Thus, whilst TraceRoute is very good it will not help you track anything posted on PPRuNe as we would not give you access to the IP you'd like to trace in the first place. Sorry.

mriya225
6th Nov 2000, 03:01
Hi Crash Dive,
Just wondering...
I looked into Zone Alarm and am really satisfied with it (good recommendation) - the firewall has locked out several "snoopers" so far (she reports with a devlish smile).
Would something like this have helped Skytrucker87?

------------------
The diva with many talents.

PPRuNe Towers
6th Nov 2000, 11:10
By far the most common cause for sneak posts is leaving log in details on public or semi public machines.

Not suggesting that this is the case for Skytrucker but it is unbelievable how often you find PPRuNe in the history list and log in details still resident on hotel/internet cafe machines.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]