PDA

View Full Version : Check this out.

cieloitaliano
29th Jul 2008, 20:04
We've all 'rowed' a sailing vessel of some sort in a strong cross current.
Is this the same principle? Engines set at different thrust settings to compensate for a sidewind?

http://images2.jetphotos.net/img/1/7/2/2/30937_1216841227.jpg

Tight Slot
29th Jul 2008, 22:23
Both engines will be at the same power setting (thrust). To compensate for a x wind all we do (or shall I say the Auto Pilot does!) is to set a heading into wind so our track over ground stays on course. Cross wind from the left, the nose will point left, thus giving a track over the ground to the next way point.

Regards

Pugilistic Animus
29th Jul 2008, 23:28
Obviously the 'Chem Trail generator' for the {Right Starboard}:} {injin}:} must be a MEL item :} ---better get her to the {Hanger}:}

PA

nacluv
30th Jul 2008, 09:31
The pesticide nozzles are slightly blocked on the stbd side. Serves them right for using an airliner for crop dusting. Show-offs.

OR

Is it overflying Fort Knox? If so, Pussy Galore's Flying Circus has done very well for itself since 'Goldfinger' if it can now afford a fleet of Boeing Airbuses.

Rainboe
31st Jul 2008, 11:50
The reason the chem.......contrails look different is this: the vortex under the wing flows outward and above the wing inward. This 'swirls' the vortex so that the outer part of the core flows up and the inner flows down. If you view obliquely like this, it can make the vortexes appear differently to one another. Having said that, I am not sure why there appears to be such a difference in the exhaust core of the engine. Again, viewed from another angle, it probably looks the same.

Seloco
31st Jul 2008, 12:20
There's something not quite right about that photo - I'm not convinced it's genuine. The relative angles seem strange, and observation says that contrails normally start somewhat further behind the engines than is shown here, because it takes a finite amount of time and therefore distance for the core stream to cool down to the point where the water vapour condenses.

AircraftOperations
31st Jul 2008, 15:01
Very hard to tell the distances behind the engines that the trails start, because the photo is almost head-on and the aircraft so far away from the camera.

Looks genuine to me.