PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training: 1st bit in UK then the rest in the US?

vabsie
29th Jul 2008, 09:02
Hi all ...

It's been a while since I've posted something on pprune. I was hoping to have started my PPL by now but work unfortunately got in the way.

My initial plan was to go over to the states (oba or orlando flight training), or similar to do the training in hopefully 3 or 4 weeks.

As I won't be able to take 3 weeks off work any time soon I was wondering if you think the below could work as I'm quite keen to start with some training.

Do a block of say 20 hours flying in the UK (I would probably go through Stapleford as they are by far the closest to me) and then the rest in the US. Hopefully while doing the 1st 20 hours in the UK I can also sit my 7 exams and get up to a solo level of flying setting me up nicely for the states?

Then when I can actually get 3 weeks off work I know (hope) that I already have 20 hours of flying and the exams under my belt and come back to the UK with my license after 3 weeks in the US?

Has anyone done it like this? I realise that this might financially not be the cheapest option but I am keen to fly in both the US and the UK as part of my flight training if this is possible? It also means that I could start soon in the UK.

Any advice/concerns in doing it like this? cheers

jmteh
29th Jul 2008, 09:16
How about doing your PPL in the UK and build your hours in US? This way, you dont need to take 3 weeks off if you can't. Just do a week or two weeks of hour building when you can get time off. :ok:

vabsie
29th Jul 2008, 09:31
thanks good advice jmteh

i think doing my full ppl in the uk could potentially take a long time with the uncertain weather ...

as for hour building, would be good to do that for the experience but i have no intension of taking up flying as a career, just for pleasure really :)

BigGrecian
29th Jul 2008, 10:31
You will probably end up repeating some stuff which you did in the UK in the US so that they can be sure that you are up to standard for solo.

Also at Private level most people are unable to assimilate the small differences between two different methods, which means extra flight training is required.

I would recommend a one stop approach.

G SXTY
29th Jul 2008, 22:53
Ditto. Flying in the US is very different to the UK. (Note for the FAA enthusiasts, I didn't say better or worse, just different.)

If you complete your PPL in Florida, you'll almost certainly need a few hours extra training back in the UK, to get used to the different RT and airspace (particularly if you're planning to fly around the London TMA - it's very busy). And then, of course, there's the weather. Training in the UK can be incredibly frustrating (we've all been there) but it at least it will give you a good grounding for your future PPL flying.

vabsie
30th Jul 2008, 11:27
thanks for the replies ... all noted.

nickyjsmith
30th Jul 2008, 20:25
For me, it would be a few hrs uk to make sure i'm happy, finish ppl in better weather ( flying skills are the same all over) and then back for upto 10 hrs with an instructor to get safe in uk airspace.
In the last 2 years, i have had loads of time off but no luck with the weather. Was ready for my qxc in march 07, got it done in sept 07 having already done ir and lowlevel. Then couldn'tget a mock test in untill dec 07, weather was u/s after that. Have had 3 or 4 tests cancelled due to weather. To keep my hand in i have used about 20-25 hrs, done 3 mock tests now and again have not been able to fly due to weather or no lessons available when i have been. Test this week if i'm lucky after 1 lesson.
If you can take a few weeks off, go get it done and come back and get some P1 hrs in post some instructor time for uk familiarisation.
The early part of ppl training is less of a problem in the uk, its the latter part where you need good viz and cloudbase.
I have spent £11k, nearly half of that has been currency when the weather was to bad to do the syllabus. It would have been cheaper to take a months unpaid leave.
All the best,

Nick.

vabsie
31st Jul 2008, 19:47
thanks Nick ...

I have been thinking in those lines.. appreciate the advice.

benish
31st Jul 2008, 21:36
Im in the same boat.

I should have started a PPL and had a lesson every week day for the past 3 weeks, but all of my lessons have been canceled due to weather! I'm training at multiflight, so its no surprise!
Im getting sick of it now, and my instructor has said, although its alot different, if I'm aiming to get a ATPL then I should go to Florida and do a PPL then come back and do some familiarisation in the UK before the CPL stage simply because its much better to train in better weather and its going to save sooo much money!

If I was only wanting a PPL for fun then I wouldnt be bothered, but the money that can be saved that could be spent on ground school by going to the USA tempts me!

Could I do all the exams then head off to the USA with 0 hours?

G SXTY
1st Aug 2008, 11:44
Well if you will train up in the hills, what do you expect? ;) Leeds Bradford doesn't have the best of reputations for weather.

Nothing to stop you doing the written exams over here then jetting off to Florida for the flying. Just make sure that it's co-ordinated between the schools - ask whichever school you're planning to fly from in FL, they can advise you best.

Beware though, we're heading towards hurricane season in Florida. Turn up during one of those and you'll wish you were back at LBA!

benish
1st Aug 2008, 16:26
thanks for the advice

when is it actually the best time to visit florida? id be thinking of either going in a months/6 weeks time, or in november, or next year (feb/march time)

thanks

JohnGV
3rd Aug 2008, 04:38
Come to canada! im doin PPl at the mo, flyin everyday - not 1 flight cancelled so far and we had some pretty hairy weather last couple o days! im on Vancouver island! goin by the schools average at what ill pay - $9500 - about 5 thousand pounds! im from England, been over here a month. Victoria flying club is great!!

Regards,
Johngv