PDA

View Full Version : Orion Aviation and So Cal Marine layer......

CraigyD
29th Jul 2008, 07:43
So, has anyone had any dealings with Orion Aviation in Carlsbad, So Cal? Seem to offer reasonable prices and they were very helpful when I spent a fortune calling them on the phone. They said that the Marine Layer usually is gone by the afternoon so should not affect my plan of obtaining an FAA PPL + 100 PIC hours building in 3 months (April, May and June 2009). Just wondered if that is fairly true to say, or they are just saying it so I go and give them lots of money!

Thanks

Craig

gfunc
29th Jul 2008, 13:37
I don't live there, but I think there are a couple of folks on these forums that do and I'm sure they'll be along later. Anywho a good first check is the national weather service page for Carlsbad:

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 33.15N and Longitude -117.35W (Elev. 23 ft) (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=sgx&smap=1&textField1=33.15806&textField2=-117.34972)

you can look at 3 days worth of METARS (link below the Satellite and Radar images) and at the moment it looks pretty marine layer-y to me, although this is August not April/May/June. There's also a forecast discussion link there and at the end they always have an aviation section.

If you are really (and mean really) bored you could look at the archived visible satellite data here:

GIBBS ISCCP B1 Browse System (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/gibbs/)

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers,

Gareth.

MDT06
29th Jul 2008, 17:53
I live one hour away and the marine layer burns by noon. Try pinnacle academy in the same airport, they have great airplanes, well maintained, and more choices in case one goes down for maintenance. They have an excellent reputation in southern California.

Good luck....

If you have any questions about places around southern california, feel free to send me a PM.

Julian
29th Jul 2008, 18:05
Have flown in the LA basin quite a bit and the marine layer is usually gone by midday, although it has been known to hang about longer. If you doing 100PIC then why not add an FAA IR rather than just burn holes?

Another thing to note is that it conversly fogs in in the evening due to the basin so be careful as you may not be able to get back in unless you have an IR and end up diverting elsewhere to spend the night.

J.

CraigyD
29th Jul 2008, 21:14
If you doing 100PIC then why not add an FAA IR rather than just burn holes?

My budget will only be enough for one or the other and as I plan on going on to obtain a JAA (f)ATPL thought I could do my hour building requirements for starting a CPL course back home. Although being forced to divert is a worry and a pain :bored:!

If was able to get some money for an FAA SE IR (Please daddy, as I've been good, could you lend me some money please
:O!!! Fat chance!), whats the deal with converting it to a JAA ME IR? Is it still a standard '15hrs' conversion course, as long as I get an ME rating first?

Julian
30th Jul 2008, 09:01
As far as I know its still a 15hr hour (min) conversion course. I know a few poeple who done the FAA -> JAA IR route and converted with no problems.

You could tell your Dad that by doing the FAA IR first it will save him money in the long run and give you two licences instead of one - maybe that will appeal to his sensible nature :ok:

J.

CraigyD
30th Jul 2008, 09:15
Well, its an option. I spoke to the school again and they said I should budget for around $10,000 for an IR.

maybe that will appeal to his sensible nature :ok:

Lol, if he gives me any money at all that is! Paying for the training myself, but I guess there is no harm in asking :}! Sure he'll just laugh, "If I win the lottery maybe!"