PDA

View Full Version : Modular courses?

Mark1234
29th Jul 2008, 05:58
Couple of questions:
Who still does modular courses (I've seen Oxford do, and FTE do not anymore, struggling to come up with others)
How feasible/reasonable is it to move between providers for modules?

Also, what is the difference between a 'modular course'; and just going out there and getting all the bits (ME/ CPL / IR etc.) on an ad-hoc basis?

Thanks.

[edit] I'm actually a pom, temporarily resident in aus, and in another career. I'm looking to do the fATPL thing back in JAAland, getting as much done as possible before quitting my current career. However, my current career has me posted here, so doing mental gymnastics to figure how to make it work. Integrated has a certain appeal, but in the current climate I think that's far too big a chunk of money and risk. I already have a PPL and 75hrs, working on upping that as we speak.

Whirlygig
29th Jul 2008, 07:11
In JAA-land, it is very easy to train at different schools for different qualifications - PPL at one place, groundschool somewhere, hour building all over, CPL elsewhere etc.

It is, however, more tricky to change course provider in the middle of a course; you can, but there's a lot of paperwork involved!

Cheers

Whirls

ali1986
29th Jul 2008, 17:36
Tried Stapleford in Essex? lots of good feedback from there.

yellowsubmarine
29th Jul 2008, 17:56
Tried Stapleford in Essex? lots of good feedback from there. :ugh:

RTN11
29th Jul 2008, 18:01
I believe there's a list on the CAA website, but there's loads of places here in Bournemouth,

I'm doing my ATPL theory currently with BCFT, but there's also Cabair, PAT and CTC.

The difference between Modular Course and doing it all on an ad-hoc basis seems to be the ATPL theory. If you just do CPL + IR, it is not the same as doing ATPL exams then CPL practical and IR practical.

Its hard to see the differences between the modern modular courses and integrated courses. They both seem to take about the same amount of time if done intensively, but the integrated is twice the price and you come out with 50 less hours.