Hi, am running the following

Abit KT7a
Athlon 900
512Mb PC133 Micron
Abit Siluro Geforce2 MX400 64Mb
Quantum Fireball LM 30Gb UDMA66
SBLive! 1024 Value
Diamond 56K Modem

oh and Win 98SE (this is in preference to ME which gave me bad experiences and chosen as the ('allegedly') most stable version of W9x.

The problem is black screen freezes requiring a dirty reboot, happens in the following situations. When trying to load FlyII (gratis copy from a magazine reviewer!)- install starts and runs for about 30 secs then dies! Also when trying to download real WX from within FS2K.

It will run RANT, Office 2K apps fine plus things like Ultradev and Photoshop without hanging.

I suspect a hardware conflict or potentially a vscan problem. Am downloading the latest Nvidia Detonator drivers as we speak to try that avenue and will update the VScan Dats tonight.

Am I overlooking anything obvious or anyone suffered similar ?
:confused:

Anyone with similar HW config experienced anything like this ? W-2K or even W-XP is looking like the next step.......

What_does_this_button_do?
18th Oct 2001, 19:14
You've more or less answered your own question. The only time you have problems is with games.

The games are using the 3D features of your graphics card and then it fails (the weather you mention is an added complication for the system to create and display on the screen which I think is the last straw on the camels back).

5711N0205W
18th Oct 2001, 20:47
Yes that makes sense, it is the install of Fly that causes the crash rather than the game start but it may be doing a hardware check for the Nvidia, I'll see if the new drivers cure it.

5711N0205W
19th Oct 2001, 11:58
Rebuilt with WinME last night and everything fine until I updated my version of McAfee with it's 78 (no kidding) update patches. Now we're freezing again. Guess I'll try Trend.