PDA

View Full Version : entry level expat jobs?

TXaviator
28th Jul 2008, 20:56
Greetings all.

I have recently completed a part 141 school (accelerated training) here for my FAA CPL multi and single engine, with instrument rating, and was wondering what options there are for entry level work in Africa?

I am willing to make a time commitment, and will consider all locations.

If anyone has ideas of good places to start looking, please let me know! thanks!!

(unfortunately I cannot just "show up" and pass out CV's at this point, as I am in the States...but I am willing to relocate very quickly)

beijingbob1hitman1
29th Jul 2008, 12:46
No need to show up just email your CVs in Microsoft word format. Look on the internet with a search engine for what kind of jobs you would like and respond with emails and attachments.
That is how I got my last few jobs over the last few years.:D

TXaviator
29th Jul 2008, 15:58
well right i understand I can search on google also, but it seems this part of the world is more oriented on connections and networking with people, and most jobs are not posted on the internet.

this is why i am asking you guys who are better connected! :-D

TXaviator
4th Aug 2008, 09:16
anyone got any ideas of places to try that might be willing to take on a fresh commercial ticket??

need that first break! got student loans to pay off!

:-D

j_ralph
4th Aug 2008, 20:29
I just sent an application out for a job in Angola... waiting to hear back, but know it will be an adventure, and its a completly new operation with two relativly new Cessna 208's.

JR

flux
4th Aug 2008, 22:11
Good on ye, hope you come right. Let us know

ascends in autos
5th Aug 2008, 02:37
I'm interested in this discussion as well....have my CPL R/W and I'm considering moving to SA. So I'm obviously interested in helicopter jobs, and I'm pretty open to anything...not picky...just want to fly.
I don't have my CFI ticket yet, and also wondering if that is something I can obtain in SA vs finishing CFII here in the US.

Do I need to convert my FAA license? Is SA JAA?

I don't have any turbine time yet, but hoping to remedy that very soon.

Tango24
6th Aug 2008, 15:08
Try Botswana - specifically Maun - lots of pilots leaving at teh end of the year - from October onwards.
Good Luck

TXaviator
6th Aug 2008, 18:37
hate to be a bother, but do you have anything more specific than that? like even the names of any operators / places to contact / people to contact?

Just giving me a country to check out is a bit vague... like saying "hey go check out america!".... well, since im not there, and dont have any connections there yet, it doesnt get me very far! :-D

i have done some general research about that area of the world though and I would certainly be interested in working there.... just need a bit more of a lead if you have it! thanks much!

Bok4life
6th Aug 2008, 22:21
Hi TXaviator, I am a 26 year old South African who live in New Zealand and have done some research on Botswana, I am completing my multi IR CPL in 5 weeks time and.
Like Tango24 said, Botswana is a good place to look at, especially Maun, huge in tourism.
A little heads up on Botswana, most operators there would expect u to show up on their door step, for you to fly with them and them to get to know u a bit.
Use wikipedia.org to get an understanding of Botswana (Maun) and what its all about, there are no shortcuts in this and very few people can give u all ur answers in one sentence, spend some time reading, and I mean a lot, this will clear things up for you, also e-mail all their chiefs pilots, majority of them are very nice people.
:-)

alpha-b
7th Aug 2008, 03:25
Tx aviator,try sefofane it's one of the main charter in MAUN just google it as i don't have the address

TXaviator
7th Aug 2008, 07:10
thanks for the advice guys, i will check out those operators.

as far as showing up and shaking hands, i would love to, but just packing up and leaving the country without having a job lined up is a huge gamble for me.... not one im sure i could do without having a significant amount of money saved up at least.... :-\

superllama87
11th Aug 2008, 10:29
what about on the management/ground side of things? air transport management student finishing university at the end of the year and looking for an entry level position.

Pace152
11th Aug 2008, 15:32
Hey TX,

I have exactly the same problem you do, I contacted Sefofane about 3 months ago and they said they deffinetly needed people - but I would have to turn up in Botswana for an interview!!

I live in the UK and it's abit far for me to go just to be told I wasn't what they wanted or something.

I even checked into how I would get there and I would have had to fly to South Africa then basically cross a few hundred miles on foot through the safari, holding lions at bay with harsh language, so I gave it a miss.

Rawrawhammer
11th Aug 2008, 17:44
From what I gathered so far, you are expected to show up at the doorstep for a job in most of Africa when it comes to low experience charter jobs especially if you're a fresh CPL.
It's a pretty big risk to take in terms of $$$$ so I have to think long and hard about it after having spent a fortune on a CPL.
Best of luck

pablo2973
11th Aug 2008, 17:49
Basically that ,do not send CV and wait ,because before you know your CPL IR and ME will expire and also youŽll forgetting everything faster than you think .
My advice sen CV via e mail ,and phone then straight away ,talk to chief pilots and get as much info here as posible about small twins operators ,South africa is good place I heard.....

scavalenger
15th Aug 2008, 13:27
Hi TX,

How's your job hunting in Africa? Would you not want to fly in US since all the regional airlines are desperatly looking for pilots as low as 250 hrs..I am sure you'll fit in and get a chance to fly straight on Dash 8, ATRs or even CRJ..I know it's low pay but atleast you get type rating and after a yr or two, you can go overseas airlines..I am AUstralian citizen but I got my ticket in U.S, I would love to fly there and airlines wants to recruit me but the only thing is I don't have a green card..So I came back to AU and now I am in GA just flying in remote areas and built up more hours..I only have AU CPL so don't get a chance to move up here in AU..and I am still looking for a chance to go to overseas and use FAA full licence..

when I had my fresh ticket, not even single operators reply back to me..after I had about 500 hours, they replied but with regrets..Now I got over 700 hours and I applied for Air26 in Angola and I was selected for FO position in Brazilia..but they asked me if I would pay for the type rating and how long I wish to stay with them, and abit about their country ofcourse...I just wanted to try my luck, not that 100% keen so I said I will not pay for type rating and wishes to stay minimum so they didn't write back to me..It was abit silly to tell them that but in my end, I am only flying C210, C310 or BE58 charter works but living in Australia and pay is alot better than in Angola..however I can't just stay here and fly GA, gotta look for better turbo job as next step inorder to move up to Jet after.

Anyway...I just wanna share my experience with you and good luck..stay in touch if you need any helps!

TXaviator
15th Aug 2008, 16:18
Well in short, the situation in the US has gone from bad to terrible. the airlines are FIRING, not hiring. all guys who were hired last year with 250TT are now FIRED and looking for work. this is why I am looking for work in other parts of the world.

Probably going to quit aviation completely for a while, there is no jobs for entry level right now. :-(

Solid Rust Twotter
15th Aug 2008, 17:58
Might be worth your while to do the Grand Tour from Maun, Botswana to Zambia and then across to Tanzania if you have a few dollars and a couple of months' leave going spare.

scavalenger
17th Aug 2008, 03:20
Just don't give up flying career if that's your dream...I went through the same thing, some of us are unfortunate and finish training at the wrong time..worst come to worst, if you really wanna fly, hang in there, just become an instructor or something, the best I know is Sheble Aviation in Kingman, AZ, they'll train you and take you for sure...and you'll built up your hours really quick and once you get ATP, they'll kick you out...then try overseas.

Dupre
17th Aug 2008, 10:31
TX check your PMs.

Pace152 - Sefofane have been hiring pretty much non-stop over the past 6 months. And they are only one of 6 operators in Maun. Harsh language is a fairly good lion deterrent (they are polite animals) - but a better way would probably be Air Botswana who fly from Jo'burg to Maun every day... just don't expect them to be on time :P