View Full Version : Obtaining an American ATPL

flybypilot
28th Jul 2008, 16:13
Hi guys,

I have all the requirements for my JAA ATPL except the skills test which I will be doing at my next Sim. I also want to get, and need, my american ATPL after this Sim which will be on a new type.

At present I have an american PPL. Can I get an American ATPL issued off the back of my JAA ATPL or do I need to do seperate tests. If seperate is that both flight and ground exams?

Many thanks in advance!

FBP

CL300
28th Jul 2008, 16:28
step zero : obtain at least a third class FAA medical
step one : have TSA to approve your training
step two : take the written exam
step three: make sure the trto knows about it
step four : take the JAA and FAA written test ( ground school)
Step five : sit the FAA oral exam prior the sim
step six : on your check ride do the extra manoeuvers required as per FAA PTS.

this is it

hollingworthp
28th Jul 2008, 16:28
Not too sure on the relevance of this thread to BizJet / Ag Flying / GA.

Perhaps Professional Pilot Training would be a better place?

pilotbear
28th Jul 2008, 17:06
why bother posting if you have nothing to add. The guy is obviously working as a pilot as he is doing a 'new type rating'. He must have 500 hrs Multi crew time to have 'requirements for the JAA ATPL', plus the fact he needs an FAA ATPL is indicative of a corporate/private environment where both licenses are valuable.
CL300 has it nailed there, you should be able to do the lot in one checkride if they have dual rated examiner or two available on the day. I have done it on my ratings however, make sure you have a good technical knowledge for the FAA oral exam as some of the FAA guys take their job very seriously and will give you a 2hr grilling. (The trick there is to ask them technical questions, or to explain stuff to you)
Try and do the oral on a different day to the checkride which will be around 5hrs.
The ATPL checkride is the same as a normal type rating ride but to higher standards.
the basic extra stuff for FAA is circle to land whereas the extra for JAA is steep turns, stalls and raw data ILS.
There is also a different single engine missed approach climb gradient procedure for FAA and JAA.:ok:

NuName
28th Jul 2008, 20:07
Well said pilotbear:D Too often I read putdowns here instead of helpfull comments which we are all in need of from time to time. If we all stuck together as pilots and helped each other when we can our lot would be better. Too many self perceived aviation gods out there.

pilotbear
28th Jul 2008, 21:44
but where would we be without them to watch over us? the very fabric of aviation as we know it would be doomed:eek: