PDA

View Full Version : QF Adelaide air return

Taildragger67
28th Jul 2008, 15:39
R&N thread on QF Adelaide air return (http://www.pprune.org/forums/rumours-news/336900-quantas-makes-emergency-landing-adl-adelaide.html)

... just to prevent parallel discussions on the topic.

airsupport
28th Jul 2008, 21:52
Surely THIS is the forum for it. :confused:

Anyway they are talking about some Airline called QUANTAS. ;)

lowerlobe
28th Jul 2008, 22:14
....Thats not as bad as an Australian morning TV program showing footage of a 737 and telling us it was a 767 that had problems.

I guess that if it's a jet then that's close enough for the Australian media....:yuk:

Then when interviewing an 'Aviation Expert' asked whether the flying public should be concerned about the safety at Qantas...

I think that the public at large should be more concerned about erroneous reports in the media...

mates rates
28th Jul 2008, 22:20
The media are now like a dog with a bone about every little thing that happens at Qantas.It won't be a good few months for their PR department .They will be in constant damage control.

QF22
28th Jul 2008, 22:51
So what was the reco and A/c type can anybody tell us?

Urshtnme
28th Jul 2008, 23:08
Passenger spills coffee on self!!!! Mid air emergency!!!

Bloody media over here are shocking, you could fart on a Qantas flight and they'll call it a mid air emergency!

A gear door wouldn't shut so they turned around and landed. Definatly not a mid air emergency.

Green gorilla
28th Jul 2008, 23:38
Its like being famous you need the media but then you dont.

Metro man
28th Jul 2008, 23:41
Not the same airline as it was in the 1970s. Back then anything wrong was simply fixed regardless of time or cost. A first class safety record, the envy of the rest of the world.

Now commercial pressures have resulted in cost cutting at all levels and over the years we've seen the results.

Islander Jock
28th Jul 2008, 23:58
I know of a couple of incidents that have occurred at regional airports (not only where I am) that the journos would have a field day with. Good thing is though, the airport doesn't blab, the airline doesn't blab and without a camera stuck in their faces, the pax couldn't give a monkey's.
If only it was that easy in the cities. :ugh:

blackd
29th Jul 2008, 00:25
7's Sunrise-what a joke! Firstly there was the world's smallest 767 ie a 737, then some 'Aviation Expert' (no qualifications mentioned!) quoting the aircraft takes a month to do a C check. In SYD HM we used to do them in a week-I guess things have really slipped since I left!! :}

Then the coup-d-grace: he blamed the Assoc. (union) for reporting all these 'incidences' to the press to strengthen their case. Yeh-like the press doesn't want to know about 'mid-air dramas'!! :rolleyes: They're all just swept under the proverbial carpet by an international airline conspiricy. :* :*

Note to 7: next time, get someone credible before you publish. In the meantime I'm off to 9: at least they know the difference between twin engined Boeing aircraft! :*

Pilotette
29th Jul 2008, 00:53
Yep its def a 767..i can see it out the window. Its parked over at "maintenance"..not much going on though. (Apart from Ch 7 and a couple of photographers hanging round the fence out there earlier) Not sure bout Rego though.

Fris B. Fairing
29th Jul 2008, 03:25
Morning TV showed OGK but that could have been "file footage". Suggest in the meantime avoid flying on anything with a registration ending in "K".

Mr. Hat
29th Jul 2008, 05:53
Big difference between a "door" and a "gear door". I wonder what the average IQ is in the press. Surely you'd check with someone with even a vague idea first.

QUANTAS

Pedota
29th Jul 2008, 08:41
If this is true, landing gear failing to fully retract is more serious than a gear door not closing. Anyone have more information?

From ABC

Troubled Melbourne-bound Qantas plane to fly again

The Melbourne-bound Qantas flight that was forced to return to Adelaide last night will be back in the air this evening.

Qantas has confirmed that the left landing gear failed to retract fully on Flight-692, forcing the plane to return to Adelaide.

Passengers were delayed for a couple of hours but Qantas says there was no safety risk posed by the failure.

Pedota
29th Jul 2008, 11:28
O*K James - I believe you.

Aussie Insider
29th Jul 2008, 11:38
Perhaps a peculiar coincidence?:confused:

Taildragger67
29th Jul 2008, 12:46
Urshtnme,

Mate trust me, the Aussie media are waaaaaay behind the UK hacks in that respect - especially those who 'work' for the Daily Mail.

If a Mail reporter had been on this, the crew would've been grimly wrestling with the controls of the bucking aircraft as it plunged from the sky, preventing it from crashing into a nearby school/hospital/gay endangered whale sanctuary etc. whilst the pax all thought they would die after the left thronomister fell off just after take-off, causing the aircraft to lurch violently, thereby preventing a door from closing... then of course they all complianed because, whilst grimly wrestling with the controls, they didn't take the time to get on the PA to explain precisely what had happened and seek a vote amongst the pax as to whether they should return to YPAD or press on to YMML because Gladys in 16E had a funeral to get to... :hmm:

Airsupport,

Ordinarily I would agree with you, except that the one in R&N had already started & had had a few replies so it seemed to me best to head this one off at the pass.

Karunch
29th Jul 2008, 14:40
As a passenger on the afforementioned Qf 692, I can report that it was well handled by the crew & as best as can be expected by the ground staff when some 200 passengers descend upon the desk at once, all demanding answers. Not a newsworthy event at all.

lowerlobe
29th Jul 2008, 22:07
As the saying goes.. "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

airsupport
29th Jul 2008, 22:19
Airsupport,

Ordinarily I would agree with you, except that the one in R&N had already started & had had a few replies so it seemed to me best to head this one off at the pass.

Well I cannot see the logic in that.

It is news specific to Australia, and I, like I am sure many others here, mainly only read the D+G Forums, certainly rarely post on any other Forums, so it seems silly NOT to have news of a major Australian incident on the D+G Forums.

Why have the D+G Forums then?

May as well close them down. :(

NG ExPat
30th Jul 2008, 00:35
Fijian Times had an article about this today. BIG BOLD LETTERS AIRLINER DOOR COMES OPEN IN FLIGHT........then in little bitty print towards the end of the article.......saying it was a gear door. I was in the US when the Depressurization happened last week.......All the major news media, were talking about how the airliner plunged out of the sky. WHAT A BUNCH OF FREAKING IDIOTS!!!