View Full Version : Desensitization to Audio Warnings

OCCWMF
28th Jul 2008, 12:45
Hey folks,

Google and proone searches have failed to bear fruit - I'm hoping one of you can help.

I'm after open source studies on the effects of the frequency of occurence of audio warnings on their subjects, specifically pilots if possible. Ideally it would be something defining the point at which they start to desensitize the pilot.

Many thanks in advance,

OCCWMF

John Marsh
29th Jul 2008, 14:35
Alarm desensitisation is an issue in the medical field. An article from Philips is at
Philips Issues Alarm Notification Warning Letter :: Medical Connectivity (http://medicalconnectivity.com/2006/01/25/philips-issues-alarm-notification-warning-letter/)

This is also commented on in the Risks Digest:
The Risks Digest Volume 17: Issue 51 (http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/17.51.html)

As there does not seem to be an aviation-focused study, perhaps the professional membership of PPRuNe could contribute data?

speedrestriction
29th Jul 2008, 17:25
On a tangent, good SOP can counter the effects. In my company (and I suspect most others) every time there is an aural caution/warning the PNF must identify and annunciate the relevant caution/warning.

Shawn Coyle
29th Jul 2008, 21:34
What is it you are trying to prove? If there are sources that indicate the problem exists in lots of other fields, then adding pilots to the list should be pretty easy.
You might look at Concorde regarding warnings - they had a ton of 'em evidently, and it was very difficult to keep them straight.
On a more practical note - does anyone pay attention to car alarms any more?

Brian Abraham
30th Jul 2008, 06:10
Can attest to the fact that audio is one of the first senses we lose in times of stress. Had an engine failure at an inopportune time and while trying to keep us out of the water the copilot asked "do you want me to cancel the engine out warning?" Engine out warning? Up to that point I hadn't heard it, but I knew full well what our problem was.

safetypee
30th Jul 2008, 12:37
May be some info in report No. DOT/FAA/RD81/ 38, II entitled "Aircraft Alerting Systems Standardisation Study, Volume II Aircraft Alerting System Design Guidelines," via CS 25 Large Aircraft Amendment 4 (www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/g/rg_certspecs.php). AMC Appendices, AMC 25.1323 Alerting Systems (about page 545).