PDA

View Full Version : Modem hang ups?...maybe

Bear Cub
6th Jul 2000, 06:40
Have a Pentium III, 750MHz.

When I trawl the Net or send e-mail etc, it normally goes like crazy...zing...occassionally it seems to "lock up" and not do anything for - maybe - two to three minutes...then zing again.

The little "hour glass" shows me the machine is 'thinking about it' but it quite often has these little tea breaks.

I wondered if zone alarm was bugging it, so turned it off for a while...still does it.

Any thoughts?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

addinfurnightem
6th Jul 2000, 23:30
I get that too, I blame it on the ISP getting overloaded, could be wrong.

Bear Cub
7th Jul 2000, 01:24
Ah...but, in the spare room, I have an older AMD 200MHz equipped machine with only half the memory and it never hangs up - even on the same server.

It is slower when they are both operating - but it NEVER hangs up.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

chips_with_everything
16th Jul 2000, 14:15
Consider whether the operating system has something to do with it, especially if it happens to have come from Bill's evil empire.
Task scheduling can be quirky to say the least- most of your CPU can go to something you don't care about that's in a looping or saving frenzy.

Also look at what's running on the new machine. If you can find something running that you don't need while you surf- kill it. If the hourglass problems goes away... you have found the troublemaker.