PDA

View Full Version : Emirates A380

BHX86
28th Jul 2008, 11:59
Emirates Airline have officially been handed over their first Airbus A380

PICTURES & VIDEO Emirates takes delivery of its first A380, all set for inaugural (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/07/28/226080/pictures.html)

ARINC
28th Jul 2008, 13:13
Still sitting on the Pan as of 14:00z delivery later this week..

jacek6
28th Jul 2008, 14:19
http://www.businesstraveller.com/files/News-images/Emirates/A380-launch/IMG_1440.jpg
http://www.businesstraveller.com/files/News-images/Emirates/A380-launch/IMG_1453.jpg
http://www.businesstraveller.com/files/News-images/Emirates/A380-launch/IMG_1457.jpg
http://www.businesstraveller.com/files/News-images/Emirates/A380-launch/IMG_1445.jpg

jacek6
28th Jul 2008, 14:45
J/C 1-2-1
What is extraordinary about this new arrangement is that the seats have a different pitch depending on whether you choose an inner seat or an outer one. The stats are as follows: seat pitch is 39 and 48 inches, which extends to form 70 to 79-inch lie-flat beds. What that means is that if you go for an outside seat, you get more legroom both for sitting and sleeping, while the inside seats have less.

gulf_slf
28th Jul 2008, 15:32
With the introduction of the 1st Class showers on the AB380, anybody got an idea of how much water the a/c will carry ? What will be the overall weight of said water? Approximately how showers will it provide to pax at an estimated 5 mins duration each ?

It will be interesting to note if the weight of the water will equal the amount of paper,e.g.magazines etc that EK said that they were removing from each of the seat pockets to save weight and thus fuel......

If our privileged few 1st Class pax decide not to take showers on the AB 380, on say a DXB - JFK sector and stay 'grubby' like the rest of us, what sort of fuel will the aircraft consume to carry the 'dead-weight' of the water?

a345xxx
28th Jul 2008, 15:36
Very nice cabin i wonder if Qantas will take note..:)

Taildragger67
28th Jul 2008, 15:42
Q: If our privileged few 1st Class pax decide not to take showers on the AB 380, on say a DXB - JFK sector and stay 'grubby' like the rest of us, what sort of fuel will the aircraft consume to carry the 'dead-weight' of the water?

A: Lots.

But mate I'll make sure I get my money's worth on the 412 next Feb! :ok: 14 hours and there'll be FAR too much to play with to get a wink of sleep!

Emirates A380 website (http://www.emirates.com/english/destinations_offers/special_offers/emirates_a380/emirates_a380_the_future_has_arrived.aspx)

spannersatcx
28th Jul 2008, 16:40
With the empty weight of early A380s being almost 5t heavier than planned, Emirates has been closely monitoring the weight of its first aircraft.

We've weighed it four times, and the last time it came in 1t lighter than before," says Clark. He explains that the "reduction" was "all to do with the way the fluids such as potable water were calculated"

I guess it depends how you weigh water, obviously Airbus have a weigh around this to reduce the overweight a/c.:eek:

gulf_slf
28th Jul 2008, 16:42
Ahhh ...spoken like a true Tim Clark devotee!! Happy Landings !

PAXboy
28th Jul 2008, 16:45
I would only shower if the water was guaranteed as being GULF water, drawn by hand from the Gulf and filtered before the a/c departs by the Captain's personal handmaiden.

Right - off to JB we go. :D

LCYslicker
28th Jul 2008, 20:52
Well, it's certainly filtered - as we saw on the Boeing BBJ, it gets filtered, used as shower water, filtered, used as shower water, filtered, used as shower water, you get the drift? I'd have your shower as soon as the seat-belt light goes off!

cottonfoo
28th Jul 2008, 22:17
jacek6, does that also apply to bulkhead A/K seats, do you know?

Badgeman
28th Jul 2008, 22:30
Look at that super high pitch up landing attitude in the article. It's like he's putting down a C172. Full stall.

mingocr83
29th Jul 2008, 04:26
I've heard for the first question.... that the A380 will carry extra 500Kg of water for the showers.......

Also.. the pax have to make the reservation to use the showers. Pax can be in the shower for 20 minutes... 5-10 minutes of water usage... A lightning system will indicate the stage of water usage for each pax that uses the shower. Green-Amber-Red. So if the pax is taking a shower and the amber light comes up... you'd better hurry up pal... or you will end soaked in shampoo!

White Knight
29th Jul 2008, 12:07
Badgeman - it's pitch attitude is like that because it's TAKING OFF.... Where do they get these people from?????

Code 100
29th Jul 2008, 13:38
What happens to the dirty 'used' shower water - does it get drained into the sewage tanks or just let out into the atmosphere?

If it stays on board, the weight of it will hardly change!

Somebody in the know regarding this level of detail please provide an answer - I don't think I can contain my excitement awaiting the response!

Taildragger67
29th Jul 2008, 14:56
I don't think I can contain my excitement awaiting the response!

Son, there's a whole world out there. I think you need to get out and take a look at it. You're getting excited over shower water.

Jet II
29th Jul 2008, 16:27
What happens when you've just lathered up and the captain switches on the seatbelt sign? - somehow I've a vision of all these First Class punters rushing back to their seats with a towel wrappped around their loins.....

Code 100
29th Jul 2008, 17:22
TAILDRAGGER67

Have you ever heard of sarcasm?

I did not expect a shower of answers.

Anyway, this afternoon I was watching daytime cooking programmes - now that is sad!

blaggerman
29th Jul 2008, 18:46
Beware! A & K ONLYDon't E and F get that same space? Because of the staggered layout and the desire to provide direct aisle access to all in an 8-abreast layout it appears that the "aisle" seats (BDGJ) in most rows sacrifice space to provide direct aisle access to the "non-aisle" seats (AEFK).

sanjosebaz
30th Jul 2008, 05:05
@mingocr83A lightning system will indicate the stage of water usage Yes, lightning would certainly make you want to get the soap off fast! :) I believe they opted for lighting instead.

I heard the same 500kg figure for the water carried. That's only enough for the 14 1st class pax to shower once. They initially looked into shower availability for all 90 upper deck pax, but realised that they would need to filter and recycle the effluent to achieve that and decided against it!

Taildragger67
30th Jul 2008, 10:43
Code 100,

Sorry old man, I should've recognised the sarcasm... It'd been a long day.

No, cooking shows are ok; if the choice is Nigella, Oprah or Phil & Kirsty (such as gets presented to me by The Boss when all I want to watch is 'Sinking a Carrier' or 'Scrapping a 747' or 'SAS Down Under'), I go for the one with the biggets t!ts... :}

What will make me laugh is when the first reports come out of some poor (though not monetarily) punter having to hot-foot it back to 1A all dripping wet with shampoo when some particularly vicious clear-air turb hits... :eek:

Code 100
30th Jul 2008, 11:23
Taildragger67

No offence taken.

If clear air turb hits, it will only be like being in the spin cycle of a washing machine. Pax should come out even cleaner!

Anyway, must go now, a programme on international knitting styles may be about to start.

Have a good day.

mingocr83
2nd Aug 2008, 03:08
Indeed you are right. I meant with the lightning... the shower has an LED close to the handle or button to activate the shower.

About the 90 pax in Business, here is more info
Emirates plan for recycled A380 shower water scuppered by regulators (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/08/01/226345/emirates-plan-for-recycled-a380-shower-water-scuppered-by.html)

Regards

HoHum
2nd Aug 2008, 14:26
Hmm.... looks like they took a glimpse at EY's business class..... and they have had that for a few years now...:rolleyes:

sanjosebaz
2nd Aug 2008, 16:07
Now seen the shower first hand. The room is very large (probably 3 times the size of a normal toilet). Has toilet, oversized washbasin, floor to ceiling mirrors and of course the shower.

The shower cubicle has handles and a seat, in case a bit of CAT occurs while showering. Also has a crew call button and the 'get back to your seat' light. The oxy mask drop hatch is just outside the shower door.

The shower is controlled by a single push button (and a standard temperature control), so the flow can be paused whilst you soap up. This makes the 5 minutes very generous in fact. The lights are not a simple 'traffic light'... each zone is subdivided into 4 or five sections, so there is no excuse to have soap still on hair/body when the time runs out.

Very impressive - pity it's only available for 1st class pax. I was told by the crew that they take advice from the captain re expected turbulance and they will not allow shower use in that case. Both showers have a 30 minute 'appointment' slot, which needs to be booked via the purser.

By the way, the '90' figure quoted above is for the entire upper deck... 14 in first class and 76 in business class. There are (in this configuration) 399 economy pax downstairs.

Emirates will eventually run two other configs - a medium haul (also 3 class) with no crew rest area, giving room for more economy pax, and a short haul 2 class (no first class) for travel (say) from Dubai to Riyadh; where Emirates are constrained by number of slots, but can easily fill 600+ seats for that routing. Strange that they want to use such a huge beast for a 1hr flight, but they have done the maths on the economy.

surely not
3rd Aug 2008, 14:09
It has a crew call button in the shower cubicle!!!

Hmmm they have some very nice ladies working for Emirates.............I might just be tempted to call for some assistance :E:E:E

sanjosebaz
4th Aug 2008, 07:04
Don't E and F get that same space? Because of the staggered layout and the desire to provide direct aisle access to all in an 8-abreast layout it appears that the "aisle" seats (BDGJ) in most rows sacrifice space to provide direct aisle access to the "non-aisle" seats (AEFK).The 'pitch' is a misleading number. All the business 'modules' are the same size, but some are further apart. So there is no sacrificed space, as far as the pax are concerned, just extra space between the aisle seats to allow access to the non-aisle pax. Also (unlike BA, etc.) all the business lie-flat seats face forward, and all have direct aisle access.

alexmcfire
4th Aug 2008, 07:54
I wonder if the used water could be used to fight an onboard fire?
Or is it only foam fireextinguisher onboard?
Getting rid of paper could be a good thing when it comes to fire safety?

Qstar
14th Aug 2008, 00:35
Hey All,
Your A380 looks fantastic (QF needs to look at this, you should see ours :eek:)
So can you tell me are crews dedicated on A380?
Is the Pay different to EK operations?
How many crew will it have?

Cheers

Oceanic
14th Aug 2008, 04:11
The EK380 in current config has 489 seats, with 76 in buiness and 14 first class. The crew are dedicated to that aircraft, with 24 cabin crew, and normal complement of flight deck (ie augmented for long range ops). The pay is no different in EK irrespective of the aircraft type.

There is a sign outside the shower doors saying no more than two people at at time permitted in the shower:O