PDA

View Full Version : laptop probs

boxmover
5th Jul 2000, 16:09
I have been given a laptop with a u/s a drive. The c drive is blank so it just boots to the c: prompt.

1. Is there any way to remote control the laptop and load it via a port?

2. Whats the chance I will be able to put the hard drive in another laptop and loade it that way?

Thanks in advance for any help

pilot-lite
5th Jul 2000, 21:45
1. No

2. Yes, provided the laptop has a CD drive, or the other laptop you use to load Windows is identical.

A new A: drive shouldn't cost more than thirty quid, and is worth it if you intend to use the PC on a regular basis.

I've performed this operation myself, so if you run into trouble, drop me a line.

pilot-lite

Tinstaafl
8th Jul 2000, 04:50
If it boots to a C:\> prompt then at least DOS is running. In which case it is possible to download a file transfer program via laplink type serial cable. Finding the software can be the awkward bit.

TranXit is one that I have however I think it needs at least Win3.1. Not sure if it will operate DOS only. Although on second thoughts, it uses DOS alone to take control of the serial port & download itself onto the target PC.

Alternatively you could get a book with the DOS commands to do the downloads manually. You would still need the serial cable though.

Mice
8th Jul 2000, 13:29
Sorry Pilot-Lite

1. Yes (if you have enough time that is) and the right software.

2. the other laptop does not need to be identical, but that does make it easier. When the HD is put back into the original machine, Win will reload some drivers to suit the new hardware, so for this excercise to work well, you want to copy the WIN98 directory of the CD to the HD in question, and setup windows from there.

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

pilot-lite
8th Jul 2000, 18:17
1. How would one go about installing laplink or similar without an a: drive?

2. You're right, copying the windows .CAB files onto the HD will work, I've done it myself!

pilot-lite

Startup
10th Jul 2000, 12:26
Apparently you can also get Windows 98 on PCMCIA cards.

400 Hertz
12th Jul 2000, 12:52
P-L:
The way you install Laplink is by connecting the serial ports together with a Laplink cable. This cable has two plugs at each end, i.e. a 9 pin and a 25 pin at both ends.

You load up the software and have it running on the 'good' PC then turn on the other PC and you type in a command at the DOS prompt. This tells the remote PC to load the linking software through it's COM port.

Once you have installed the Laplink software over the COM port it is best to change over to a Parallel link cable between the two PC's as transferring the CAB files for 98 etc takes a long time over the serial port.

You may find that the transfer over the Parallel port will be no good. Laptops are normally configured differently and some use the LPT for other stuff.

Good Luck!

------------------
400 Hertz but DC is easy