PDA

View Full Version : RAF 90th Anniversary Chronograph

Pontius Navigator
27th Jul 2008, 20:39
Anybody spot the advert inside the cover of the Daily Telegraph TV & Radio magazine yesterday?

Bargain. Official RAF 90th Anniversary Chronograph. Only 4999 limited edition at only £124.95. Outer bezel is marked with 360 degrees but the bezel is fixed.

The advert is a master piece of advertising poof. The 'iconic golden eagle wings' 'exudes precision, style and sophistication'

The Royal Air Force logo on the back uses the wrong font.:ok:

Enthusiastic demand is expected.

Seldomfitforpurpose
27th Jul 2008, 21:32
"Enthusiastic demand is expected."

I would rather slam me knob in the door :rolleyes:

brit bus driver
27th Jul 2008, 22:55
Here it is.....RAF 90th Anniversary Men's Chronograph - RAF 90th Anniversary Men's Chronograph - The Bradford Group UK - Online Shop (http://www.bradford.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p1201_RAF-90th-Anniversary-Men-s-Chronograph.html)

Obviously aimed at the elite as you can pay in five monthly installments of £24.99 - a bargain if 125 notes is a little steep..:E

And since when was the RAF's motto (as opposed to some advertising tag line) 'Rise above the rest'?

Occasional Aviator
28th Jul 2008, 02:49
I think the target market for this is nicely summed up in the 'people who bought this also bought...' part of the web page.

Pontius Navigator
28th Jul 2008, 06:18
I think the target market for this is nicely summed up in the 'people who bought this also bought...' part of the web page.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Well that means only 4995 left.

Wonder who got the 5000th? CDS? CAS? Head of PR?

VinRouge
28th Jul 2008, 06:28
Not too sure about the watch,

Might get one of these though:

http://www.bradford.co.uk/images/product_images/info_images/01_03787_001MAIN.jpg

8 inches tall, thats what I told the missus, she said I was lying!

StopStart
28th Jul 2008, 08:33
To paraphrase Viz...

"......shown better than actual quality...."

:hmm:

Winco
28th Jul 2008, 09:08
Just another exemplary display or poor taste, no judgement and yet another PR disaster for the RAF.
It ranks alongside the clothing fiasco.
When will someone like CAS get a grip and stop this sort of thing happening to the RAF? Oh $hit, I forgot, thats Torpey isn't it??
Hmmm, says it all really.

INT ZKJ
28th Jul 2008, 09:14
So for all those poor, confused souls out there who need a Breitling bedecked with an "N" brevet to remind them of their job they can now get another watch to remind them which service they are in!!

Should go well with their Typhoon trainers though or their latest natty
ensemble from the "RAF Collection"

Welcome to RAF Collection (http://www.rafcollection.com/ecart/control/welcome)

Gainesy
28th Jul 2008, 09:36
[QUOTE]thats Torpey isn't it??
[QUOTE]

Looks more like John Wayne to me...

pikeyeng
28th Jul 2008, 11:17
£125 for a wax pencil?? :rolleyes:

Brain Potter
28th Jul 2008, 11:52
A worthy addition to the most discerning plebeians collexion de tat that would surely rank alongside that other timeless classic:

The Elvis Presley Dambusters Dinner Plate Clock of Tutankhamun

both available from The Foxxe and Glaciere Mint, Suppositories Way, Hendon.

BEagle
28th Jul 2008, 12:50
Looks more like John Wayne to me...

"The hell it is, little sister!!"

Torpy might only be 8" tall (short), but 'The Duke' wasn't.

No doubt there's a special 'Diana' version of this chrono-jobber for 1f squadron 'bona mates' only, doof-doof, nozzles, MEXE, jet....blah?

Wader2
28th Jul 2008, 13:15
Ok, who bought the Moonlit Splendour Dolphin Figurine too? It has just been added to the list of 'also boughts.'

exscribbler
28th Jul 2008, 15:10
This stuff looks tailor-made for any fighter pilot wishing to impress his superiors... :E

B Fraser
28th Jul 2008, 15:29
Blimey, it makes the Franklin Mint look upmarket.

Does anyone have a link to the Viz advert for a reproduction set of the Queen Mum's choppers ? :}

ProfessionalStudent
28th Jul 2008, 15:57
:yuk: Utterly, utterly useless... :yuk:

Pontius Navigator
28th Jul 2008, 16:22
Its on eBay:

All matching items for sale. (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=RAF+90th+Anniversary+Men%27s+Chronograph)

Save yourself £2.94

nacluv
28th Jul 2008, 16:30
Hang on a minute. No matching commemorative plate? Someone in 'PR' has missed an opportunity...

Fg Off Max Stout
28th Jul 2008, 19:39
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/3189/vizbourbonhengescanmarcgb0.jpg

exscribbler
28th Jul 2008, 21:53
Thank G*d the RN don't push such tat. I checked the RNHF website and found they sell a Flying Bear called Pontius. Hmm.

I heard that Mickey Mouse has a Glenn Torpy watch; is there any truth in this? :E

Oggin Aviator
29th Jul 2008, 01:07
or for those about to leave the Service .........

http://www.gagreport.com/Funny_Pictures/Spoof%20Ad%20Album/images/consulting_jpg.jpg

Wholigan
29th Jul 2008, 06:06
This stuff looks tailor-made for any fighter pilot wishing to impress his superiors...A fighter pilot does not HAVE any superiors!!!!

:E:E

Gainesy
29th Jul 2008, 09:39
Did you ask Rads if you could post that Wholi?:E

blue monday
29th Jul 2008, 10:04
No doubt in 6 Months time bid up TV (or who ever it was) will have another 'RAF Special' to get rid of the watches at knock down prices

stickmonkeytamer
29th Jul 2008, 10:42
Here's one for you... I've done it once and I think I got away with it...

Draw a watch on your wrist with the time of your hack prior to your brief. Then draw a second hand at 10 seconds past.

When the briefer calls hack, remember and check it. Someone will notice and ask what you are up to. Tell them it is your new watch and ask to see theirs. Ensure that you put your wrist beside their watch.

If theirs is at 10 seconds past by this point, whip your wrist away at that point and smile smugly. If not, express surprise that it has just stopped, blaming your new cheap watch..

Remember Flt Safety- do remember to hack your real watch, especially if doing timed crossover attacks!

Bored? Me? Never!

SMT

Postman Plod
29th Jul 2008, 10:48
I kid you not, the official RAF carriage clock was in the TV paper the other week. RAF roundal face, with a picture by the guy who does the yearbooks in the centre. The little balls were replaced with different aircraft. Tat doesn't cover it :yuk:

and please don't joke about the official RAF commemorative plate - I've seen that in the paper too :}

I'll see if I can find piccies....

Wader2
29th Jul 2008, 10:59
Mugs for Mugs:

Westminster Collection - The Royal Air Force 90th Anniversary Fine Bone China Commemorative Mug Set featuring the legendary Spitfire (http://www.westminstercollection.com/pc_K399.htm)

and more

Categories --- Aces High Collectables Diecast Model Aircraft Collectables (http://www.aceshighcollectables.com/prodtype.asp)

Mind you, I got the anniversary medal. They sent out one to each station as an example although the freebie was cheaper than this price of £8.50 or £14.99.

Epimetheus
29th Jul 2008, 12:00
The RAF Collection.

It would be interesting to see those Dragon's Den essentials of Turnover and Profit for this fashionable clothing range.

TiffyFGR4
29th Jul 2008, 19:31
Hello there, I'm new here, so, hello & everything...

I was going to order this watch, lovely looking thing it is, I like the idea of having the 'Tiffy' (Typhoon) on the back & the attention to detail on the face, very nice indeed....But I went out & bought a 'Digitech whammy guitar pedal' instead.......Ah well.......Another day I guess.

And also, its nice that they have their motto, 'Rise Above The Rest' on the back. They haven't used that for some time now. I think they should start using it again, for TV adverts etc.

MrBernoulli
29th Jul 2008, 21:45
"Rise above the festering swamp" perhaps? How about "Stick your head above the parapet"? :yuk:

buoy15
30th Jul 2008, 18:31
INT ZKJ

Did you mean natty or tatty or both?

exscribbler
30th Jul 2008, 21:12
I agree, but only if they fly off carriers... :E :E :E

seafuryfan
31st Jul 2008, 07:55
Re. The Spitfire Mug (at £48).

How come when an aircraft is pictured returning from a sortie in WWII it's always flying over a field where wheat is being gathered, and a bloke on a bicycle is always cycling past? Were there not any fallow fields? Did no no one walk? Were there not any cars?

Gainesy
31st Jul 2008, 08:45
Suppose they could do a Wokka mug with stampeding horses.:E

Hmm, what would be in the background for different aircraft types?