View Full Version : Flash 5.0

Groundgripper
11th Aug 2001, 14:58
Every time I open a thread or go to another forum (or even start a new thread), I get a window headed 'Security Warning' asking me if I want to download and run Flash 5.0, from Macromedia. It only occurs on PPRuNe.

The continual appearance of this message is getting me annoyed! Does anyone know if I can stop it (apart, that is, from downloading the damned thing)?

henry crun
12th Aug 2001, 01:46
Groundgripper: I had the same problem and wrote to macromedia expressing my annoyance.
The reply was incomprehensible !
The easiest way to get rid of it is just download the latest version of Flash.

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: henry crun ]

Evo7
12th Aug 2001, 11:18
Yeah, I relented and finally downloaded flash 5.0 too. Only happened on IE on my wife's Windows machine at home. At work, I'm running Netscape 4.74 on a Sun Ultrasparc and it never bothered to ask for flash to be installed (it isn't, btw). Not sure why.

Think it may have been the VW Sharan ad?

Groundgripper
12th Aug 2001, 14:47
Thanks for the replies, folks. Looks like I might have to down load the damned thing. I thought my firewall should have prevented it, though.
It's only started appearing since I had the hard disk re-formatted and had to re-load everything. Maybe the Firewall didn't re-load properly. I think I'll try to re-load that first - see if that helps.

Regards.

OzmateBugsmasher
12th Aug 2001, 16:12
Flash is a plug-in that is used to display multimedia content, like some animated menu systems or small movies or games.

It's harmless, free and is pretty much required for 'normal' internet browsing now.

ombs

PaperTiger
12th Aug 2001, 21:10
pretty much required for 'normal' internet browsing now

Depends on one's definition of normal, of course :)
At home I run an old clunker (W95 IE4 28k and I'm too embarrassed to say the Mhz), so I have all the 'bells and whistles' options turned off. I even set it to prompt for JavaScript. Now I don't go to game or music sites, but I find very few others where the lack of Flash or similar cr@p is a hindrance. The good ones have 'skip intro' link anyway, although they do try to make that as small as possible.

I have a power machine on a T3 at work, but I've never noticed Flash on PPruNe (not that I ever access it at work of course !).

Groundgripper
13th Aug 2001, 22:50
ombs, I'm sure it's harmless and clean but I just don't like junk mail! In fact this is worse than junk mail, at least with mail they're not waiting outside the door to shove another envelope through the letterbox as soon as you've put the previous one in the waste basket!

Paper Tiger, if your machine is faster than 200MHz you have no reason to be embarrassed, I'm not! It's good enough for what I use it for. Win 95? see the thread on that, I'm not going to change up for this machine, it's faster than me with a paintbrush.

By the way, the firewall didn't stop it.

Ah well, never mind.

Cornish Jack
16th Aug 2001, 11:03
Whoopeee!! :D
Thank you Danny (or whoever it was) - for the first time for a couple of weeks THERE IS NO FLASH 5 POP-UP. I'm hoping that this is permanent but even a short respite is good news. :)

v1rotate
16th Aug 2001, 12:04
I think the Flash pop up may be for the ad banners that are on the top of the PPRuNe pages. Possibly a new version of flash that has been developed and IE has detected your old version. :confused:

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/laptop.gif

Cornish Jack
16th Aug 2001, 13:34
Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!
Spoke too soon. The "$%&£@* thing is back again. Have to put up with it I suppose - one thing is for certain sure - I shall NEVER part with a penny piece for ANY Macromedia product irrespective of its usefulness. Any company which uses that sort of 'swamp' tactics to push its products goes onto my personal hate list. :mad:

PPRuNe Towers
17th Aug 2001, 08:23
No Flash on anything we originate at the Towers Jack. Apart from anything else we're too mean to pay for the software.

It's down to the ad banners that appear. Halfway house is to take the flaming thing but switch off animations :D They hate that......

Rob

Cornish Jack
17th Aug 2001, 17:19
Many thanks Towers
Have succumbed and accepted the $£"&^%*?@ thing but it appears that I am being prevented from disabling animations. I've tried deselecting the option for it in advanced preferences and the 'tick' just resolutely remains. Can't get too excited about it one way or the other but my hate list definitely starts at the letter M. :mad: