PDA

View Full Version : self study part66 question

airplanesey
27th Jul 2008, 10:39
Ok, il try not to be annoying about this but I just need a few things cleared up in my mind, I have about a million questions that i need answered about chasing a career as an aircraft engineer and this place seems to be the only place with answers...

I can study part66 at home, part time. However, this needs to be done with experience on aircraft I understand.

As I have no previous qualification or experience in this, I believe il find it hard to find paid work in a hangar, so my plan is to search for work unpaid a couple of days a week. my questions are as follows..

1).Will it still count towards my B1 licence even though its unpaid?

2).Will I struggle to find an unpaid position?

Thanks in advance.

Mr.Brown
27th Jul 2008, 15:18
1).Will it still count towards my B1 licence even though its unpaid?

AMC 66.A.10 states that the maintenance experience must be written up in a manner that the reader has a reasonable understanding of where, when and what maintenance constitutes the experience.

It does not matter if your paid or not. You'd have to record every job individually and a log book is ideal for this ( eg. Association of Licensed Aircraft Engineers (ALAE) - ALAE log book information (http://www.alae.org/index.php?p=57&pp=0&title=ALAE_log_book) ) however if you do manage to get work experience they will probably have their own experience sheets for approvals etc and they would suffice and save you money.

2).Will I struggle to find an unpaid position?

The way the industry is going free labour might be appreciated. Try sending a letter and C.V to some of the companies who do heavy Maint. Some others on here might be able to help or know of a better way...

Best of luck

NutLoose
27th Jul 2008, 21:02
Also if you haven't, read the booklet I linked to in this thread :)

http://www.pprune.org/forums/engineers-technicians/336333-how-become-licenced.html

airplanesey
27th Jul 2008, 21:38
Thank you for taking time to read and reply to my post. Your opinions are valued and very helpful.

If anyone wants to PM me, or reply further to this thread please do so.

Thanks.

Piper19
4th Aug 2008, 22:40
ok, I already have my part66 license, but I did what you are mentioning to get an extra type rating.
I learnt the aircraft, took the theoretical exams and passed. After that I worked unpaid to get on the job training. Got all ATA chapters covered and signed by the company's quality dept. Et voila, new type rating added. Similar way to get your initial part66 license.
But bear in mind: a part66 is not valid without type rating. So what I would do in your case:
1/ pass theoretical exams for B1
2/ go to a part145 company and begin working as unlicensed engineer
3/ after a few weeks of experience on type, you go to the CAA and ask your A license.
4/ do your theoretical type rating course and experience at the company, and 2 years after getting the A license I believe you can demand your B1 with that valid aircraft type.

Also good to mention that learning in a part147 and doing experience via a part147 is the shortest way.

You'll not struggle to find an unpaid position, you'll not even struggle to find a paid one. But for that last option, I'm sure there will be other guarantees needed from you (e.g. pay them back if not succeeded and sign to stay with the company the next 3 years was in my case)

kluge
6th Aug 2008, 06:40
Very interesting reading together with other similar threads.

A couple of questions if I may for guidance or pointers in the right direction;

1. What are the certification requirements for aircraft maintenance (non turbine) in New Zealand ?

2. Is it possible to undertake remote study courses (from overseas) to attain certification in NZ ?

3. Can UK CAA certifications (which is seems can be studied remotely) be transferred to NZ ? (I live in Hong Kong).

Apologies if this is thread drift.

The context of these questions regards a future move to NZ and "career change" - I'm 42yo and a PPL. This is work that I am interested in doing, not necessarily for primary income (although some income from this would be nice) but to contribute to an existing light aircraft maintenance/restoration business doing something I enjoy. I would like to remote study the theory and undertake the examinations while I am currently overseas.

Would appreciate your advice please. Thank you.

K