PDA

View Full Version : Sai Kung/Clear water bay transport

Oasis
27th Jul 2008, 01:40
I am considering moving to the Sai Kung or clearwater bay area, but was always a little put-off by the distance from the airport, having a "regional" style roster.
Maybe someone who lives there can shed some light on the best way to get back-and-forth, how do most people manage this?
I realize I'll need to get a car, but if i drive to work and leave the car there and the significant other stays home, there's no transport for her then.
Do some people get a taxi perhaps?
How is the bus situation now, does it still take 1:30 hr to get there to the airport?

Thanks in advance,

Oasis.

Alistair
27th Jul 2008, 02:09
You have answered your own questions.

Buy 2 cars, one a smaller capacity to reduce rego cost. Plenty of cheap ones around.

Public transport is an option, just depends on how long you are prepared to take to get there and also back. 1:30 to 2:00 hrs against 45 min in the car.

Parking at an Airport Express (eg Tsing Yi or TST) station will reduce the travel cost (gas is expensive!) and takes between 1 to 1:15.

It is all a balancing act, your time vs cost and what you value most will affect how you go about it

capt787
27th Jul 2008, 02:27
or park at the airport P2 and pay $1500 per month

Oasis
27th Jul 2008, 03:55
Thanks for all the info so far, how much would a cab run me to the airport or kowloon station for on those days I have to leave the car at home?

envoy
27th Jul 2008, 07:10
The metered fare will cost you HKD350-400, but if you find a taxi club you can bring it down to HKD220-250 or so. I allow an hour from SKG township to the airport, which seems to be enough to allow for worse-than-normal traffic enroute.

broadband circuit
27th Jul 2008, 10:31
Judging by the handle ("Oasis") can I assume although you are now on a regional type roster, until recently you were on a long haul type roster?

LapSap
27th Jul 2008, 12:36
Several ATC guys/girls live(d) out that way and normally drive to Tsing Yi then get the AEL the rest of the way. Presumably you have the airport staff Octopus that gives you a reduced rate.

Oasis
28th Jul 2008, 23:56
Thanks for all the replies, got something to work on now.

BTW my tag has nothing to do with the now defunct airline, rather that crappy band from the uk, I registered it in 2000...