PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow college of nautical studies?

ali1986
27th Jul 2008, 01:29
Does anyone know what it is like for ATPL theory?

Glasgow College of Nautical Studies (http://www.glasgow-nautical.ac.uk/index.asp)

9v-SKA
27th Jul 2008, 02:00
eh? I think you are looking at the wrong site mate. Its a nautical college not an Aeronautical College. :)

ali1986
27th Jul 2008, 02:31
they do ATPL's thereso im led to believe

paco
27th Jul 2008, 04:34
I beleive they stopped doing them some time ago

Phil

MIKECR
27th Jul 2008, 08:02
They ran ATPL courses for nearly 8 years. They closed up the aviation department earlier this year however.

parkfell
27th Jul 2008, 14:05
Was this due to lack of trade....aka credit crunch ??

preduk
27th Jul 2008, 14:16
Nothing to do with the credit crunch, they just weren't getting enough business for the college to continue the course. It was ashame, especially with Tayside just having their MCC course approved by the CAA could have been a good partnership.

Callsign Kilo
28th Jul 2008, 09:43
A good partnership..hmmmm??? :hmm: Don't think it would have done anything for Tayside's reputation. The Aviation Dept at GCNS took too much for granted in my opinion knowing that it was the only residential ATPL provider in the North as a whole. Their material was miles behind the likes of BGS, Oxford et al. A couple of good lecturers there, however I spent a lot of time banging my head on the table and becoming very frustrated indeed by what was happening (as did the majority of people on my course). I am not suprised it went to the wall, however sad that may be for those that lost their jobs.

daria-ox
28th Jul 2008, 10:11
They don't do ATPL's anymore.
I'm at Tayside Aviation and I was going to start ATPL exams at the beginning of January. Shame they don't do it anymore. Now I'll have to find another school which does ATPL. :mad:

smith
28th Jul 2008, 11:03
Heard a rumour that a JAA ATPL groundschool will be starting at Tayflite in Perth.

preduk
28th Jul 2008, 14:02
Callsign Kilo,

I know what your saying. However, if they had been 'good' it would have made life so much easier for us Scots. I could have done all of my training in Scotland which would have been good.

I would like to see one of the flight schools pick it up, however with the competition from Bristol (who are very good) it would be hard.

skyslimit
28th Jul 2008, 15:07
I also looked at Glasgow Nautical for the ATPL, as it's right on my doorstep. I nearly signed up in fact. However, having then heard less than good things, I'm glad held off and continued looking around.

I'm still looking to do my ATPL, but unless something happens up here, it looks like Bristol will get my money. They come very well recommended everyone I talk to, and that's rare in this business!

Halfwayback
28th Jul 2008, 15:29
I think because we have answered the original question in some detail that this thread will close before it it has the opportunity for degeneration into a 'this is better than that' melee.

Thanks everyone for the comments

HWB