PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Guys and Gals I need your help......

NutLoose
26th Jul 2008, 19:21
Ok strange as it may seem someone I talk to online to someone in the USA has a son is out in parts warmer than the UK serving in the US Marines, two of his comrades also serving there recieve no post or items from home, I have over the last month or so have been buying items of use to rectify this and to send out to them, I have the addresses etc but I was wondering will it be possible to send them the Royal Mail route as a lot of UK folks do to our Military ? or will I have to foot the postage, which incidentally I am willing to do... I know US troops families get boxes provided to send out items to their families, but I am in the UK ... SO

any pointers would be gratefully recieved as to how and if I can use the UK route for these or do I just need to cough up, which as said I am willing to do, it just effects the quantities I can send.

And finally, Thanks for your Time........

Green Flash
26th Jul 2008, 19:37
If they have got a BFPO then you are in, if not, and I rather suspect they don't, then you'll have to pay. There is a list somewhere of all the BFPO's who you can send free forces parcels (up to a 1kg, I think?). I'm surprised that the US don't have a similer system.

Green Flash
26th Jul 2008, 19:40
A thought; is there a Brit unit nearby you could send them to and ask them to pass it on to the leathernecks?

dallas
26th Jul 2008, 19:51
If they have got a BFPO then you are in, if not, and I rather suspect they don't, then you'll have to pay. There is a list somewhere of all the BFPO's who you can send free forces parcels (up to a 1kg, I think?). I'm surprised that the US don't have a similer system.

Unless there's a nearby theatre BFPO, who you'd undoubtedly have to try and contact to tip-off about your scheme, I can only think of 2 other options. Firstly, if you live near a US base in the UK you might be able to use their APO system, otherwise I think you can mail to a central US APO address in mainland USA, which will eventually see your parcel enter the military postal system. With the latter plan I wouldn't include items with a shelf life of less than 6 months.

Union Jack
26th Jul 2008, 20:39
Nut

Very thoughtful - why not try contacting:

Defense Attaché Office
US Embassy
24 Grosvenor Square
London W1A 1AE

Phone:[44] (0) 20 7894-0745
Fax:[44] (0) 20 7499-7688
Email: [email protected] ([email protected])

Jack

NutLoose
26th Jul 2008, 21:29
Thanks guys that helps a lot, I will email the link tonight, they are at an FPO address which will be the US version of a BFPO but I will not post it on a public forum for obvious reasons.

I have been given a site link for them see
Care Package Content Suggestions for Deployed Marines: An Overview from MarineParents.com: A Place to Connect & Share(tm) (http://www.marineparents.com/deployment/cp-content.asp)

and whilst I could do a care package of their link, I decided to do a one myself from the UK as something a little different :)

Incidentally whilst looking there is someone trying to do similar packs on Ebay for our guys, I am not anything to do with him, but I found it searching for the odd items to send though, A plug seems fair to me so see

Items for Sale by squaddiebox (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/squaddiebox_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ)

Chris Kebab
26th Jul 2008, 21:40
I had reason to use the APO system a few years back. Two choices either get it friendly Yank to post in from within a US base in the UK (as suggested above) or simply mail it to APO (number), New York, USA. Certainly used to work. Might be cheaper than your current route. Try sending a postcard and see if it arrives.

seanbean
26th Jul 2008, 23:11
Hi NutLoose, You might try a post here on ARRSE (free to join); quite a few of our "cousins" drop by: British Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > General > > Multinational HQ (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewforum/f=36.html) Hope this helps.

NutLoose
4th Aug 2008, 11:10
Just like to say everyone, thank you for your help.......:ok:

I had to resort in the end to sending it Via the USA as suggested here.....
If it had been going to a BFPO it would have cost me £14.00 ish
As it was going to an AFO it cost me due to its weight of 10.5KG a staggering £95.00, But as it was going to a good cause I bit my lip, muttered some words and paid it, I could have got it for £75 but by the time it got there the oil would have dried up and we would no longer be in Iraq....... :ugh:

At least those guys are gonna get a nice suprise and that's what counts at the end of the day..... I even sent em a little Steak and Kidney Pudding each as a ermmmmmm treat, as it was suggested to me by one of their comrades parents to add a little touch of the UK.... I wonder what they will make of them LOL. they will be about the most expensive pudding I know by the time they get it.:p

So thanks all for your help.:D

talk_shy_tall_knight
4th Aug 2008, 13:45
Nice one mate.

How did you come about your username by the way?

NutLoose
4th Aug 2008, 13:49
I am an Licensed Aircraft Engineer and EX RAF one too, I always used to look at the "Jesus Nut" on the rotorheads of the Wessex when I was in the Mob and think, that's one nut I wouldn't like to see come loose..... So trying to think of a name for use on here I used that:)