PDA

View Full Version : New UAE Visa Rules

IXNAT
26th Jul 2008, 12:59
Does anyone have a handle on the new UAE visa rules, being put in place this week. Search of the Gulf News just makes it more confusing. Who needs the visas? Where does one obtain a visitor's visa, if needed? What if you're coming into the UAE to stay with friends for a couple of weeks?

Spoogie
26th Jul 2008, 13:23
where are you coming from? whats your nationality?

IXNAT
26th Jul 2008, 18:10
Coming from the States (US).

PositiveRate876
26th Jul 2008, 20:17
US Citizens (for the time being) can continue to get a Visa on Arrival. The previously announced AED100 visa fee has been put on hold until they figure out how to collect it (??? if anything, the government is very proficient in taking our cash, so not sure why the holdup).

The nationalities that do not get visa on arrival (most countries) are the ones really getting screwed by the new rules.

1. Need proof of health insurance. (Not sure how you're supposed to prove that or what to do if you don't have it

2. No more 'expedited visas' (issued in 3 days or less). So that means if you want to go for a weekend to Oman, then you will have to stay there for a week or two until you get another visa. A step back in evolution.

3. AED1000 deposit for all visas, refundalble when you leave. Not sure how you are going to get it back after you've left the country. The government, no doubt, hopes that some will 'forget' about their AED1000 left in their care to earn interest.

That's my interpretation of the new visa rules.
Subject to change without notice.

Syrian Aviator
27th Jul 2008, 13:06
Except that with the new rules, the passport holders from the 33 countries will only get 30 days on arrival instead of 60 days as was the case before, however; it is extendible for additional 30 days (costs you 620AED) or you drive to the border (oman crossing is the usual) and get another 30 days

PLTFORLIFE
28th Jul 2008, 04:48
Mullah Kintyre that was a very insensitive post, be human. You did not play a role in getting to choose what family,country or continent you were born into. I sure hope you change your views of the world.

Togalk
28th Jul 2008, 06:23
PLTFORLIFE, relax, and don't be so sensitive.

BladePilot
28th Jul 2008, 10:12
Dh1,000 deposit for issuing UAE visa could be waived for certain nationalities

By Samir Salam, Associate Editor
Published: July 27, 2008, 15:18

Abu Dhabi: Deposits for issuing visas could be waived for certain nationalities, said a top official on Sunday.
The Dh1,000 mandatory deposit for issuing visit, transit and some other types of visas could be waived for certain nationalities, said Brigadier Nasser Al Awadi Al Minhali, Acting Director-General of the Federal Naturalisation and Residency Department.
The criteria for waiving the deposit depends on adherence to the new rules and regulations by the visa-seeking nationalities; the less violation of the rules, the more the chance of a deposit waiver, said the official.
Brig Al Minhali predicted the new visa regulations which will take effect from tomorrow would uproot all visitors who overstay their welcome by December.
Concerning visit visas for friends, Brig Al Minhali said residents would not be allowed to bring in friends on visit visas.

Free entry unchanged
Only Emiratis will be allowed to sponsor friends on a visit visa, which is also conditional, said the official.
"Residents can apply for a visa for their spouse or blood relative. Expatriates will not be allowed to sponsor friends. And sponsoring other blood relatives will require the approval of an undersecretary of the Interior Ministry or their representative," he said.
Brig Al Minhali said a visit visa holder would be allowed to enter the UAE once within two months from the date of issue of the visa.
The UAE will not charge 34 nationalities for an entry visa and the free entry permit on arrival will remain unchanged, Brig Al Minhali said.
Citizens of the 34 countries including the UK, US, Australia, Japan and Brunei and Singapore, will also not be subject to the Dh1,000 deposit or the health insurance applicable to subjects of all other countries.
On how authorities will stop short trips to neighbouring countries to change visit visas commonly known as "visa runs", Brig Al Minhali said visitors wanting to apply for a new visit visa after the expiry of their visa, must go back to their home countries. But he did not speak of any time frame of how long they would have to stay abroad before they could apply for a new visa.
"The system will allow people to come back to the UAE soon but there must be a valid reason as each application will be studied thoroughly before a visa is issued. We will be tracking applicants and sponsors and based on their records, a visa may or may not be issued," he clarified.
People applying for any visa will have to pay a refundable deposit of Dh1,000 and be covered by health insurance.
Separate visas will be issued for various purposes such as medical treatment or studies.
"We will know why each person is coming here and the sponsor will be responsible for the visitor. Individual and corporate sponsors will be blacklisted if the system is misused. This will address the issue of illegal overstayers, a problem that is expected to disappear by December," Al Minhali said.
Misuse
Lieutenant Colonel Rashid Sultan Al Khadar, director of the legal department at the Ministry of Interior, said a visit visa may still be converted to a work visa, but residency departments may decide otherwise to prevent misuse of this facility, he said.

"Applicants may be asked to go back to their home country and wait for the work visa, which will be authorised by the Ministry of Labour," he said.
Changes: effective tomorrow

Residents can apply for a 30-day or 90-day visit visa for their spouse or blood relatives of 1st or 2nd degree only.
Expatriates will no longer be allowed to sponsor friends, and all visitors should have health insurance cover. A Dh1,000 refundable deposit is mandatory for all visas.
Medical treatment visas for 90 days and renewable once for a similar period can only be applied through licensed hospitals and clinics.
Education visas for 60 days and renewable twice for a similar period can only be applied for by a licensed educational institution.
Exhibition, festival and conference visas for 30 days, non-renewable, can only be applied for by the organisers.
Tourist visas for 30 days and renewable once for a similar period can only be applied for by a licensed hotel, a travel or a tourism agency.
Visit visas for 60 days, renewable twice for a similar period, can be obtained for domestic helpers who accompany citizens of GCC countries.
Residents in GCC countries and their domestic helpers can obtain a 30-day visit visa, renewable once for a similar period.

Proximity
1st Aug 2008, 11:49
I went to the UK once and it seemed pretty third world to me. I think the new regs should apply to Brits.

So expats remain second class residents. I guess it's a way of holding rents down, I don't need a bedroom for visitors.

Silverspoonaviator
1st Aug 2008, 14:34
Visa runs for the workers are the back bone for the local workers.

Is the UAE shooting itself in the foot, by limiting its workforce so much.

Kish Air, a major player in this business, is talking of closing its Dubai operations, due to a 60% drop in visa run clients.

ssa

jai6638
1st Aug 2008, 15:57
I think I read in 7 days that they changed their minds and have decided that expats can sponsor their friends as long as their monthly salary is above AED 10,000. All these rules are disgustingly unfair but I guess there's nothing one can do about it..

Mullah Kintyre that was a very insensitive post, be human. You did not play a role in getting to choose what family,country or continent you were born into. I sure hope you change your views of the world.

I believe he was being sarcastic and voicing the view of the local authorities.. :p

NG_Kaptain
1st Aug 2008, 16:38
I come from a "third world" country. We have over twenty of our nationals flying for Emirates and Etihad each, almost the same amount at Qatar, plus numerous oil field professionals in the region. I don't think our friends who wish to visit us are at risk to become illegal immigrants. It pi$$es me off that I have to jump through the hoops to get visas for any of my friends who I invite here to visit me.

Drink a Carib, or a Banks , or a Red Stripe on the beach and chill.:)

future1234
2nd Aug 2008, 10:24
hi there:

just wondering if any of the airlines hire pilots from asia?cos i am sure its easier for ausiis to get visas over there than chinese...

anyone can help please??

Short Approach?
3rd Aug 2008, 13:53
The following nationalities will be issued visa upon arrival :
Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong (SAR
China), Iceland, Ireland (Rep. of), Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Korea Rep., Malaysia, Monaco,
Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, U.K., USA,
Vatican City.

NG_Kaptain
3rd Aug 2008, 15:52
I think I read in 7 days that they changed their minds and have decided that expats can sponsor their friends as long as their monthly salary is above AED 10,000. All these rules are disgustingly unfair but I guess there's nothing one can do about it..

Anything new on that comment?

nolimitholdem
5th Aug 2008, 11:00
heheh What a joke. They better be careful or they're going to get what they wish for...tighter restrictions on certain nationalities entering the country.

Except....then who will do all of the appallingly horrid jobs? Certainly not the locals.

I predict a repeat of what happened when they offered amnesty on illegal residents and 300,000 promptly left. Labour shortages and increased costs for developers. Love it!

:ok:

Proximity
5th Aug 2008, 14:34
Vercingetorix

Well if you really are from 14N, 121E then these visa rules affect you or your friends, as that is not part of the civilized world.

Yallagoomy
7th Aug 2008, 03:05
Verci:

As one who also is partially resident in both your part of the world and the "sand-pit" - I agree with you.
Thank you - well said

YG

:D

Proximity
7th Aug 2008, 23:28
I should have made it clear for you Brits who can never infer anything. The poster above me said that the Philippines third world.

Don't worry, if your friends/family are from the Civilised World, they won't need to follow the new visa process; they can just come in as normal. These new procedures and fees, etc, are for all the Third World types only.

This was what I am referring to, I didn't mean to offend all you Brits who pretend to love jolly old England yet don't live there. Next time read the thread and figure out who is being called out before you jump into the fight.

Ketek400
8th Aug 2008, 03:33
Has anyone had a personal experienceof the new visa rules whom are from countries where we previously had to go get visa's for our friends from DNRD? Is it the same for us? Do we still need the visa, but this tme from a hotel of tour operator? Or do we also get the visit visa like the developed countries?

Rule3
8th Aug 2008, 09:58
Unless you are a Local you can no longer sponsor a friend from the non exempt list of countries. Their sponsor must be a local, a Travel agency or Hotel and they must have Travel Health Insurance.:{

Funk
9th Aug 2008, 09:36
I have had recent 1st hand experience with the new rules and it is a pain in the arse. For my 14 year old step son I have had to lodge a 5000/- deposit and he only gets a 1 year visa as opposed to my wife and daughter who get 3 year visas (no deposit).
I was a little pissed at first but the reality is it is still a hell of a lot easier than anyone wanting a visa on my home planet Oz (bar our south sea pommie neighbours - NZ).
The support office are also struggling as the rule changes are also a mystery to the immigration office people who issue the visas :}

Cyberbird
10th Aug 2008, 09:16
"For the record I am from London (born and raised), Belgravia to be precise"

good for you - but i have to make the point, being recently in Hounslow, i wonder whether London ist still the so called "first world" by now !?!:eek:
i would never like to live there - which goes as well for crappy Dubai of course - my time is running out in the sandbit pretty soon :ok: