PDA

View Full Version : China Shuts down for Olympics..!

On Final
26th Jul 2008, 08:14
China has shut down all expat pilots who are currently processing their background checks, work visas until October 1, 2008.

What does this mean? it means if you were getting ready to go for a job in China forget it, nothing will happen until after October 2008. It could be even longer if they include the special Olympics.

Time to rethink taking a job in China or not..!

:ugh::ugh:

NVpilot
26th Jul 2008, 09:35
Uh, tell us something new!

Mile Hi
26th Jul 2008, 14:48
Lot's of B/S out there sometimes , so if you have good info let's hear it about the work visa's.

Fareastdriver
26th Jul 2008, 17:40
Blame the Brits, blame the French. All these stupid visa, work permit restrictions are solely as a result of the performances in London and Paris with the Olympic torch. Up till then any terrorist threat to Beijing was limited to Falong Gung or other dissatisfied minorities. Now they have developed a phobia that anybody, asian or western, wants to get into the country so that they can make a big statement, the more violent the better, during the Olympic Games. The ultimate would be to fly a fully loaded airliner into the Olympic stadium during the opening ceremony. They have already covered that.
My experiences with the Chinese medical and licencing departments has always found them more than helpful, it all depends on how you talk to them.

There is one simple rule for ex-pat pilots in China. If they like you and want you, you fly. If they don't. you don't.

mingalababya
27th Jul 2008, 03:06
Heard the same as well, that CAAC will not be issuing any new licenses to foreigners until October. Flight schools also have been grounded until late September.

On Final
27th Jul 2008, 03:54
The general rule from what I know pilots are being restricted by most companies from interviewing and processing work visas until October 1, 2008. There is some truth behind if they want you to fly, "you fly" if not "you don't". I have been told myself it will be Oct. and I have passed the written and Medical and am just waiting for license verification.

I spoke to a friend who is in China half way through the process who is also in grid-lock. It may be possible for a company to have their own source at the CAAC to pull strings and make it happen sooner but I have not seen it yet.

If you look at some of the China flying jobs on Climbto350 they are saying interviews are in October as well.

China does appear to be in lock down..!!

Comments.....???

2Wright
27th Jul 2008, 11:28
Arrived China 22nd of June, CAAC Check ride 24th, Work visa medical the 25th, CAAC 1st class medical issued 7-5-08, CAAC ATP issued 7-15-08, Foreign expert workers permit issued 7-7-08, Residence permit for foreigner issued 7-18-08. Waiting for Boarding pass, am told it will be here 7-30-08....We'll see.

411A
27th Jul 2008, 11:41
Blame the Brits, blame the French. All these stupid visa, work permit restrictions are solely as a result of the performances in London and Paris with the Olympic torch. Up till then any terrorist threat to Beijing was limited to Falong Gung or other dissatisfied minorities. Now they have developed a phobia that anybody, asian or western, wants to get into the country so that they can make a big statement, the more violent the better, during the Olympic Games.

Quite likely true.
Malcontents elsewhere attempting to tell the country how to run their internal affairs.
Sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong is not adviseable.

On Final
27th Jul 2008, 18:29
I think you may have made it in before the lock down. The iron curtain fell about 10 days ago from what I have heard. We will have to wait and see what happens next?? :ugh:

"Arrived China 22nd of June, CAAC Check ride 24th, Work visa medical the 25th, CAAC 1st class medical issued 7-5-08, CAAC ATP issued 7-15-08, Foreign expert workers permit issued 7-7-08, Residence permit for foreigner issued 7-18-08. Waiting for Boarding pass, am told it will be here 7-30-08....We'll see."

2Wright
28th Jul 2008, 08:40
Was issued the boarding pass 7-28-08. 2 days ahead of schedule. Don't know about iron curtain, got 2 certificates issued in the last 10 days. Maybe the curtain's about to drop, but hasn't yet.

On Final
28th Jul 2008, 09:09
You must have been already processed by (license verification) CAAC before the lock down. The door closed on me because my verification wasn't in and I got the news 6 days ago....oh well. Good Luck..!

purple head
31st Jul 2008, 00:39
and if you need to re-new your visa/work permits during this time, thats also gonna cause you trouble

Always Moving
31st Jul 2008, 00:57
You are looking at this from a logical perspective. Obviously how else!
There lies the flaw! China is not logical.

Blaming the French or English is BS, they love this ****! (the higher ups) so they can roll back the clock another decade.

And YES! CHINA is frozen for the next 2 months.
(I always wonder, what it has to do the Olympics, with you doing your job or not, but MAYBE they have tickets!)

Fareastdriver
31st Jul 2008, 04:04
Some recent cases.

New Zealander working in Dubai with a Chinese wife and children, who are all Chinese nationals. Coming to China on leave so obtains a 6 month multi-entry visa in Dubai. Refused entry at the border. The Dubai embassy should have known that they can now only issue multi-entry visas to Dubai nationals. Leaves tearful wife and children to carry on and returns to Hong Kong to get a three week S/E visitor visa, only issued once, not renewable, so leave cut down to less than three weeks.

Norwegian working in China. Chinese wife, children and own property. Cannot renew his visa in China or Hong Kong, same reasons as above. Has to fly back to Oslo with a stack of paperwork to get a multi entry visa.

British, married to second Chinese wife living in China. He will have to return to the UK to renew his visa. His son by his first marriage has a British passport. He cannot renew this visa in China or Hong Kong and cannot take him to the UK because it would breach the divorce settlement and he would lose custody.

You think you’ve got troubles.

On Final
2nd Aug 2008, 05:04
China really blew it..! The entire World is watching and it was Chinas chance to show it's friendly side and invite the World to come and see the Olympics. Instead, China has shown the World it's true colors, that it is Communist China, by restricting Visas, Business and travel to China.

The hotels are at 50-60% capacity because tourists are being blocked entry visas and travel to China??? Teachers are being denied visa renewal and are being forced to leave being China. I guess that is why China is and will remain Communist China...!!

I think the Olympic lock down will open up sooner than later because even China is realizing it has made a mistake which is being viewed negatively around the World.

We will see.......:ugh::ugh:

thegypsy
2nd Aug 2008, 05:17
411A

I love your comment about not sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong.

You and your country are past masters at that.

Fareastdriver
2nd Aug 2008, 23:20
The Beijing hotels jacking their prices up some 500% isn't helping. The Ramada rates went up fom RMB 800 to 4,000. It cancelled my plans to go.

On Final
4th Aug 2008, 22:26
The Chinese Government will feel the pain for restricting travel etc. to China and the local Chinese businessmen are trying to compensate by jacking up the price.

We will see what happens next...........