PDA

View Full Version : Lieutenant Nichol Benzie, RN DFC

AHQHI656SQN
26th Jul 2008, 07:40
Nichol, fantastic news, well done.:D A pat on the back for you and your crew.

Tom

I'm Off!
26th Jul 2008, 19:11
I can only echo my esteemed colleagues congrats - well done Nichol, great news and some reward for the fantastic efforts of you&crew.

Are you staying now??!?

MightyGem
26th Jul 2008, 19:35
well done
What was it that he did well?

MaroonMan4
26th Jul 2008, 22:58
Well done Nichol - you actually earned it your first time out there but it got lost in the noise!

As to Nichol coming to the light blue - what would you do? Go back to flying robin reliants that the customer takes as a last choice (not through people but through capability) or come across and continue the outstanding work in an aircraft and Joint team that is actually doing something.

I hope that he stays with us - but I would say that to 90% of the Junglies that I have worked with over the years.

Big respect Nichol and to the rest of your guys that were part of the team.

KeepItTidy
27th Jul 2008, 00:04
Im lost too what did he do that was so good , as a pilot im sure he missed a school somewhere. well done :ok:

VinRouge
27th Jul 2008, 01:30
Very well done chap!

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/48BAC070-C7E8-457C-86AA-1170C4804109/0/para2.jpg

Very serious look though!

Story in the News Here,

Raf Chief Flies In To Hail Airmen (from This is Hampshire) (http://www.thisishampshire.net/display.var.1082997.0.raf_chief_flies_in_to_hail_airmen.php)

GreenKnight121
27th Jul 2008, 09:18
Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but... the article lists 3 DFCs... none to Nichol Benzie.

This is the only line to mention him:
Lieutenant Nichol Benzie, 32, will also receive a MiD for his gallantry.
Still a job well done, though.

The three awarded the DFC include Flight Lieutenant Chris Hasler, 26, a Chinook pilot.
Flight Lieutenant Craig Wilson, 31, was the pilot of a Chinook in the Helmand Province.
Royal Marine Major Mark Hammond, 39, was also awarded the DFC.

Sergeant Daniel Baxter, 27, a Chinook loadmaster, will receive the MiD for his bravery in Sangin.
Sergeant Graham Jones, 32, a Chinook crewman, has been honoured for going beyond his duties.
Lieutenant Nichol Benzie, 32, will also receive a MiD for his gallantry.

Further demonstrations of bravery in Afghanistan of Sergeant Samuel Hannant, 28, and Sergeant Darrell Harding, 37, both of 18 Squadron, and Flight Sergeant Andrew Welham-Jones and Flight Lieutenant Glen Militis, of 27 Squadron, will be recognised with a Joint Commander's Commendation (JCC).

PTC REMF
27th Jul 2008, 10:38
Nichol got the MiD for his work in 2006/7 on 18(B) Sqn Chinooks as the Naval exchange officer and he has received the DFC for his work on the same Sqn in 2007/2008. They were separate awards. the DFC has only just been announced.
Well done mate!

forwardassist
27th Jul 2008, 16:33
Well done, indeed, to Nichol and to big bald bootneck Mark as well. Seems like the Junglies have to fly with someone else to get recognition for their endevours these days.............:rolleyes:

I will go after rolling that fizzing cabbage in! :}

I'm Off!
27th Jul 2008, 17:08
Yeah, well done GreenKnight121 - you obviously failed to check any dates whatsoever. The MiD and Mark Hammond's DFC were last year.

GreenKnight121
27th Jul 2008, 20:30
Yeah, you're OFF all right!!

The question was raised about the actions that earned Lt Benzie his DFC, and VinRouge linked an article to explain what those actions were.

That article made no specific mention of his actions and only listed his MID!

Therefore, since I lack your god-like knowledge of everything in the universe, I thought a mistake had been made with which award Lt Benzie had actually been honored.

I now know, thanks to PTC REMF's helpful (something you apparently know nothing of how to do) response, that he was later awarded the DFC... the details of his actions which earned it remain unexplained in this forum.

GonzoTheGreat
27th Jul 2008, 22:19
Chaps,

Cheers for your kind words.

I find it most amusing that the fella who started this thread was actually keeping a watchful eye overhead the crew on the day in question. Thanks for looking after us! Hope all is well.

GreenKnight121
28th Jul 2008, 01:52
I apologize to the forum at large for letting someone drag me into negativity on a congratulatory thread for a brave man.

Sorry, and again, well done Lt Benzie and all the others mentioned.

And all those of all nations making a difference with actions, not just words.

microlight AV8R
28th Jul 2008, 09:35
Just got to express my admiration for all those mentioned in the news article link. Like a lot of folks, I question just what the hell we are doing in thses dusty places and bitterly resent the loss of so many decent people. However, my respect for our service people is total. I might also add that I find this to be the case with most folks I speak to.

What is so amazing to me, is the sheer volume of reports of such selfless bravery. You lads & lasses are a fantastic example to us all and all I can say is that this government doesn't deserve to have such quality at its disposal.

Stay safe you lot :ok:

MG
28th Jul 2008, 09:41
I think the confusion which seems to be apparent is that the newspaper article which was in the link is at least 18mths old. Nichol's DFC is new news.
Many congrats mate; it was good to work with you in the past and I that hope our paths cross again.

junglyking
28th Jul 2008, 20:04
Nicole, well done, got anything to respond to the chaps who want you to transfer?

Papa

Sy Clic
29th Jul 2008, 06:45
Well done Big Nose, not before time. Word on the Junglie drum network is you're leaving (amongst others), good luck. :ok:

I'm Off!
29th Jul 2008, 18:28
Yeah cheers GreenKnight, thought you might take it that way. But if you read your original post you might see why I felt I needed to put it that way. Try reading your post from the other perspective.

That said, it appears we are bitching about nothing as we are all on the same side in wishing to congratulate Nichol and all other recipients of Operational awards.

chinook240
29th Jul 2008, 18:51
Congratulations, Nichol, it was a pleasure working with you and having to share bunk with you out there!

I haven't seen a link to the operational honours and awards anywhere else so I'm sure Nichol won't mind me posting a link. Ministry of Defence | Defence News | History and Honour | Operational Honours and Awards List: 25 July 2008 (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/OperationalHonoursAndAwardsList25July2008.htm)

Dave Stewart
29th Jul 2008, 19:48
And I'd never noticed the size of his nose. Well done Nelson!

GonzoTheGreat
2nd Aug 2008, 09:29
As I've just left Odiham there is little chance of me changing the axis in which I walk. However, my collegues from the light blue have looked after me exceptionally well over the past 5 years (..other than getting me shot at) and I'm very grateful for their hospitality.

cutlass23
2nd Aug 2008, 21:10
congratulations mate; no wonder you had such a big steak at Oaks!!!