PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP keeps restarting on bootup!

Felix Saddler
26th Jul 2008, 01:23
Every time i turn on my computer it initially goes to a black screen telling me it wasn't shutdown properly and gives me the following options;

1) Start in safe mode

2) Start normally

3) Use last configured settings

The problem is whenever i click either 1,2 or 3 the machine restarts itself and takes me back to that screen so it wont start windows!!

Has anybody got any idea as to what is going on?

Thanks,

FS.

Shunter
26th Jul 2008, 06:37
If nothing else has changed recently, I'd initially suggest a possible filesystem problem. If you have an XP disc, boot off it, then use the recovery console and run chkdsk.

Could be a number of things, to be honest, but let's start at the beginning.

Felix Saddler
28th Jul 2008, 08:11
Yes that is the problem although i don't have my original XP disk!

rich_g85
28th Jul 2008, 12:35
Just to add to what Shunter suggested, if diong a chkdsk from the Recovery Console doesn't help - it is possible to boot from the Windows XP CD and perform a repair of an existing XP installation. This process effectively re-installs Windows without losing any of your settings or registry entries.

Post back if you need any more help with doing that.

Rich

rich_g85
28th Jul 2008, 12:37
D'oh - just seen Felix's second post.

Is there anyone that you could borrow a CD from? I don't think there's any licensing implications with borrowing a CD for this purpose as you're not installing a new copy of Windows, just repairing your existing (licensed) instance of Windows.

Rich

spannersatcx
28th Jul 2008, 16:54
Turn the power off at the wall socket, leave it a few hours then try it again.

This normally happens on mine when the mains trips for whatever reason, pc gets stuck in a loop, turning the power off completely sorts it, no idea why though.:eek:

stickyb
28th Jul 2008, 17:39
Does XP have the F8 option on booting? (I am still on Win2K)

If so, would be worth trying that and attempting to boot to DOS and running chkdsk

rich_g85
29th Jul 2008, 07:39
Stickyb - XP does have the F8 option at bootup. As Shunter suggested in his post, it is possible from that menu to boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk from there.

west lakes
29th Jul 2008, 09:56
I had this with mine for a long period last year. Finally realised it would start doing it after, if I recall, a indows update. Finally ditched Norton whichj I was using and started using another virus protection programme (McAfee) when I went from dial up to broadband.

It was only when I was installing it and reading the instructions that I realised that I had been using both the Norton firewall & the Windows firewall at the same time.
So I think there was a conflict between the two firewalls.