PDA

View Full Version : Repegging the Dirham

mensaboy
25th Jul 2008, 17:56
I read a very short article in one of the business newspapers in Dubai, that the repegging of the Dirham was a done deal. It stated that effective 22July08 the value of the dirham was to rise 5% versus the USD. It clearly stated that banks and all financial institutions were to abide by this revaluation effective on that date, yet it appears this has not happened.

Since I have not seen any other articles regarding this new policy, I am starting to believe this report was not accurate.

Does anyone know if indeed this policy has taken effect? I have searched the internet for articles substantiating the one I read, but I cannot find anything. Since there is no mention of this on Pprune, I am tending to believe it was speculation and not based on truth in spite of the fact it gave the exact date and the 'new' pegged value.

I am also concerned because I happen to have a rather large (from my POV) cheque being cashed in Dirhams in 2 days, based on its value in USD. I am sitting here shaking my head just imagining that my cheque will be cashed the day before I could have saved 5%, argh.

Anyhow, I do not wish to start a rumour or get people's hopes up, but that article was quite clear. Only wish I cut it out or remembered the business newspaper it was in. Has anyone else heard about this potential bump in the value of the dirham??

White Knight
25th Jul 2008, 18:09
Done deal by whom? The UAE government has categorically stated that the Dirham peg will remain unchanged against the greenback...

QTRminator
25th Jul 2008, 18:39
Well I guess the government must deny any plans of depegging until it actually happens, to prevent to much currency-speculation.
Since we in Qatarairways just got an exchange rate protection introduced it would be logical that we're soon facing a depegging in the gulf, then our new program would mean a lot of good recruitment PR to a soon low price.:cool:
Maybe to much of a conspiracy theory?

Orangewing
25th Jul 2008, 20:04
I read that article too, and if I remember correctly it was in the business section of "The National", the new broadsheet about 3 maybe 4 days ago.
Hope that helps..? :confused:

helen-damnation
25th Jul 2008, 20:14
Gulf News on Wed 23rd July had an article which stated 5% in June/July 2009.
You could check their website.
Regards,
H-D