PDA

View Full Version : Win ME - Restore & Virus

AeroBoero
12th Oct 2001, 16:36
I don't know if this was already discussed here, but I'll do it anyway;

For those of you that use the Windows ME (like me) beware of the possibility that a virus deleted by your Anti-Virus program - I use NAV 2001 - it is highly possible that the virus will be stored in the RESTORE directory that Win ME uses when you for one reason or another needs to restore your system.
So when you restore your previous system , the virus will be activated.
On the NAV the directory Restore is in the exclusions list....I suggest you to modify that.
Once you got rid of the virus - be by deleting it when receiving via e-mail or other forms - do a scan on that directory. You'll be surprised that the guy is there.
For removing it from there you need to reboot your machine directly into DOS mode (do not use the rescue disk) and go to the anti-virus directory (NAV on my case) and do a manual scan and repair of that directory (inclusive sub-folders). That is the only way I found to do that because while the windows is active , my NAV wasn't able to delete the virus.

Maybe there are other ways to deal with it or was already discussed here...but never is too much to be reminded for this things....

AB

What_does_this_button_do?
12th Oct 2001, 17:23
I think you mean this:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

AeroBoero
12th Oct 2001, 20:31
Thanks for the tip.

I didn't go to the Symantec site earlier because I was unaware of this problem - mostly because I am still new to the Win ME. I got the info on this particular problem via another bulletin board just two days ago and today I received a an infected e-mail. So after deleting the virus I went to scan the Restore directory and found it there. What I did then is already described in my above post. Although it was a bit of work, it resolved my problem.

Anyway...thanks again for the tip.

AB