PDA

View Full Version : Working in the ME

pala35
25th Jul 2008, 00:52
Hi everyone,

Question which has alot of mixed experiences and answers but would like to hear from people working in the gulf at the moment if possible.
I am 35 yrs old married and 1 kid (2 years) origin is from the middle east but born and lived all my life in europe.
I speak arabic but to a certain level.
My qualifications at the moment: I have a EASA part 66 B1 with a B777-200/300 type rating with GE 90 engines. and second type is A330-200/300 with Cf6-80E engines.In total have 15 years experience in aviation (in europe).
Which airline would be recomended at the moment and if possible some currenct info please on especially housing ,medical,pay etc etc and how if it could be compared to major carriers in europe (maintenance).
Thank you in advance for any information.

Regards,

Pala

ROLEX_DOHA
25th Jul 2008, 01:16
WELL THE 1 THING YOU CAN FEEL ASSURED ABOUT IS JOB SECURITY IN THE ME. WITH OIL PRICES RISING AND AIRLINES STRUGGLING............ DEF THE ME IS THE PLACE TO WORK.

TRY QATAR AIRWAYS. 28 x A330 AND 2 x 777, WITH MORE ON THE WAY

Jet II
25th Jul 2008, 12:36
With your types you should be OK for a job with any of the big airlines in the region. As to what airline you should look at, well that depends on what sort of lifestyle you want - Qatar is a small town and somewhat isolated with not a lot to do, Dubai is a mega building site with not a lot of 'Local' colour left.

Housing is the biggest isssue throughout the region at the moment - if you come in as an LAE (for which you need to have proof of 5 years certification) then you will be provided with an apartment - but it might not be in the location you want.

Pay is reasonable compared to Europe but there is major inflation throughout the region so you wont be able to save mega amounts like you may have done in the past.

If you want any more detailed info PM me.

goldbudgie
26th Jul 2008, 06:29
Qatar AW, Etihad and Emirates are the big ones hiring right now. There are also a few more small airlines in the region hiring. With your Licences getting a job would not be much of a problem.
The pay is pretty good as it is tax free so you should be able to save a decent amount. But remember you are not in Europe - there are no unions here and employees have no voice. If you don't like any of the conditions all you can do is leave. No chance to complain for fairness and expect them to change conditions. Most companies expect you to work 48 hrs a week and do overtime in your days off. Yes, you might be paid O/T but don't think of quality time with the family. You will also be called to work at very short notice or stay back after work to cover for someone.
As has been mentioned by other members, inflation rate is pretty high and accomodation is very costly unless they give you a house. Summer temp goes up to about 50 deg and if you are working in the Line this is also something to consider.
As you are M/E background (hopefully) you won't have much of a problem adjusting to the culture. Short term I think you should give it a try - Best of Luck!!!