PDA

View Full Version : FLYBE

pax britanica
24th Jul 2008, 21:07
A quick question, I couldnt find either FlyBe or Southampton in the Airlines airports and routes section so thought I would post here

My daughter is flying Sou-Limoges in August on Flybe and I was curious what the a/c type is a Q400 or Embraer.

She will need a bit of reassuring if its a Q400 as she is of a generation where props equals very old

Anyone know what type flies the route
Thanks in advance

PB

Wycombe
24th Jul 2008, 22:03
I believe it's the "dash" on that route, as it for most of the French destinations from SOU. I think only Nice gets the 195 (maybe Perpignan as well, but that's it).

I actually think the Q400 is quite a nice aircraft from a pax point of view.

For a turbo-prop, it goes like stink aswell!

pax britanica
25th Jul 2008, 08:02
Wycombe

Thanks
I am jealous because I am keen to try a Q400 since I like T props and spent many happy trips around the Caribbean on the smaller dashes and ATRs .

Shes a very expereinced flyer but a still a nervous one and seeing props wil bother her unless I explain its probably one of the newest aircaft she has ever flown on.

Thanks
PB

G SXTY
25th Jul 2008, 15:33
pax britanica

Well I drive 'em, and believe me, I wouldn't unless I was happy that they're perfectly safe. The Q4 is a great aircraft, fantastic engines, completely overpowered and very fast for a turboprop. It also has huge electrical redundancy, and Flybe's training and maintenance standards are up there with the best. She will indeed be flying one of the newest aircraft out there - they are still being delivered!

One of the few downsides from a pax point of view is that landings can be quite firm (due to aircraft geometry and landing gear design) but rest assured it's perfectly safe.

Feel free to PM me if further reassurance required!

Maude Charlee
26th Jul 2008, 13:11
I'd be far more concerned about flying from Southampton personally. :}

bruppy
26th Jul 2008, 14:04
Flybe's training and maintenance standards are up there with the best. She will indeed be flying one of the newest aircraft out there - they are still being delivered!

Thats why there are still so many cancellations to the Flybe program and why SAS have domped ALL of thier Q400's after just a couple of years!!!

Have flown many times (eventually after the obligatory Tech delay) in the 400's and find them noisy to say the least.

Cyclone733
26th Jul 2008, 14:44
bruppy,

SAS are in the process of recieving new Q400s so they can't be too hacked off by them.

As for delays caused by the aircraft, why not take a day and go by train?

G SXTY
26th Jul 2008, 15:19
bruppy
Perhaps you could tell us your technical qualifications and/or operational experience on the Q400, so that the original poster can balance your opinion against that of a pilot who flies them?

Beaver man
26th Jul 2008, 15:40
Pax, as I once said to my better half, " It's when the props stop going round that's when you worry" !! es, we do suffer from tech delays, but name me an airline that doesn't.

pax britanica
27th Jul 2008, 16:00
thanks again esp tp G SXTY . She will be fine ;she's flown a grea deal but only once behind a prop and that was in NZ and she was wearing a parachute.

As I said I like them myself and they make a change from fans engined sameness.

Delays happen everywhere and she has a reasonably early flight in the day so hopefully no delay build up. As for the SAS probs it does apear from the threads here and elsewhere that there was some peculiarity specifc to SAS and perhaps their early Q400s which doesnt seem t have been replicated elsewhere. As i said thanks to all for taking the time to reply

PB

foxy_baby
28th Jul 2008, 14:06
I too didnt like the idea of prop planes, however Ive flown on Flybe's Dash's quite a few times now and love them, she will be fine

Helen49
29th Jul 2008, 16:43
Flown with Flybe on the Dash8 Q400 many times, never been delayed except when they substituted an Emb195 which for some reason took longer than the Dash does for the same flight! Dash 8 appears to be an excellent aircraft to me!
H49