PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Number Manager

Anon-x
2nd Jul 2000, 21:00
Does anyone know of a program for downloading phone numbers into a mobile phone to save the tiresome job of inputting numbers by hand?

fobotcso
22nd Jul 2000, 16:18
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Your post slipped off the bottom of the screen and "out of sight..."

Starfish have a program that was bundled with my new Motorola L7089 that has an IR port. The program is called Truesync Plus and will synchronise various data file formats from various PIMs with various bits of hardware.

It can be used with a serial link if there is no IR link. It even has its own PIM called Truesync Desktop into which you can import lists from Excel, DBase etc.

But it's "flaky" and hard work to get to understand. The support web site has 472 FAQs! So you can see that some perseverance is needed. However, it does work when you get the hang of it and it sure beats the hell out of punching 200-300 names and 'phone numbers directly into the mobile.

http://www.starfish.com

Kagamuga
22nd Jul 2000, 16:41
For Nokia use the Data Suite, good enough reason to buy Nokia, very user friendly, and saves to disk via a excel programme.

Sensible
24th Jul 2000, 00:50
Starfish is beyond me. I still do it manually

It's a lot easier !

Tallbloke
24th Jul 2000, 01:08
Kagamuga,
I have used NDS 2 in the past, it has a flaw I cannot fathom, perhaps you can help. All of my numbers are stored with the intl prefix +44. However, when I export the phone book to the PC, Excel reformats the numbers, removing the "+". If I import this back into the phone the numbers do not work (they are invalid. Any thoughts?

fobotcso
24th Jul 2000, 02:35
TB,

May I add two pennyworth to whatever Kagamuga has to say?

Could be that you have to tell Excel that the data in the phone number cells (presumably a column) should be treated as text. Otherwise Excel will treat them as numerical data where a "+" is superfluous.

fob