PDA

View Full Version : Fliers Complain About X-Rated Security Screenings

Sunfish
23rd Jul 2008, 20:20
Please allow me to express my utter contempt for the TSA and airport security screeners.

cbs2chicago.com - Fliers Complain About X-Rated Security Screenings (http://cbs2chicago.com/investigations/xrated.security.screenings.2.777423.html)

Fliers Complain About X-Rated Security Screenings

TSA Agents Forced Woman To Remove Nipple Rings, Pulled Pants Off Disabled Man

Reporting
Pam Zekman

When travelers go to the airport, they know what kind of security to expect: luggage searches, metal detectors and shoe inspections.

For arguing with a TSA agent, Robin Kassner wound up being slammed to the floor. She's filed a lawsuit.

And it wasn't enough for another woman to show TSA agents nipple rings that set off a metal detector. The agents forced her to take them out.

Perry was also taken to a see-through room by a TSA agent when his artificial knee set off the metal detector.

"He yelled at me to get the belt off. 'I told you to get the belt off.' So I took the belt off. He ran his hands down over and pulled the pants down, they went down around my ankle," Perry said.

At that point, Perry was standing in his underwear in public view. He asked to see a supervisor. That made things worse.

"She was yelling 'I have power, I have power, I have power," Perry said.

She said she always warns TSA security agents that her prosthetic leg will set off the metal detector, but many insist on doing an embarrassing full body pat-down.

cwatters
23rd Jul 2008, 21:31
Generally if anything sets it off you get the full body pat down.

WHBM
23rd Jul 2008, 21:34
You can express your utter contempt about the TSA as much as you like. They don't give a stuff.

Artie Fufkin
23rd Jul 2008, 22:54
I went through a couple of years ago with a broken arm in a cast.

For some reason the cast upset them. They threw all the contents of my hand luggage on the floor, swore at me and then left me to get down on my knees and with my one usable arm to try and pick my stuff up. The few people who tried to help me were moved on.

Nice people.

Flight Detent
24th Jul 2008, 02:30
This is, of course, discusting behaviour, in anyone's civilized world!

I've experienced similar antics passing thru JFK some time ago.

They can be made to 'tow the line' and 'show normal public service manners', should the controlling managers deem it to be so.

So my anger is mainly directed at the controlling managers, and executives, of the TSA, not the monkeys at the checkpoints, who don't seem to know any better, these managers seem to think this sort of behaviour is acceptable!!!

Not even under Mugarbe is this acceptable!

But it goes on....and on....

Bobbsy
24th Jul 2008, 04:41
SLF here.

They may have only had 110,000 complaints out of 2 billion inspections but I wonder how often this is because people are dashing for a flight and don't have time to escalate things (or, as per the article, are scared to make things worse for themselves).

I "commute" between the UK and Australia and used to frequently use the Air New Zealand Heathrow-LAX-Aukland-Brisbane route. However, after fair bit of unpleasantness with the TSA at LAX, I now avoid transiting the USA and choose other routings. An Air New Zealand manager told me (and I have no reason to disbelieve her) that a big factor in starting their LHR-Hong Kong-Aukland route was the number of passengers who wished NOT to transit the USA for similar reasons.

I have not problem with security but rude, power-mad, abusive behaviour should not have to be accepted.

Bob

FairlieFlyer
24th Jul 2008, 04:52
The Air NZ AKL-HKG-LHR routing used to be AKL-SIN-LHR, so not the case as they both avoid the US

More to be as a hub for China bound travellers

Xeque
24th Jul 2008, 05:05
You have to wonder at what goes through the minds of people who set up organisations like the TSA when you see something like this:
TSA advert (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/threats/index.html)
I find that positively Orwellian.

Overall, the passenger can still call the shots.

First of all use the courts and America is the place to do that. Sue the pants off the fools at every opportunity. Bring charges against the TSA operative (by name) and his/her employer (the TSA) and the Airport Authority for allowing it to happen in the first place. You have plenty of grounds - physical attack, sexual harassment, sexual abuse, ritual humiliation, intimidation, bullying, degradation, loss/theft of property - this list is long.

You could also force the airlines to intervene. It only needs one passenger to check in with hold baggage and who then refuses to submit to excessive 'security' searches. Just say, "OK. Thanks but no thanks. If you (TSA) insist on belittling me then I won't travel". That will delay the flight departure while the hold baggage is recovered. Magnify that across several flights and several airlines at a busy airport and you will soon make airline and airport management sit up and take notice particularly now when the airlines are already fighting extra hard for market share as passenger numbers decrease due to rising costs.

Then sue the TSA for the refund of your air fare. :ok:

luoto
24th Jul 2008, 06:35
I know many Americans are also ashamed of how their country has turned out. I stopped going before 9/11 due to the hassles then and mandated that anyone wanting a meeting with me had to fly out either to my location or to "neutral" territory or we did things by video. Not been back. A shame as I liked a lot of what I saw in the U.S. but the hassles outweigh the benefits.

Final 3 Greens
24th Jul 2008, 10:55
I agree with luoto.

The US used to be a great place to go to, but these days the hassle factor is too high to make it worthwhile anymore.

If things change in the future, I would really like to start travelling there again, but for the time being other countries are getting my vacation euros, such as Brasil this week.

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
24th Jul 2008, 11:21
If you avoid the larger airports the transit / entry / exit process can be relatively painless.

I found MSP, RDU, MCO and LAS all pretty reasonable, the latter 2 probably because they are accustomed to dealing with hordes of tourists.

SFO,JFK,ORD, IAD and MIA were less than pleasant experiences.

Pax Vobiscum
24th Jul 2008, 14:58
FairlieFlyer - the second direct flight (NZ38/39) was introduced only a few years ago (can't remember when, exactly, but definitely since 2000). AFAIK it never went via SIN, though there were always options to change planes there (and at HKG) that could be quicker than the NZ1/2 via LAX.

It wouldn't surprise me if avoiding LAX was a factor in popularising the new route. Transiting in the US was never a bed of roses, even before 9/11 :(

Mad-Ramper-Al
26th Jul 2008, 18:09
Guys,
I would have to disagree, not all TSA people are bad.
While standing in line last year at Sanford Airport in Florida waiting to go through security, one of the TSA guys decided to cheer up everyone standing in the long queues. It certainly lightened the mood of everyone there and was certainly entertaining.
I guess it all depends on how bad a day the staff are having.

M-R-A.

A330AV8R
28th Jul 2008, 09:14
Ya . . . . what did he do ? pull his own pants down ?

call100
28th Jul 2008, 11:29
Whats it like at Newark ???

Michael SWS
28th Jul 2008, 11:43
When I travelled through Newark in January it was quick, easy and polite; I was through the airport, from touchdown to train, in about 20 minutes. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Leaving was a little more chaotic, caused mainly by passengers who did not seem to understand the rules on liquids and removing shoes and belts, but still polite.

call100
28th Jul 2008, 22:31
Thank you.....:ok:

milkybarkid
28th Jul 2008, 23:14
On the other hand at a certain far east destination the security staff are young ladies outfitted in retro stewardess outfits. A full patdown is not so bad.

reynoldsno1
28th Jul 2008, 23:51
An Air New Zealand manager told me (and I have no reason to disbelieve her) that a big factor in starting their LHR-Hong Kong-Aukland
...well, it certainly was a factor for me in choosing that route recently....:)

man friday
30th Jul 2008, 11:18
had the delight of watching my 6 year old son patted down by thees ignorant clows at JFK on sunday.

We'd been made to stand next to the metal detector in a taped off area for 10 mins with no explanation.My son was shouted at for ducking under the tape by one of these T@*ts. my wife and i were both scanned and our bags searched.

security is a necessity these days, but a degree of respect for the travelling public is not too much to ask.

they reminded me a lot of traffic wardens, little people that need a uniform and rules to hide behind to justify their pathetic lives

A2QFI
30th Jul 2008, 12:59
Give people a uniform and others to shout at and they think they rule the wrold! In a certain ME country the checks on female passengers were so intrusive that it was rumoured that female staff of a certain sexual preference paid the airport management to be allowed to work there and molest the lady passengers. Reduced the wages bill, kept some deviants happy and shocked many passengers, one of whom was my wife!