PDA

View Full Version : Pilot jobs in canada

paul2123
23rd Jul 2008, 19:25
I have been looking into training as a Airline pilot for the past year and have been looking at various flight schools. I am from ireland and i have found a school in Canada CAA Canadian Aviation Academy does anyone know much about this flight shool? They offer an internship that when your finnished your 12 months training they take you on as a flight instructor and i was hopeing to live in Canada for a couple of years are there many Airline pilot jobs in canada or do you think i would find work easier in ireland.

ElSupremo
23rd Jul 2008, 22:06
Hey,

I'm in a similar position to yourself and have recently been looking into schools in the US and Canada (I too would like to one day live and work in Canada). Do you have a link to their website with course fees etc?

If you're interested, the best price I've found in N. America (for the JAA fATPL) is around £20k (a Florida school).

Zyox
24th Jul 2008, 16:09
Canadian Aviation Academy = new name for PRI / Pilot Recruitment Ireland / Pilot Recruitment International / PRI Academy.
Try searching for threads on those for more info and opinions.

nibi786
31st Jul 2008, 02:20
Moncton Flight College!

Affiliated with cabair, it is probably the best place (internationally recognised for its superior quality in training) to achieve a JAA PPL outside major UK FTOs....

I have done quite alot of my training here and I know the facts,.....

ask away :P

Nibi!

paul2123
7th Aug 2008, 18:09
Ye heres there website www.pilot.ie (http://www.pilot.ie) its the cheapest i can find let me no what u think.

paul2123
8th Aug 2008, 19:50
the cheapest compared to flying schools in ireland they offer a good alround package meals and acomidation included

Finals19
9th Aug 2008, 09:49
These schools are effectively offering you a CPL/ME/IR course followed by an FI rating and an opportunity to instruct? There is (or was?) a provision for non Canadian citizens to come to Canada and do their flight training and then instruct for two years on an approved visa scheme.

I am not too sure what the demand is like right now for instructing but if its anything like Europe, I would assume its quite high. Canada is a great place to fly, with friendly ATC and lots of uncluttered airspace. Its not as Americanised as you might think, and in fact most Canadians would prefer to state their historical links to the British Empire than compare themselves with their American neighbours (try mistakedly calling a Canadian an American and see the reaction - LOL!)

One thing to bear in mind is the market for pilot employment is radically different to Europe. There is very little jumping straight on to a heavy jet - you work your way up through instructing, air taxi (which is quite popular in northern Canada and provides vital transport up to the Indian reserves) and then onto to regional TP and jets) Most jet operators won't hire you with less than 2500hrs TT and most TP operators require 1500hrs TT min. An air taxi job up north on a PA31 might happen at 500hrs TT.

Be prepared to move around, and be prepared to live in some VERY remote places - northern Canada is beautiful but is a land of extremes - cold in the winter (minus 30 to minus 40 is not unusual) and very hot in the summer. Its only once you have done your time on the air taxi ops in the more remote areas that you end up coming back towards civilisation.

Best of luck in your pursuits.

preduk
9th Aug 2008, 10:17
I would love a job in Canada, I'm just back from being over there for a couple of weeks and it really is a fantastic country.

Whats the employment like over there? I was in Ontario who are struggling a bit with the credit issues and lack of jobs, is this the case in other areas?

Lost Lake
9th Aug 2008, 23:15
I am a Canadian who just jumped from the bush world, floats, to the small medevac world. The industry is full of wannabes, also called the 200 hr wonder. After getting you CPL MIFR, you usually start out being a rampy for a small air carrier. Sling luggage and cargo, clean airplanes, lots of grunt work. The economy is taking a down turn and the industry is tightening up. IF! you can get a job as a rampy, you could be at it for up to 2 yr. You must have a good attitude and be prepared to take the crap. Wages suck!!

Huge demand for flight instructors, but while it gives you hours, it doesn't give you the experience required by operatos. Check out WWW.AVCANADA.com (http://www.AVCANADA.com) for more info. You will get a better feel for the market.