PDA

View Full Version : Qatar buys C-17s

larssnowpharter
23rd Jul 2008, 16:20
One notes that Qatar has placed an order for an unspecified number of C-17s.

NEW YORK (AFP): Boeing on Monday signed a contract with Qatar for C-17 military airlift planes, the US aerospace giant said, without revealing how many of the long-range troop and cargo aircraft were ordered. The government of Qatar’s purchase of the C-17 Globemaster III airlifter will provide "new strategic-airlift mobility capabilities" for the Qatar Armed Forces (QAF), Boeing said

One is tempted to ask the obvious question: 'Why would Qatar need such strategic airlift capability'?

I mean most of their armed forces would fit in a C130:}

But, seriously, what are they going to transport and where?

I think we should be told.

VinRouge
23rd Jul 2008, 16:32
Old news, already done. They made significant contributions I believe to recent disasters.

If you use the search function, there is another thread with all the details.

rodneyn
23rd Jul 2008, 17:47
From Jane's:

RAF looks to buy more C-17s
UK Royal Air Force (RAF) commanders are looking to buy at least two additional Boeing C-17 Globemaster aircraft to boost their strategic airlift fleet. A third aircraft could also be purchased as an attrition replacement for a Lockheed Martin C-130J aircraft lost to enemy action in Iraq last year, according to the Chief of the UK Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy

TEEEJ
23rd Jul 2008, 21:30
Already covered here.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/military-aircrew/330770-why-does-qatar-need-c-17s.html

C-17s airlift Qatari mobile hospital to Pakistan (http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123012151)

Instead of relying on US assets the small fleet will allow them to deploy independently.

TJ

minigundiplomat
24th Jul 2008, 08:55
I think we should be told.

Why? Why? Why?

Are you a taxpayer in Qatar? No?

Well why in gods name do they need to explain aircraft procurement decisions to you?

Should a C17 be reclassified as a WMD, then I am sure there would be a clamour of public interest. But it is a transport plane.

Why did you buy your last car?

Thaihawk
24th Jul 2008, 14:18
Good on the Qataris for purchasing a fine airplane.

Let's hope the RAF receive at least the 2 more they would like to procure.

Hopefully the C-17 will be in production for many years yet.

Navaleye
24th Jul 2008, 16:48
If we intend to conduct global operations then we need global lift capability. The C-17 has proved a great asset and I hope the RAF ends up with a dozen of them. The case for the A-400m is much less clear cut.

Master Mariner
24th Jul 2008, 22:53
A little bird tells me that one reason they are being aquired is likely to be for Oil Spill Response (for deploying dispersants) in the Gulf.....as well as general one up-man ship and usefulness for moving heavy equipment for the State owned Oil and Gas industries

ecureilx
25th Jul 2008, 05:43
As a matter of fact, Dubai owns AN 124, though in Civil Register, and so does Libya, also in Civil register.

Both are super busy with the load of things flying around the world.

But wonder if C17 would fit the cost of commercial ops ? Being a military aircraft ... :oh::oh:

larssnowpharter
25th Jul 2008, 10:06
Are you a taxpayer in Qatar? No?

Er, actually, inasmuch as I pay taxes on purchases here, I guess I am a taxpayer in Qatar.

So, where does that leave your argument?

minigundiplomat
25th Jul 2008, 10:17
Urgh?

It's a military secret.

So there

smartarse!

larssnowpharter
25th Jul 2008, 11:54
What purchases do you pay tax on?

Beer mostly.

Local representative. Ha ha!