PDA

View Full Version : VB boss flags job losses

emergen
23rd Jul 2008, 01:59
The ABC internet site is reporting that Brett Godfrey has flagged the possibility of job losses at VB.

The company might be forced to resort to staff cuts if fuel prices continue to rise. "We're probably carrying, with this last set of announcements, a few more staff than we actually will need to to operate the program in the next 12 months,"

Not good news.

F111
23rd Jul 2008, 02:25
Nothing new in that statement, plus the price of oil seems to be heading south again, with another $4 drop overnight.

porch monkey
23rd Jul 2008, 07:26
Big deal. As if that wasn't a possibility. Journos really do grasp at straws, don't they.

dirty deeds
23rd Jul 2008, 10:39
Camp Davidian has been softening the masses for a few weeks now, sermon's have been hinting that "we have not had to follow our competitors yet, we have no plans at the moment to lay off the masses, but if the price of oil stays stays at these levels, all bets are off".

Reading between the lines, to me this means, we are about to sac some staff. Hope I am wrong!

As Madona's song states "I have heard it all before, and I knowwwwwwwwwwww, please don't say your sorry, I've heard it all before"!. They think we are stupid!:ugh:

Yusef Danet
24th Jul 2008, 00:26
In all fairness, there is a big difference between "carrying a few extra staff" and getting rid of staff by way of job losses. If VB is over staffed corrective measures may be limited to deferring a few induction courses, allowing natural attrition to take its toll, running out the leave some employees have accrued, and in the case of pilots, offering more leave, more part time (in high demand) and using pilots on V Aus and PB flying. Unlike the pilots, most VB jobs are handled by "volume recruiting" and is subject to a high turnover rate. For cabin crew, ground crew and pit crew you just need to adjust the hiring rates and the staff numbers will fall into line.

Kranky
24th Jul 2008, 00:48
Yusef Danet your 100% correct.

Dookie on Drums
24th Jul 2008, 01:28
+1 with Yusef Danet. Couldn't have said it better.

dirty deeds
25th Jul 2008, 03:18
Could not disagree more. If the business is not running well, they will just lay off people. Its in the pilots EBA. Read it and weep. Would not like to be in the last 150-200 pilots hired if oil prices rise again. As Camp Davidian has said in the papers if Jet fuel hits the $185-$200, there will be staff cuts, or should I say, "all bets are off". I am rubbing the sand out of my eyes because I just pulled my head out of it. :(

ozangel
25th Jul 2008, 05:22
Having been through redundancies/collapses a couple of times now - (beginning to think I bought the curse with me) - my perception is that the company is in a difficult spot - but is recoverable. The airline will again make a profit down the track (eventually), but I suspect not as hefty as in the past.

There's two schools of thought at the coalface:

1) The company is not in trouble, the media have blown it out of proportion, there will not be any layoffs, the management are telling the truth and are handling it. Things are on the up!

2) The company is in trouble (recoverable), the management are watering the situation down, not doing enough (brainwash and blame), and things will get worse before they get better.

(i'm somewhere in the middle)

Mr.Buzzy
25th Jul 2008, 06:34
Sure. Redeployment is a great idea...... Start with him!

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z