PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Twin-star

ali1986
22nd Jul 2008, 18:01
hello

I was just wondering what people are doing about their IR's, because of the whole Daimond thing.

I plan to go to stapleford after my atpl's and they are increasing the cost of training on theirs but are also offering training on the Piper Seneca.

So i was just wanting to know if people are continuing to train on the diamonds OR are they doing it on the sencas instead or anything.

Mikehotel152
22nd Jul 2008, 18:17
I think the Seneca is £500 cheaper than the Twinstar over the course of the entire IR at Stapleford.

Pass rates are far higher on the Twinstar.

The cost of a partial or failed IR Skills Test is more than £500...

ali1986
22nd Jul 2008, 18:18
oh right so its not as bad as i thought

cirruscrystal
23rd Jul 2008, 07:24
Garmin - Will take you 5-10 hours to get used to glass cockpit is the only down side (even with training software etc..)

Once you are tuned into Garmin your life will be MUCH easier on the Twinstar, from my experience:ok:

WIKI44
23rd Jul 2008, 08:10
I don't think it should take quite as much as 5-10 hours to transtion to a glass enviornment. You can easily reduce transition periods by

1. using software
2. thoroughly reading the manuals
3. back seating
4. sitting in the a/c on te ground and running thorugh drills

It won't take you more than 2-3 hours to become comfortable enough. Scan is easier. Cockpit layout is much less cluttered and buttons/knobs are much easier to reach. Plus all the aircraft will have a uniform layout, as opposed to two different senecas which almost invarable have different nav/com, autopilot etc. equipment inside.

cirruscrystal
23rd Jul 2008, 21:48
You are right - software and training aids all help with transition. i used mockups and sims but even so there is a minimum of 5 hours for anybody to transition between analogue and glass, more normally 10 hours.

Trend information is very hard to pickup initially and even after familiar still hard to identify trends which one takes for granted with analogue instruments. There is a well known school of thought that analogue instrumentation is in fact far better at presenting data to a pilot. There is a middle ground i think as you say it is a far less cluttered setup and also a more compact scan can be done with glass.

One thing you will notice is that your brain tries to process numerical information presented by the altimeter and TAS which is not very helpful when instrument flying.

ali1986
24th Jul 2008, 08:06
So are more people going glass or are they staying with the analogue?

If so why?

cavortingcheetah
24th Jul 2008, 08:25
:hmm:

Not having flown for a long time, had to do a full ATPL/IR flight test in South Africa earlier this year. Although I had plenty of glass experience I decided to do the training and test on a Twin Commanche rather that a Twin Star and am glad I did. It would have taken longer to get used to a different glass setup than it did to go back to an analogue.
However, if you are training up for a professional licence, you are presumably looking at an airline simulator check somewhere either quite soon or down the line. I don't know what most airlines use as sims these days for checks, analogue or glass, but I think that if I had that particular decision to make, between the two cockpit systems, I would tend to be more motivated by what a likely airline company was going to stick me in to for their assessment ride.
I suspect that it is as difficult, having trained on one system to adapt to the other, although the analogue will always, to some extent, stay with us because of the basic training. Also suspect that in Europe, most sim checks will be done in either a full glass cockpit or a mixed one, where some glass experience would be useful.
If the pass rate is higher in the Twin Star then surely the dice are loaded in its favour over something like a Seneca? I do remember as well, from SA, that a lot of system knowledge had to be absorbed for the Twin Star. It is a very different aircraft than that on which anyone may have done their basic training but as has been pointed out, much of this transitional difficulty can be resolved by pre training flight book work and back seating, which is an invaluable aid.:)
Of course, another point to watch out for in all of this expensive decision making is how long Twin Stars will still be in operation, given the company's present financial difficulties.:ooh:

ali1986
24th Jul 2008, 08:33
hello

Did you prefer the Glass or analogue config?
as you say you 've had plenty of glass experience

cavortingcheetah
24th Jul 2008, 08:40
:hmm:

Couldn't really call that one, to be honest. Think it rather boils down to the whole aircraft. The Do 328 might be more amusing to fly in Europe than an HS 748 but I'd much rather go smashing about the African bush in the Vomit Comet.:)

A and C
24th Jul 2008, 08:59
Using the twinstar for your basic trainning is just a very good way to store up problems for the future and should be avoided.

Most of you will go on to fly airliners with glass cockpits and spend most of your time following the magenta line however what happens when the FMC quits?

You will find that in this situation the aircraft will have to be reverted to glass version of the clockwork cockpit. If you do not have the basic skills to fly the aircraft in this condition you simply should not be sitting in the seat.

A friend of mine who is a Captain for a charter airline had an FMC failure and the newish FO instantly made a "pan pan pan" call to ATC because of the failure of in the FO's words the "total navigation failure" (the Captain contnued the SID using the "clockwork").

This abismal performance is indicative of the very low basic skill levels that using a glass cockpit gives the student, to put this in simple terms if you cant fly the aircraft using the "clockwork" you should not be flying the "glass".

As to the exam pass rate it would seem that a lower standard of student can get a pass with the glass but have you considered that this fact may be lulling you into a much more expencive hole when due to lack of basic IF flying skills you fail a jet type rating.

ali1986
24th Jul 2008, 09:16
yes, but surely one day you are going to have to learn how to use glass cockpits wouldn't it be cheaper to learn now rather than when you get to your (expensive) type rating. And wouldnt you be taught how to use the cockpit with certain instument failures during your training. And isnt 'total' instrument failure quite rare?

Finn47
24th Jul 2008, 11:03
Apparently not, as the NTSB now wants changes even to A320 glass display systems which have failed 49 times in recent years:

Aero-News Network: The Aviation and Aerospace World's Daily/Real-Time News and Information Service (http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=1e422c38-a2d9-4016-9e2d-f7af16dadf8d&)

Cobalt
24th Jul 2008, 11:11
I think the pass rates difference between Seneca and Twin Star are down more to handling than to the avionics fit - the Seneca is quite a handful, you need to look after the engines a lot more, engine failures drills are more work etc.

Yes, with a wide G1000 horizon you are less likely to end up in a turn without noticing, and there are fewer tasks where you have to look at the other side of the cockpit so you are "off scan" less often.

I would guess that a G1000 seneca would have pass rates closer to the classic seneca than to the TwinStar.

A and C
24th Jul 2008, 11:46
This issue is not about total instrument failure, this is about loss off the FMC. this will result in the loss of the map function and so the crew being forced to return to the glass reprisentation of "clockwork dials".

This requires a good mental picture of the aircrafts positon in space and the ability to switch quickly to navigation without the big map. What I have seen from graduates of the magenta line kindergarden is a state of panic when the FMC has a bit of a brainfart, the result is the FO going head down pressing buttons in an attempt to get the FMC back rather that containing the situation by reverting to conventional navigation and then trying to get the FMC back.

All this usualy happens on the SID or STAR when without quick action the aircraft can very soon stray off track. Add to this high ground and a non-radar enviroment and you have all the makings of a CFIT.

As for doing trainning on "basic" instrument flying during a jet type rating this is a non-starter, these courses assume that you have a good level of basic insrument flying and if you can't hack it you will be out on your ear!

Doing the IR on a glass aircaft will not equipe you with the basic tools of the trade and you will be a worse pilot for it.

Keygrip
24th Jul 2008, 11:55
I recall, many years ago, conducting what is now called an SEP renewal for a 757 skipper who was on layover in USA.

I gave him a 'half mill' chart and asked for a VFR cross country to a nearby airfield. He elected to "busk it" (no planning).

On the downwind leg from the departure airfield he gave me the aircraft back - admitting that he "hadn't a clue" and without his magenta line and glass flight panel he was completely stuffed.

Gave him quite an uncomfortable wake up call, he said.

ali1986
24th Jul 2008, 12:01
i find it hard to imagine that he had no idea what to do at all.

Lost man standing
24th Jul 2008, 15:32
I'd like to confirm these ideas from the other side of the interview desk.

Some people have given very good reasons that I prefer to see training in a PA-34 (or PA-44, or a Be76) to DA42 in an applicant's logbook. If you can do it the hard way we all know you can do it the easy way, but doing it the easy way proves nothing about your ability to do it the hard way.

ali1986
24th Jul 2008, 15:49
So if you had 2 applicants would you be more inclined to choose the person who had PA-34 or PA-44 on his logbook rather than the person with the DA-42 in there?

I wonder what the flight schools think about that.

Keygrip
24th Jul 2008, 15:53
ali1968, you don't need to imagine - just trust me, I was there - he abandoned.

his handling of a C172 which he hadn't flown for years and years was similar to what I would expect if I tried his 757.

Probably why both JAA and FAA require flight reviews and/or recency.

ali1986
24th Jul 2008, 15:58
I dont doubt you in the slightest, i just find it suprising thats all

MIKECR
24th Jul 2008, 16:58
In the King Air(one of the new glass cockpit versions), El Capitan would have his screens on FMS mode, I would have mine on conventional VOR. Gave us good situational awareness. Having done my IR on a steam driven seneca, i actually found it quite difficult to get used to the FMS display.

Lost man standing
24th Jul 2008, 18:15
ali

All other things being roughly equal, yes. I am sure the schools are well aware of it. However they used to get the lower costs and they probably get higher pass rates.

It might be perfectly acceptable preparation for some types of flying, although I do know that even in one airline flying with glass cockpits they had awful trouble with new FOs trained in Twinstars (one of their training captains was a friend of mine). On the other hand I can't think of a job for which training in an aircraft with clockwork cockpit and six levers would be poor preparation.

As I said, if you can do it the hard way then you can do it the easy way.

ali1986
24th Jul 2008, 18:43
Ok this is a rough outline of what i can see people are saying

Twin star

Pros: Higher pass rates, reduces pilot workload and makes the IR simpler and introduces the pilot to the glass cockpit

Cons: Doesn't prepare you If things go wrong, more expensive, takes time to get used to the screens.

Analogue

Pros: Prepares you for if/when the FMC fails, Airlines like it better, Cheaper

Cons: More Pilot workload, the transition to glass on the flightdeck is more difficult

Lost man standing
24th Jul 2008, 20:20
Analogue

Cons: ... the transition to glass on the flightdeck is more difficultWhy? The tricky thing about glass is the actual operation of the system, not the interpretation of the data and flying by it. The operation is different depending on the system, so I am not convinced that learning to use a Garmin 1000 is a particular help when you get into a Proline cockpit.

As for pilot workload being high, that is the main advantage to the potential employer. We know the pilot can cope with that workload, which will be experienced at some point.

Wodka
24th Jul 2008, 20:45
I asked about this at stapleford...

The IR training is still done with the aircraft in effective 'steam' mode... i.e. no moving map etc so the only difference is a more compact scan and simpler engine drills.

what's the problem with that?

Lost man standing
24th Jul 2008, 21:04
Nothing specifically wrong with it. It is not an vital consideration (one of the best pilots I have recruited trained on the DA42 at Stapleford). The pilot's attitude to work is far more important, for example. Experience is the most important factor in recruitment.

However the presentation of information in the DA42 is different, and of course better. Thus when they get into my clockwork cockpit the person who trained in a clockwork cockpit, the hard way, is at a small advantage. Many pilots will also fly piston or turbo-prop aircraft and will have to cope with more levers than the DA42 has.

Remember, moving to a simpler aircraft is not a problem. Moving to a more complicated aircraft might be!

cirruscrystal
24th Jul 2008, 21:27
An interesting debate this one!

One other important difference i found is the Glance factor - it does take time to not be able to glance for instance at the Airspeed to see green, white arcs , and vsi etc..

Operation of the unit can easily be learnt on the grounds with mock ups.

Another difference with the DA42 is stability - it does float around more than a seneca which tends to sit more like a lump where you put it.

A and C
24th Jul 2008, 21:48
As someone said an interesting debate, on one side the rose tinted glasses of the would be airline pilots wanting to fly the latest hi-tech kit and on the other side the people with thousands of airline hours issueing words of caution that are being dispelled by those with not enough hours to know much about the subect past buying the dream from a glossy sales leflet.

No way will the glsss cockpit in the Twin-star help you get a grip on a modern FMC, Ironicly the King KLN90 & KLN98B have some of the operating logic of the Boeing FMC but these are not sexy enough for the Twin-star. So the twin-star fails to win on both counts

Wodka I refer you to the statment by Christine Keeler in the Perfumo trial.

silverknapper
24th Jul 2008, 22:43
An interesting debate.
I did my IR on a steam driven Cougar. When I was doing my check ride for my current job in a steam driven Jetstream I had the necessary scan in place.
The G1000 is not like an EFIS flight deck, tho certainly much more so than an old seneca. Therefore it will stand you in better stead for an EFIS job.
People will always want it done the hard way because they did it that way. Diamond are to be applauded for moving GA forward, it is just a shame the engine situation has developed.
Incidentally does anyone know where the G1000 simulator can be found. The GNS430 sim was on the web site but I can't find the G1000 one.

ali1986
24th Jul 2008, 23:54
I know its only a sim before im shot down

but i think on flight simulator x for the pc had the cessna with the garmin 1000.

jb5000
25th Jul 2008, 15:36
I'm sure I'm missing something here.

I did the CPL and IR in the DA42, and what are the extra functions that are of use to us that are not available in a Seneca?

The moving map was, of course, removed. I had the glass horizon and HSI setup with the ability to choose what the bearing needles pointed at. That is all.

What extra 'FMS' style navigation was I using? There was no 'following' the magenta line, nor programming in of any SIDs/STARs for me to follow. I had to use conventional VOR/NDB tracking just like those on older aircraft.

I believe the F/O declaring the PAN tends to demonstrate a lacking in his TRTO for not giving him sufficient practice in flying using back up navigation or the equivalent.

Disappointing to hear about the interviewer favouring candidates who passed on steam driven aircraft. I guess I figured that level of short-sightedness deserves retirement as much as his beloved antique Senecas do.

mierda
26th Jul 2008, 20:49
During the IR course in a EFIS equipped aircraft you can ONLY use raw data and same goes for the skill test.
Very simple;
Why pay more to fly something old and tatty when you could fly something that was built this decade worth nearly half a million euros for less.
And I don’t quite agree when people say that its harder to fly something like a BE 76 than a DA42, it depends on the candidate. Ok with something like a BE 76 you have a few extra levers (mixture, props) , but you have a lot more complex systems in a Twinstar.

ali1986
26th Jul 2008, 20:53
Does anyone know if more ppl are flying the modern props or are more people flying the older ones for their IR

A and C
27th Jul 2008, 10:43
Wile I respect your opinion I just have to ask how much time do you have in the logbook and just what type ratings do you have (or had) to back up you opinion?

Lost man standing would seem to have a lot of airline flying behind him and the hours to back up his point of view.

mierda
27th Jul 2008, 16:28
Hi A and C

Like you said its an opinion, however for the IR course and test its a fact.The examiner will not allow you to use the moving map and load up approaches on your MFD.
Just to defend my opinion... I teach candidates on both types of machine.
They all have the good and the bad, but the bottom line is that its cheaper for the student to use a machine that consumes 40 ltrs of jet fuel (tax free) per hour than one that consumes 80 ltrs of Avgas an hour ( not tax free)
The real problem with the Diamonds at the moment is the Thielert engine situation.
The ability of a pilot depends on a lot more different factors than just what aeroplane he/she used for the CPL/IR course.
Anyway only my opinion-I hope it helps you guys decide what aircraft to use...

ali1986
27th Jul 2008, 16:36
Is there light at the end of the tunnel for the thielert engine situation or does no one know?

mierda
27th Jul 2008, 16:42
There is, it will get resolved in the not too distant future, and Diamond are hoping to get their own engine certified by the end of October.
If you are going to do your course in A diamond, find out from your FTO how they are dealing with the situation, and what plans they have in place when Aircraft goes Tech, when they need parts etc etc.

ali1986
27th Jul 2008, 16:48
oh well thats good news i thought things were looking rather bleak for it.

Just out of interest where abouts did you hear about that i ve found no news anywhere on it?

A and C
27th Jul 2008, 21:26
Thanks for the reply it was very illuminating, I am very pleased to see that the students for the IR can't use the aircraft for the IR test in the "full glass" mode.

However those who are choosing the aircraft because they think it will help them move to an airliner glass cockpit are also under a sad misapprehension as clearly they cant use any of the advanced features of the aircraft on the IR training.

I looks to me as if the PA34 is the route to go down, spend the same money as with the Diamond star, do an extra hour of flying and be in position that you can fly an aircraft with blue levers rather than letting the computer do it all for you!

In these lean times it may well come in useful.

First.officer
27th Jul 2008, 23:20
Well, trained on the Diamond DA42 with the G1000, now flying the Citation CJ's with Collins Proline setup and all i can say is that flying the G1000 if nothing else made the whole transition to the CJ's a whole lot easier with the Proline setup - all looks very similar in various respects to me and i would consider that if i'd flown the Seneca etc. for the IR it would have made my own personal transition a more protracted affair !.

Will say the FADEC setup made life easier for engine failures - will also admit that all the Senecas i've flown compared to the DA42 were awful bloody things - always different layouts etc., tatty and well past their sell by date in my opinion - each to their own i'd guess but if i had to choose again i'd take the DA42 every time, notwithstanding current engine problems.

Not sure how things are now with aviation recruitment but find it strange if a majority of recruiters out there are rejecting candidates because they did it the DA42 way rather than the PA34 etc., seems very short sighted if so as i'm sure there are equally good newbies from both the old and new camps - i get the feeling there is a little bit of a feeling amongst some individuals of "cheating" with regard to completing an IR on the DA42 which in my opinion is not so - suspect this is more to do with "doing things the good old fashioned way" rather than welcoming new equipment to the training arena although i will accept that the "good old fashioned way" may benefit those seeking work in the air taxi world with traditional analogue setups.

Just an opinion with all the above, i'm still fairly new to the world of commercial aviation and this should be borne in mind with all of the above comments i've made !!

ali1986
28th Jul 2008, 02:30
Shouldn't the school be in touch with the airlines about this if ppl are spending their hard earned cash on a expensive rating, only to find that this leaves them at a dissadvantage.:ugh:

at the end of the day an IR is an IR, it shouldn't matter what you do it in all that matters at the end of the day (half an hour after sunset) is how good you are at it i would have thought

bArt2
28th Jul 2008, 06:25
Maybee not completely in line with the current discussion, but...

I would not even consider flying an aircraft that shuts down the engines in case of total electrical failure.

An example, here Megginson Technologies: Land and Hold Short » Blog Archive » DA-42 engine failure (http://www.megginson.com/blogs/lahso/2007/04/26/da-42-engine-failure/)

Bart

ZEEBEE
28th Jul 2008, 06:26
at the end of the day an IR is an IR, it shouldn't matter what you do it in all that matters at the end of the day (half an hour after sunset) is how good you are at it i would have thought

Nah, not really.
An IR is ALL about systems management and planning.
The two go together and if you learnt in an aircraft where the systems were looking after you, the systems management becomes CONSIDERABLY different than when you get chucked into an 30+ yr old Aztec where the ADF has to be tuned and the DI and VOR are split.
Not to mention having an autopilot that only works on Sunday.

CirrusF
28th Jul 2008, 08:20

I would not even consider flying an aircraft that shuts down the engines in case of total electrical failure.

An example, here Megginson Technologies: Land and Hold Short » Blog Archive » DA-42 engine failure (http://www.megginson.com/blogs/lahso/2007/04/26/da-42-engine-failure/)

Bart

Oh yawn yawn. This has been discussed endlessly. If you are too stupid to read the flight manual of an aircraft then what do you expect? The manual states perfectly clearly that you should not take off with a flat battery.

Loads of other aircraft have crashed because they took off with empty fuel tanks - I suppose you won't fly any of those aircraft either?

OneIn60rule
28th Jul 2008, 08:20
I did my IR on the Glass.

Renewed my IR on the Analogue.

Not shocking at all to see someone go woot woot FMC died, we dead..

I mean you train them on that, makes life easy, no?

A bit horrid though if they can't use backup systems which have worked for eons.

1/60

Cobalt
28th Jul 2008, 13:50
Oh yawn yawn. This has been discussed endlessly. If you are too stupid to read the flight manual of an aircraft then what do you expect? The manual states perfectly clearly that you should not take off with a flat battery.

I think the above is grossly unfair. The checklist only said that "start the other engine normally" or words to that effect, not "WARNING! The other engine must be started using on-board power to ensure the battery is working". Looking at how the various parties reacted to this particular incident it is perfectly clear than no-one anticipated that particular failure scenario - and the fix also was a MSB, not just an update to the checklist. Yes, ultimately poor checklist discipline was the last hole in the cheese, but the root cause was a design flaw that now has been fixed.

Ultimately the DA42 is a new airframe, and while I am sure that there may be one or two flaws still to come out, it has a commendable safety record.

bArt2
30th Jul 2008, 05:56
Quote:

Bart

Dear CirrusF, as the tone of your answer gives me the impression that you think you know everything,:hmm: has it occured to you that a total electrical failure can occur, even without the pilot causing it. I guess not.

Nice aircraft I would say, if you are to stupid to read the flight manual, then you deserve to die. I did not see the manual but I suppose there is a
page-size large red boxed warning stating in big bold letters, "TAKING OFF WITH A FLAT OR WEAK BATTERY COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF BOTH ENGINES"

Having a total electrical failure you will have your hands full trying to get to a suitable aerodrome and making a safe landing. Having the two engines fail at the same time will not make it easier.

I would not want to be in an aircraft, flying IMC over the mountains, limited panel as a glider.

Loads of other aircraft have crashed because they took off with empty fuel tanks - I suppose you won't fly any of those aircraft either?

Bullsh.it remark but it is very easy to see if a tank is empty, not so obvious to see how weak a battery is.

bjkeates
30th Jul 2008, 10:46
Bullsh.it remark but it is very easy to see if a tank is empty, not so obvious to see how weak a battery is.

Actually on the Twin Star, due to its design, it's not that easy to see if the tank is empty without looking at the fuel gauges! And somewhere around the same place on the MFD are voltage and current gauges, which would of course be showing abnormal indications if anything was wrong. The G1000 even highlights anything in red/yellow for you! If you do your checks properly, it's perfectly easy to see how weak the battery is.

ali1986
31st Jul 2008, 00:29
Can i be bold, and ask how come if the battery is flat then it will cause engine failure?

is it something to do with a diesel engine's ignition system?

bjkeates
31st Jul 2008, 11:09
No, a diesel engine works using compression ignition, i.e. there is no spark plug or electricity required for the actual ignition, it occurs spontaneously due to the very high compression of air and fuel in the cylinders. It's more to do with the Thielert's reliance on electronics than anything wrong with the engine itself.

Each engine has two electric Engine Control Units (ECUs). At least one must be working on each engine for that engine to operate. Normally if there is a major electrical failure in flight, the battery will supply the ECUs for up to half an hour meaning the pilot at least has chance to make a landing. Obviously, if the battery is knackered, that won't happen.

The battery being flat won't cause engine failure on its own - if the engines are running, the alternators will be working and supplying power. The problem occurs when the battery is weak and a large load is placed on the electrical system - such as raising the gear, which is what caused the crash in Speyer. The momentary power spike from raising the gear interrupted the supply from the alternators to the ECUs; the battery, being too weak, was unable to cover the drop in voltage, therefore the ECUs went dead and the engines stopped.

moggiee
12th Aug 2008, 09:57
The DA42 POH is quite specific - if you start with a flat battery, you may only start the first engine with external power. You have to wait until the battery recharges ti start the second on internal power. The crash in question was caused by failure to follow procedures.

the ECUs now have a battery backup fitted so the problem should be avoided now, anyway.

Cobalt
12th Aug 2008, 19:49
I wish people would actuall look at the checklist as it was at the time before they spout nonsense like "big fat warning - stupid pilots".

This is what it looked like at the time:

< normal starting engine stuff >

WARNING

If the oil pressure has not moved from the red range within
3 seconds after starting, set the ENGINE MASTER switch
to OFF and investigate problem. When starting the cold
engine, the oil pressure can be as high as 6.5 bar for a
maximum of 20 seconds

10. Circuit breakers.................. check all in / as required
11. Idle RPM........................... check, 900 +-20 RPM
12. External Power................... disconnect
13. Opposite engie................... Start with normal procedure
14. Warm up .......................... IDLE for 2 minutes / thereafter 1400 RPM

END OF CHECKLIST

So yes, it is clear that the other engine should be started normally, and yes, following this procedure would have (probably) prevented the accident (assuming the drain of the glow plug / starter motor would have caused the voltage to drop sufficiently).

But from the above it is pretty clear that no-one did see that one coming, and the procedure was not designed to catch that error. Just look at the WARNIG about oil pressure (which might cost you an engine) and not a single peep on the risk of engine failure on gear retraction (which probably costs you the airframe and perhaps your life).

CirrusF
22nd Aug 2008, 09:48
Cobalt,

The checklists are not a flight manual. The checklists assume that you have read and understood the flight manual. The flight manual has always been perfectly clear - do not take off with a flat battery! The checklists have also always been clear - check the voltage! It is not the job of a checklist to give a detailed description of why every check is necessary - it is up to the pilot to understand his aircraft by reading the flight manual, and understand why each check is necessary.

And it is perfectly obvious when you have a flat battery - the plane won't start so you need the jump-pack. You then have voltage and alternator current clearly displayed on the system page of the MFD so that you can monitor the state of the batteries and how they are charging.

Actually on the Twin Star, due to its design, it's not that easy to see if the tank is empty without looking at the fuel gauges!

There is an external guage supplied with every aircraft - plug it into the purge, slip it onto the purpose made notch on the wing leading edge, and it tells you very precisely how much fuel in each wing. You then reset the fuel flow counters to the amount you have in your tanks. The fuel flow counters then give you a highly accurate readout of what you have left. You also have capacitive guages in the tanks with a display on the MFD to give you a second opinion.

bad_attitude
22nd Aug 2008, 10:19
having trained on both the DA42 and the PA34-220T - i would go for the DA42 any day, even though the Seneca has over 1.5 times the power and doesn't require any rudder.

It's true the G1000 makes life really easy with the full motion map display, GPS assistance and what not and realy spoils you. but while training, my instructor would have me shoot ILS approaches under the hood, single engine, with a couple of breakers popped.

so be it glass or analog, when it comes to partial panel flying, it's all about situational awareness. But when it comes to normal flying, why not learn on and get used to glass? After all, it's the present and the future.

Once you go Glass, there's no looking back! :ok::ok::ok:

CirrusF
22nd Aug 2008, 13:05
so be it glass or analog, when it comes to partial panel flying, it's all about situational awareness. But when it comes to normal flying, why not learn on and get used to glass? After all, it's the present and the future.

I'd agree with that. Anyway, once you've learnt on glass, it is really easy to learn to analogue if you need to. It is certainly a lot easier to go glass=>analogue than to go analogue=>glass.

SimJock
22nd Aug 2008, 16:10
For a 'new' aircraft, there are a suprising number of DA42's appearing on the second hand market of late. Are owners getting jittery about their engine warranties/servicing ?

Also, one flight school checked today, are deferring their choice of IR Simulator which was to be a DA42 but may now be a PA34/44.

Hmmm...

bad_attitude
23rd Aug 2008, 01:46
the engine issues could be a reason ... but they seem to be resolved now ...

Jun. 18, 2008
http://web.thielert.com/images/basic/spacer.gif
Full Head of Steam for Engine Production at THIELERT Lichtenstein/Saxony, June 18, 2008 – The insolvent Thielert Aircraft Engines GmbH (THIELERT) has resumed full production of aircraft engines. With immediate effect, the company can once again supply the THIELERT Centurion 2.0 engine in large quantities.

Centurion Engines (http://www.centurion-engines.com/)

tingtang
18th Sep 2008, 14:30
I'm soon starting the flying part of the conversion of my FAA CPL/IR to JAA CPL/IR and I'm doing it all in a DA42 as that is what I am used to.

Can anyone tell me what manoeuvres (in particularly the types of stalls) you have to carry out in the DA42 for the JAA CPL test?

They practice slightly different stalls in FAA land (they don't do the base to final stall) I think so I'd like to get an idea of what I'm in for.

Thanks very much.

fibod
19th Sep 2008, 09:43
I don't have any experience of training students on the DA42, although a lot on Senecas. However, an old pal who is now teaching on the DA42 told me that his opinion of the reason for the improved pass rates was that the G1000 display forces the pilot to fly attitudes correctly, leading to better technique and accuracy; you simply cannot 'chase the needles' using the G1000. That has to be a good thing, does it not?

Certainly, given that the candidate may not use the G1000 mapping displays to improve SA during the Skills Test, that cannot be the cause of the improved pass rates.

Although I am fond of the old Seneca, it has to be said that it is a little long in the tooth.

davedek
19th Sep 2008, 14:32
Tingtang:

For my CPL test in the DA42, the stalls I had to perform were:

1. Clean stall - Maintaining altitude with power at idle, entering a full stall, then recovering with minimum height loss.

2. Approach Stall/Base-to-final Stall - Approach flaps and gear down, start a 180 degree level turn, then once half way through the turn reduce power to aprx. 25%, and recover at the first sign of the approaching stall (which 99% of the time is the stall warner beeping).

3. Finals Stall - Set up with approach flap and gear down, perform a lookout turn, once the turn is complete select normal power for final approach with normal rate of descent, and select landing flap. Once flap is fully lowered, select aprx. 25% power, and reduce the rate of descent. Recover at the first sign of the approaching stall.

Some of the other GH was medium turns/steep turns, followed by limited panel (which is just the pfd covered up) where I did compass turns and unusual attitude recoveries. And of course all the one-engine-inop stuff.

Hope that's helpful.

tingtang
19th Sep 2008, 14:54
Hi Davedek

That was very useful so thanks. In FAA land they only practice the power off stall (basically final approach config to land) and power on stall (take off config stall with gear up).